What is on YOUR Christmas list??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

It's so much fun to see what everyone is getting others-it helps to brainstorm, but what are YOU asking for this year?

I would LOVE an electric drill. I love to build, and I've been using my boss' drill for recent projects. I could use my own. I would also LOVE a jigsaw, but I think that may be a birthday or next year Christmas gift. I don't know how much they are, but I'm thinking a lot. Or maybe dh could find one on Craigslist.

I also love jewelry and am trying to build a nicer collection, but not REAL jewels or anything. Artsy, nicer earrings and necklaces that might be around $20-30. A few pairs would be nice in my wooden shoe.

I always love cute sweaters/tops from places like Anthropologie, and I could REALLY use some new shoes and boots. Dh has good taste, but he's never gotten me clothes before.

I'd love a GPS, because I'm ALWAYS getting lost with my student or on Sprout runs, but I also want an iPhone and can turn that into a GPS. But I have Verizon, so I don't know if I'm getting an iPhone anytime soon, so maybe it would be good to get a GPS. That's a pretty big gift, though.

Bigger items that I'm dying for include a new couch and the chandeliers I've picked out, but they are too big for Christmas. Oooooh-or dh to finally say he's ready for a baby. THAT would be the best gift.

Anyone else? Maybe you have good ideas that we can add to our lists! ;)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2009

Really, honestly, nothing.

I have all I want or need.

Oh, wait. The dog chewed my favorite black shoes. So I could use another pair, but that won't wait till Christmas. :)

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

I am really bad at knowing what I want. My husband gave me a GPS last year and I love it. I don't need it a lot but I was always bad getting home from places I had directions for (in other words backtracking from directions). Now I never worry about whether I take the wrong turn or there is a diversion - my GPS can find my way. It has made trips much more relaxing - no worry.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2009

I second Alice's answer. I'll need a new laptop, but before Christmas, I'd buy it myself anyway. I do want my son to burn me another couple of CDs this year--"Music for Mom, vol. 3 and vol. 4". We do have a couple of big purchases on the horizon--a new washer/dryer and a flat screen TV--one of those will likely be Christmas.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 10, 2009

Is there a monthly fee for a GPS? I'm used to using Google Maps but the other day we were almost late to a wedding even though we left early since I was just following the directions on the invitation that didn't have a map. Thankfully someone at a gas station knew where to go!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

My mom called today and said my godmother had asked. All I could think of to tell her was a knife. It sounded really strange, but I want a good chef's knife. The ones I have aren't sharp or sturdy enough to do much chopping.

I also would like Up on dvd--I loved that movie!

I could really use a new digital camera--mine is a 7-year-old, 3 megapixel, battery-draining cheapo. But I don't have much need to take pictures, so I keep putting that off.

8. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Nov 10, 2009

Breadmaker
    Some more of the Christmas dishes I am collecting
    Kindle

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

Oooooh, the kindle. I've gone back and forth, back and forth on the kindle.

TWICE this summer I needed to read books before interviews and had less than 24 hours notice. None of the bookstores carried the books-it would have been great to be able to just order them for a kindle. But I do love my BOOKS, too. Tough, tough. Good choice, though.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

I also want a GPS. Having just moved, I think it would be a big help getting to know my way around here.

I asked parents for furniture and things for the house but we don't have a house yet. :-( So maybe just the promise of them for Christmas.

Also have a long list of DVDs

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2009

I think i want a new living room ceiling fixture, fan/light. The one I have is outdated (I think.)

12. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Nov 10, 2009

Believe me I love my books too....love having bookshelves full of them! At first I said I would never get a Kindle, but trying to be the tree hugger that I am I decided that I can reduce (not eliminate) my paper consumption with a Kindle. However, some books will just have to be bought!

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Nov 10, 2009

There's no monthly fee. You pay to update your maps about once a year - I think it's about $20, not too expensive. Definitely a handy thing to have!

14. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Nov 10, 2009

The ONLY thing on my list is The Nook (Barnes and Noble's equivalent of a kindle). You can even share books with others who have the nook! :D

15. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 10, 2009

The Nook sounds cool.

Hmm..I'd love if anyone could somehow land me an interview at this one place that has tons of openings and won't call me!!! -grin-

I'll probably need bigger clothes :-/

A nice blender would be very cool.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

I would like a nice swing for my porch. I would also like a good alto flute, but I don't think I can convince anyone to get that for me...

Trevor James Alto Flute

(Btw, I have a GPS built into my car, and it's well worth it. I love that thing.)

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

No, no fee for GPS. We have the TomTom brand and love it.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

I want a treadmill ... one I can run on.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 10, 2009

Mrs. C and Alice,
    I couldn't agree more! I tried to make a list of ideas for hubby, and all I could think of was:
    a golf umbrella for when I have car duty at school
    pajamas

Our best friend showed me the Nook-but the first thing out of my mouth was "I'll wait until the price comes down"! I am so cheap!

20. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 10, 2009

Nothing. It should be easy to get me everything on my list.

21. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

I, too, have everything I need. I'm looking forward to spending the Christmas holiday at home with DH and the cats. Being home for 17 days straight with them is just perfect.

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 10, 2009

I think I am going to ask for a jewelry armoire from DH, not sure about the smaller things yet. I think I may ask for some Vera Bradley things too - an overnight bag and some smaller things. I ordered a lunch box when I ordered some Christmas gifts and I love it ;)

23. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

Gifts for myself:

a new Bible - a leather bound one :)

Btw, the day after Thanksgiving, I got my GPS (a TomTom) for $50.00 after rebates from Staples - worth checking into

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

Just time with my kids and grand kids.

