What Is Prep?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MissMatty, Oct 10, 2011.

1. MissMatty

MissMatty Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Just a quick question, many of you have referred to prep time, in various ways.

I am an Australian, and as such it does not exist for us. Is it a block of time designed solely for you to prepare and plan? Or are there other duties?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2011

It can sometimes depend on your school. In my school, a prep period is generally used to prepare and plan, including grading, calling parents, etc. We do not have students during this period.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 10, 2011

Ours is called "planning." We have 90 minutes a day of time to contact parents, plan lessons, grade, make copies, etc. Up to 45 minutes of this time daily can be used to cover classes for other teachers or with duties assigned by the office, but it rarely is. Mostly we have student-free time to work.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2011

Also, at least around here, the same word is used to designate different courses you're teaching.

So I have a total of 3 preps: 2 different levels of Geometry and one of SAT prep.

I also have a prep period each day.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 10, 2011

I have 49 minutes a day prep time. We can be asked to cover another teacher's class, with no limit. Now that my prep is in the middle of the day, I am not usually asked. When I had prep the last period of the day, they were always asking me to cover for coaches leaving for games, teachers leaving for appointments, etc.
    We use the time to make copies, grade, prepare lessons. We can also run to town to the bank, gas station, etc as long as we are back before the period is over.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 10, 2011

The way we use it ...
    Prep means a class you have to prepare ... so, I have 4 preps (I teach English III, English IV, English Comp and Psychology).

Plan means a free period to work on class materials. I have 1 46 minute plan every day.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2011

I think this has already been said, but it can be used two ways:

1. The period you have for planning can be your prep, prep period, or planning period.

2. The different classes you have to prepare for. I teach English 2, Honors English 2, and Journalism, so I have 3 preps.

9. ProfessorJ

ProfessorJ New Member

Oct 11, 2011

I have a prep period first thing in the morning this year. It is much better when they are spread out.

10. MissMatty

MissMatty Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

Thanks for clearing that up. We have periods off to do prep, but it is not as systematic as all of yours sound.
    I have six periods in a day, and we have some 'free periods', but different amounts, some days we have none and teach all day, others we could have two or three.