What is junior kindergarten?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by maggie123, Mar 30, 2012.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Mar 30, 2012

Is there a difference between "Junior kindergarten" and pre-k or are they the same thing with one just having a better sounding name?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2012

I think it depends upon the school/setting, but to me it sounds like another version of prek.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2012

For us, kindergarten is considered a two year continuum of skill development for our youngest learners. Junior Kindergarten refers to the first year and Senior Kindergarten the second. Students are eligible to begin JK as long as they turn 4 before the end of the calendar year.

5. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Apr 1, 2012

So the students are required to do the two years? or if they went to pre-k they could skip the first year? or just go straight to Sr if they are 5 without other school experience? (not all kids go somewhere before kindergarten) Or is it for those who are not quite ready for K?
    Just trying to understand how that works.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2012

Most students start in Junior Kindergarten, but some parents do decide to have their children start with Senior Kindergarten. Our Ministry of Education expectations (standards) for the kindergarten program follow a 2 year continuum, with outcomes for the end of the SK year.

The entire K program is an optional one, however. Many parents opt for alternatives to public kindergarten.

7. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Apr 4, 2012

I think because the K curriculum has become more rigorous and academic, JK can be an "extra" year between pre-k and K. Many parents just don't want that pressure so soon! Or it can be for the child who benefits from a more structured 4 year old program. Most children go on to K, but a jump to 1st is possible, depending on the child.

Sometimes it is called a 4+ class. The two-tiered K idea, Junior/Senior is interesting. My nephews in Florida did that.

8. Chicago Heather

Chicago Heather Rookie

Apr 12, 2012

In my experience they are the same thing, just different names depending on the region or type of school.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2012

I am not sure, but it might be similar to how they do kinder here. They have kinder 1, kinder 2, and kinder 3 before the enter first grade (or pre-first, if it's an international school like where I am at).

10. May 14, 2017

The parent has to pay for preschool here, junior kindergarten is state funded. Another issue is age. New guidelines have pushed the age to turn 5 for Kindergarten back to September 1st, it used to be December 1st. The instruction aspect is similar- socio emiotional and independence is the goals.