I've made a list of books on Amazon's Wish List so everyone will quit bugging me about what to get me. At this time in my life I just don't want or need very much.

Oh, I would like a trip to Germany and Italy for spring break...

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

Everything I want is expensive. So, we may buy the house a new dishwasher.

26. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

The only things I want or need are too costly. We don't spend more than $100 on gifts so that eliminates the furniture we need. It also eliminates things like Kindles and GPS systems. My husband would love a GPS, but unless I see a great deal, we are considering our new couch to be our gift to each other.

What would I like?
    Hmm...a diamond drop necklace would be lovely!
    I need new shoes and I realized neither of us had bought any new clothes since last fall so we would both benefit from some nice new clothes.
    I'd also like someone to buy the storage bins I need for our games and summer clothing. No one seems to consider those good gifts though.
    What else you ask? Paying part (or all!!) of my husband's tuition next month would be a real treat. Or maybe my dance lessons...but again, no one thinks it wraps up nicely and it certainly isn't the right price.

What I really don't want? More stuff to try to store in our house because it is seriously lacking storage space even with my creative solutions!

Of course, wine is consumable!

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

PS Jem - the iPhone also has an e-book reader app, like a kindle. In addition to the GPS. Its pretty much everything you want in one. :)

28. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Nov 10, 2009

A Nook.

[​IMG]

29. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 11, 2009

Jem, Verizon has a new phone called the Droid, and it's *almost* on par with the iPhone as far as apps go. My BIL just got one and now I want one.
    http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/#/home

Let's see....I really just want some new clothes and shoes. My husband's job contract is up Dec. 1st and it's not being renewed due to budget cuts...so we're really scaling back Christmas this year. :(

30. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 11, 2009

That's what happened to us last year, Erin. I got laid off the day before Christmas vacation, so Christmas was pretty much canceled for us. We've never been big on gifts, but it's nice to at least have the OPTION of gifts. Best wishes your dh finds something soon.

31. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 11, 2009

A GPS is worth its weight in gold ladies! Think of it -- no more getting lost, no more fear of ending up in a bad neighborhood! I like ours - it gives a picture of a map, and speaks to you! Lets you know you are going to exit the freeway left or right! Gives ample warning for changing lanes! Priceless in my opinion. It is a safety thing.

The only thing I really want is a good laptop. My university library checks out notebooks for a week at a time and I have fallen in love -- anybody, are they worth the price? I mean, a laptop the size of a good book, that you can carry in your backpack, lightweight. What are your opinions. I am also sweet on the new super slim red laptops. I don't know anything about computers. I want a computer for email, Facebook, writing, and keeping track of school stuff.

I have everything else I need and am not attracted to stuff. A parent recently gave me a good guitar to use in class, so there is very little else I want or need. Maybe a good winter coat.

32. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 11, 2009

Sorry to be so out of it, but what is Kindle and why do you all love it? I am a reading fanatic so would love to know!

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 11, 2009

The Kindle is an electronic device that you can read books on. The appeal for me is that you can 'order' books instantly, and they are beamed to your Kindle. So you could be sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's, and order Twilight to read. Heaven. Oh, and the books stay on the Kindle forever, so you have a collection of all your books in one spot.

The only problem is that you still have to buy all the books for the Kindle, so not only do you have to pay the upfront cost for the reader, you have to pay for each book. You can also subscribe to magazines and newspapers on it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Original-Wireless-generation/dp/B000FI73MA

34. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 11, 2009

Thanks Jem! I could not Kindle, because I can't get into reading large portions of print online. I still like to hold it in my hands, wonder who else has read that exact book. But I admit it sounds like a dream! Almost like magic! (I am a geek who always has a book in her purse!)

I buy very few books other than teaching books - but I do support my public library with $$ from fines!

There is just something about holding a book that you cannot duplicate. Is this true?

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 11, 2009

I don't really care if I get anything, but these would be nice little treats: :)

See's candy (1/4 lb box)

DVD of Season 5, vol. 2 of Melrose Place

Fun day at Seaworld

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2009

I have no list at this point. I'm kind of thinking a DayTimer would help me get a bit more organized- I could get it myself, but I'm thinking of putting it on my list. I just want my family to stay healthy, happy...We're all in a 'good spot' right now and maintaining the current status quo is tops on my list. I know too many people who are having difficult times of it in this economy to take anything for granted. Sure, I could make a list of jewelry, household items, clothing but really, I've got all I want and need, I'm thankful to have it.

37. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2009

I want to have at least one more Christmas with my dad and my brother in law. Anything other then that doesn't even seem important to me right now.

38. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 11, 2009

I want to get all of the co-pays paid off of my husband's medical bills. We are at $3000+ and counting.
    Having my husband on the long road to recovery is a gift to our family. He can finally start to enjoy life, rather than suffering miserably every day.

39. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 11, 2009

I really don't have any major needs. I really like a wardrobe update, maybe a new black wool coat. More than anything, I'd love some peace in my life (and help with the bills, but that is another story). I just feel like I'm meeting myself coming and going, and it will only get worse next semester.

Actually, a personal assistant would be awesome!

40. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 11, 2009

The only person in my family who gets Christmas presents is my nephew. This year I will give my brother one since he has moved back into the country this year. I think the only thing I would like for Christmas is not having to spend it alone...again:(. I usually go to a friend's house every other year or so for Christmas dinner but I would love to spend Christmas day with someone.

41. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 11, 2009

Proud, I would love to have your over for Christmas dinner. I am on the west coast. Can you make it?