What is it going to take????

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by AChancetoTeach, Oct 20, 2005.

1. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 20, 2005

This is a continuation of another thread I started "Continue subbing or apply for job". Well, I did apply for the job. I had the interview today. It was 3 HOURS LONG! It was the longest, most in-depth interview I've ever had. Then, at the end, the principal tells me, "If we don't hire you it will be because you are a first year teacher." (Not yet I'm not!!) I went home with an excruciating headache!

What is it going to take to have someone give us our first year of experience? I'm really blown away by the fact that you can back up your credentials with this degree and all the certifications in the world, but if you don't have at least one year teaching experience, you are not qualified! How do new graduates get jobs??? How did any of you ever get hired without experience? Someone gave you a chance. I told my husband that I had better luck getting jobs when I didn't have a college degree. I've never tried so hard to sell myself and I'm complimented each time on the preparation and details I provide in my documentation. And yet, no one will give me ACHANCETOTEACH! Sorry, had to vent a little. I was told they generally don't even interview first year teachers, but that my paperwork was so outstanding that they had to see me. But then why call someone in and grill them for 3 hours and tell them they are in the final 3 and then tell them, we don't hire first year teachers??? Wasted my time and theirs!

The principal didn't actually tell me I didn't have the job, just that if I don't get it, it would be because of lack of experience. Thanks for listening. :( :thanks:

3. Mom2Sarah

Mom2Sarah Rookie

Oct 20, 2005

Hang in there

Everyone must start some where! You will find a district that is willing to hire teachers straight out of college. I went on three interview before I found the district that hired me. When I found that district I knew and they knew it was a perfect match. Perhaps you have just not found the place you are supposed to be. Don't quit trying, you will find your place in the teaching world. As for the school district that put you through a 3 hour interview....what great experience they just gave you. Keep your head up your class will get you a class!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 20, 2005

I graduated in May and have been searching for my first job since. I sent out countless resumes and was only called for two interviews over the summer. I was extremely discouraged when the new school year rolled around and I didn't have a classroom. I definitely understand your frustration! :) This week I went on an interview for a long-term sub position and I'm pretty sure I've got the job. It's only a sub position, but the way I see it, more classroom experience to put on my resume. Who knows, it could end up as a permanent position for me for next year. I definitely didn't see myself as a long-term sub for this year, but as Mom2Sarah said, everyone must start somewhere! There are many districts that would rather hire experienced teachers, but I'm sure you will find at least one that will hire new teachers. Keep trying. I know I will be and hopefully next school year we'll both have our own classrooms! :)

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 20, 2005

I feel for you. Don't despair. I'm a first year teacher and I was lucky enough to get hired - but I started the year thinking I would be subbing...I only got hired Sept 26! It may happen anytime.

6. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 20, 2005

Thanks to all of you...I'm just so frustrated. :( This makes my 4th interview since May and each one has told me "not enough experience". I'm refusing to cry this time...I promised my husband I wouldn't.

7. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 21, 2005

I went through the same thing, I finally started 4 weeks ago! And you know what, it is the right fit for me. I was so depressed as school got closer & closer. Not just because I wanted a job (though to teach is my dream), I needed one. The "not enough experience" really got me to. Relax, breathe, vent when you need to. The right position will come along.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

Don't give up on this one yet, AChancetoTeach. In fact, call the principal back and reaffirm your desire to teach there.

9. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 22, 2005

Still no news on this job...

The "up" side of this whole week is that I passed another certification area, Middle School Generalist 4-8. So, now I'm certified EC-4, 4-8 and Special Ed EC-12. My original certification was EC-4. Maybe someday, these additional certifications will help me get the job, WITHOUT experience. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 22, 2005

Way to go!

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 22, 2005

There is hope. I didn't start teaching until after my kiddos were in college. I applied (first interview) (no experience) and won over 18 others. It was apart time position. Wow! each year I am more thankful for the chance I was given. I am going on eight years. I love my school and the students. Students are so unique and special. They advance and accomplish different and have their individual problems.
    Good Luck and Best Wishes. Hope they take a chance and hire you.

