What is it like teaching second grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msz101, Jun 14, 2017.

1. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jun 14, 2017

hello everyone,

Has anyone had experience teaching second grade? If so, how did/do you like it? My school told me I will be teaching second grade next year. I've only taught kindergarten and first grade.

3. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 14, 2017

I taught 2nd for three years and it was a great experience. I think it's a great grade to teach. Remember, it's the top tier of primary. The kids are old enough to be independent and still young enough to really want to please their teacher.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 14, 2017

I have now taught it for 3 years and I quite like it. It builds on so much of 1st grade (what I taught prior), but the kids are generally much more comfortable and independent.

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 14, 2017

At the beginning of the year they are just big grade ones. But they have so many of the foundational skills they need to be more independent. I looped with my grade 1s to grade 2 and it was an adjustment after teaching grade 1 for three years. Sometimes I thought, "What do you need me for? You guys are already so smart!" Now is the time to show them HOW to use their skills. It's so fun!

Backroads and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2017

Second grade was my absolute favorite to teach. They are more independent that K or 1 and can be trained/trusted to work in stations/centers with far less direct supervision, so you can instead focus on small groups. They are still young enough that they are eager to please. I found I had more freedom curriculum wise than I did when teaching upper elementary due to the lack of testing.

Backroads likes this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2017

Second grade is my favorite grade to teach. They grow so much in a year. It's very satisfying to look back at how much they've learned in a year.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2017

Put me with the group that says it's their favourite grade... I absolutely love second grade... I did my student teaching and then I did a year in second several years ago... next year I get to go back... and I'm very excited about it. I feel like it's the best of both worlds... always wanting to please, and yet more independent that K or 1. (Where I'm from, it's a shorter day in K-2 as well... which is a bit of a bonus!)