What is my goal as an educator?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

I would like to explore this topic. I know that we all very on our opinions and perspectives, and so I am curious to know what goals each of you have. Let's remember that we are here to share ideas, and while we might not agree with all of them, there is a nice way, and a not-so-nice way of expressing them.

For my, my goals are to assist my students so that they each gain personal growth. I am not aiming for everyone, or anyone, really, to get a perfect 10 (equivalent to A+ in US). If my students grow in their abilities, that is all I ask.

I also strive to help my students to become deep, critical thinkers. I want them to question their world, and not just accept everything as is. Too many students see things as only black or white (I wonder if standardized testing has anything to do with this...), but have difficulty seeing the gray areas.

A broader goal of mine is that all educators, beginning at my school, strive for true growth in their students as well. This means that other teachers are not just handing tests, but have really prepared students by creating useful learning experiences, as well as having given them as many opportunities to explore their world. Why should I care about the learning that takes place in other classrooms? Because I care about the education of all students, not just my own. In one way or another, when students fail, we are all affected. Another reason why that concerns me is that my daughter attends the school I teach at, so I necessarily do care what's happening in other classrooms.

As far as implementing the last of my goals, this is a little tough since I am not an administrator, but one way I can begin is by continuing doing workshops with teachers (today I did a second part to my workshop I started last week).

What about the rest of you? What are your goals? What is important to you as an educator?

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Feb 17, 2011

The most important thing for me is challenging my students, but at the same time, making sure I support them enough to be successful. I want them to have to think, and think hard, but not get frustrated. I'd like them to develop confidence in themselves and their abilities, as so many of them automatically give up because they are "dumb."

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

I love that view. I think as teachers, it is our responsibility to help create learning experiences for students, and provide the support and guidance so they can be successful.