12. Iheartteaching

Iheartteaching Rookie

Oct 22, 2005

Hey! Yea getting my first job was scary. I just graduated from college and agreed to move to Boston with my boyfriend. I sent out near 500 resumes and cover letters and did not hear back from 1 public school. But, I did hear back from private schools and got a job at the grade level I wanted. Then my boyfriend convinced me to move to Chicago this year... and it was scary because I wasn't able to get here until July. Anyway I sent resumes and cover letters to 700 schools this time public and private. Eventually I got interviews at both types of school. I had to jump though hoops to get a job but I got one... True it is at a scary inner city school, but I will survive. And luckily the plan is to stay in Chicago for a few years.

Basically my advice.... figure out how far you are willing to commute and then apply to every school district in that radius. Don't be afraid of private school either.... in fact after my boyfriend gets out of law school and I have survived the inner city for 3 years I am running back to private school!

13. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 22, 2005

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'm willing to commute a certain distance, but my children are situated in a wonderful school and are at the age where after-school sports and events keep them (and me) hopping. It will be a struggle to miss out on all of that with them. Whose children to I serve? Mine or someone else's? The perfect solution would be both. I know I have gone through at least 5 boxes of resume paper! The big difference is that for the hiring for 06/07 school year I will have these additional certifications and won't be limited by only having the EC-4.

14. Aimee

Aimee Rookie

Oct 23, 2005

Where are you located in Texas? There are districts here looking for HS teachers as well as SpEd.

15. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 23, 2005

I'm in the Panhandle...my husband's job keeps us there.

16. Jen

Jen Rookie

Oct 23, 2005

Hey Aimee

It's Jen from Boerne. Did you have any luck find a job? I hope so!! I'm still at the middle school here in Boerne as a T.A., but I just found out I passed my 4-8 gen. I can't wait to go tell my principal tomorrow. Let me know how things are working out for you. Remember, we are supposed to open the new elem. school in Aug. -Jenn

17. Aimee

Aimee Rookie

Oct 24, 2005

Hey Jen. I actually did get a job with Northside as a 1st grade teacher! I interviewed on Aug. 29th and signed my contract on the 31st----started the next day! Once you're with a school district you get to see all of the openings they really have but aren't posted! And Kendall Elem. in Boerne called me last week to offer me a 4th grade position----a little late if you ask me! :) Wish it would have come sooner. You may want to call the principal there to see if it's been filled.

18. Jen

Jen Rookie

Oct 24, 2005

Congrats Aimee!!! I just passed my 4-8 generalist, so I'm hoping to get on there. I have alot of friends there and I'm use to the middle school schedule now. Well anyway good luck with the 1st grade. -Jen

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 25, 2005

Hi ChancetoTeach I am in the same boat as you. I get the "We decided to hire someone with experience" statement all the time too. After 85 applications I am about to give up. I just found out today that they are taking a half hour away from me at my current job because they dont' want to pay 3 paras to stay after even though they need us. That really upsets me. That means I will loss 2.5 hrs a week or 5 hrs a pay check. It does add up in the end.

20. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 25, 2005

Well, it is Tuesday and I still haven't heard ANYTHING from this job interview. I was told the position started on November 1 and that I would get a letter if I wasn't chosen. Haven't gotten the letter yet. After a 3 hour interview, you'd think they'd be kind enough to get the letters in the mail. In the meantime, I'm "good enough" to sub as I am working every day this week. Sigh.....

21. lovemy2dgraders

lovemy2dgraders Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

Just wondering *where* in Texas you are. I know many rural areas are in desperate need of teachers, Deep East Texas, for one. I am in Louisiana, and we are in dire need here too. It's wild to see the difference in hiring practices, it is very easy to get on here. Hang in there, and good luck. You will find a principal that knows what a good teacher is made of and will hire you. Some of them adhere so strictly to "guidelines" that they miss the best teachers.

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2005

Wow 3 hours. The longest I have ever been in one was an hour and thats stretching it. Good luck and way to go on the other certifications. I am going to get my 4-8 too and spec ed may be. Im still looking too. Although I have been accepted to sub in Northside in San Antonio and its supposed to be hard to get a sub position there. So that is at least a step in the right direction. I have also been approached by someone who works for a testing company in SA to apply for a position there, Not really what I want to do but still thinking about it.

