What is on your teaching wish list?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by lnewbigging, Feb 16, 2007.

1. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Feb 16, 2007

If you could wish for anything to help you teach better or more efficiently/effectively, what would it be?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 16, 2007

I would want all the kids to come to school ready and willing to learn.
    I've got lots of "gadgets and goodies".

4. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

Less time during Instructional Support days devoted to obligated staff-development, allowing for more time in the classroom to get and stay organized and time for grading or prep for upcoming units.

I didn't say No[/] time for staff-development because there is a good bit I have found beneficial, but there is also a good bit I feel we could do without and would be better served in our respective classrooms.

It's hard for me to get much done at home due to housework/chores and devoting time to my son while I'm home and he's awake.

The reason why I would take this over kids ready to learn is organization will lead to efficiency which will lead to a greater ability to have a structured classroom which will help the students get on task and stay on task.

I'm an organization nut. I'm not the most organized or efficient now, but I will keep tinkering until I am.

5. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

More time to teach vs putting up show things.
    Budget to purchase organizational tools.
    Active Parents (other than parties)
    Smart Co-workers
    Less snooty principal

6. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

I've been in a few schools and in various socio-economic classes, however most kids I have encountered want everything handed to them. :eek:

7. HMM

HMM Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

anything....well then I want the ability to read minds. I have a few students that don't say anything. They never ask any questions, but I know that they must have questions because they don't do well on their quizzes and tests.

8. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Feb 16, 2007

LOL!! that would be cool and beneficial for those quiet ones, but it could be scary too! :eek: :D

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 16, 2007

I'm not so sure I'd want to know what some of mine are thinking!

10. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

I think mind reading would be super scary!!! Not just from the kids, but you could read your fellow teacher's and the principal's and the parent's minds too!!!

I would like a magic wand :) POOF!!!! All problems solved

11. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Feb 17, 2007

I'd want all of my non teaching tasks removed. No more yard duty, no more typing up weekly awards, minimal meetings, no more organising food and appropriate clothing for those who don't bring them, etc.

Then I could put that extra ten hours or so a week into better planning and more individualised feedback to my kids.

For gadgets - my principal has virtually promised me an interactive whiteboard this year - yay!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 17, 2007

It looks like what everybody is saying is that "things" are what is needed as much as time, support and a student's williness to learn.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 18, 2007

I'd like to get students who are accustomed to thinking, really thinking.

Then I'd like a computer with internet access and a printer at my desk. I feel like I'm teaching in the 1950s.

14. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Feb 18, 2007

How about smaller class size, a meaningful progress report and no non-teaching duties?

Fewer after school meetings and early release days (I'm on a roll now!), no pressures re. state testing, and adequate space within the school building.

A smartboard would be nice too!

On the plus side, I am grateful for having a principal who understands our woes, staff members who work hand in hand for the betterment of the school, and supportive parents.

15. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 19, 2007

I would be happy with more planning time, my own copier in the room, and a gift membership to the day spa for use on those stressful days! One can only dream.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 19, 2007

AMEN! That seems to be our going theme this year. How do you teach someone to think if they aren't willing to? They can read all the words, but can they apply meaning?

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 19, 2007

We are fighting their culture that encourages them not to think. I teach to higher level thinking skills always, not just for the top kids. Yes, I throw in some lower level stuff to ease their discomfort, but I know it isn't the important part. Consequently, my grades are lower than grades other teachers give, but I just think theirs are inflated.

18. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 19, 2007

mmmm, dreaming...I want less students per class, bigger classroom, bookshelves, windows (lots of windows) white boards, tables and chairs that move around easily, lap tops for every student (that are magically programmed to not get R rated or music or game sites) (and I can view all computers from my lap top) I want my students to get enough sleep, have healthy meals several times a day, not get pregnant or make other choices that take them out of their teen years early, and be curious about life and everything we study. Oh yeah, in my wish students ask questions, debate, voice opinions and allow for disagreement. ...oh yeah, and instead of grades we have meetings to discuss where their strengths are and where they need more help. They also get to tell me the same thing. I'm sure there's more, but I'll start there. Oh yeah, and somebody that's not me cleans the room every day and sweeps the floor. Ooooh! And we have access to unlimited art supplies and books. ...This is fun! I'll shut up now. ...monthly field trips to see plays and museums. I teach high school English in a city. Ooooh, soft lighting that doesn't give us all headaches - maybe sky lights! heat in the winter and air in the spring and summer. Have I asked for windows yet? High ceilings. ok, stop! Enough! This was fun - Thanks!

19. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Feb 20, 2007

Time! Being a first year K teacher, I feel like I don't have enough time in the day to complete everything I want to get done, before, during, and after school!

20. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 20, 2007

I'd throw away my grade book, never grade another paper, and get a smartboard for me and laptop computers for all my kids. It's fun to dream, isn't it!?

21. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Feb 20, 2007

I want a personal assistant! :D Can you imagine? Somebody to set up your parent meetings for you, help grade and file, take care of hall duties, make copies... do all kinds of things and just leave me to teach and learn. Oooo! Heaven!