23. lovemy2dgraders

lovemy2dgraders Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

Oops, would have seen where in Texas you were had I read just a little further. Sorry. :)

24. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 25, 2005

Thanks for your encouragement :D ...I'm in the panhandle of Texas. I know there are lots of jobs in Texas; unfortunately, I can't go without my hubby and his job is here (he makes way more than I could). There just aren't many jobs in my area and I was thrilled to find this one and get an interview. I just want it to be my turn to hear "you're hired!" We are finally looking to see where we can relocate and BOTH work! It is extremely hard for me to consider subbing for these districts that I wasn't "good enough" to hire. Why am I good enough to sub? Oh well...I am subbing at a district that hasn't told me I need more experience.

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2005

subbing for these districts that I wasn't "good enough" to hire.

I feel the same way. How come I can come in and sub but not teach for them. I didnt even get a courtesy interview at my kids school and they had opening after I was told there weren't any. In fact everytime I go there I see a new teacher. It really makes me MAD. But I look at it this way, my school district pays pretty well but there are others around here that pay even better so maybe I dont want to teacher were we live. Anyway still looking and trying to be up beat about the whole dang thing.

26. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

I've found it interesting that many people from across the country that post on here that are job hunting for their first job are being told they want people with experience. NOT the picture here in Wisconsin....especially in rural areas. They are only hiring and interviewing newbies because the district can save money!! They don't have to pay for years of experience. Here in Wisconsin if you find during your first year that you don't like the district you'd better make the move right away because otherwise you price yourself out of the game. I've been teaching in the same district for 7 years and don't want to leave, but if I did there's very little chance that I'd be able to get a job in a different district in many areas of the state. Thankfully I got a job my first year and fast, but I know how frustrating it can be! Hang in there.....the right one will come along at the right time for you!!!

27. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

Got the news....I received my "rejection e-mail" from the principal today. "You're a strong candidate but I've decided to recommend so and so". Gee, I didn't NEED to know her name! :tired:

28. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 26, 2005

I'm sorry, AChancetoTeach. Look on the bright side, at least you got the email. I went on an interview in August and then was called the next day to come in for a second interview. I wasn't able to answer my phone when the principal called, so he ended up calling me 4 times and leaving two messages. I thought to myself, "Wow, this guy really wants to hire me." I went for the second interview the next day, it went really well, and then I never heard from him again. haha...nice, huh?

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 26, 2005

You'll definitely find something, though. Like I said in an earlier post, I had really hoped to have my own room this year, but things didn't work out that way. Now I'll be starting a long-term sub job on December and will be subbing in 4th grade until March and then 5th grade from March-June. I figure it's the best way for me to gain more experience and get my foot in the door with the district. Subbing is the way to get yourself into most districts...especially if you can get yourself in a long-term position.

30. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

OK, that's really bad...I won't complain anymore. At least I DID hear from them. I'm proud of myself, I didn't even cry this time! :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 26, 2005

No, you definitely have every right to complain! haha Just wanted to try to make you feel a little better, if that's possible. :)
    Good for you for not crying. I know how much it hurts when you get your hopes up and then things don't work out the way you want them to. Don't take it personally, though. For all you know, they may have hired someone who's got "connections" in the district. We all know how those politics can work!

32. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2005

Hang in there. I was in the same frame of mind when I began looking for a job 10 years ago. How would I ever get experience if no one is willing to give me a chance?

Well, I subbed at schools in which I didn't necessarily see myself staying long-term. The school I finally got hired at was waaay far away from my home, very low pay, but it gave me that "experience".

So, what I am trying to say is maybe you could look at the whole thing through different eyes. Where can you teach and get that experience so you can end up at a school you want to stay long-term.

Can you be point blank and ask the principal what qualifications you were lacking? Find out what's going on. You have nothing to lose.

Good luck.

33. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

Hey! I had one of those three hour interviews too!
    Let me tell you the whole story. In 1987 I was RIF-ed. It means I was laid off due to a Reduction In Force. I had a 2-year old at home so I decided not to apply for any new jobs. Six years and another baby later I decided to return to the classroom. I applied for everything open in my county. I was subbing in three counties. Each county has its own school district. It took two years to get back on. I could have never done it on my own. WVEA helped me. It is not a really strong union but it does offer support through free legal aid. After two years of applications and rejections I finally contacted them. In 24 hours I had an interview, the 3-hour interview mentioned above, and in 48 hours I had signed a contract!
    Why was the interview so long? The principal really did not want me. He had already promised the job to someone else and I came in at the last minute with more qualifications. He was really trying to find a good reason not to hire me. WVEA had given me the confidence I needed to get through the interview process.
    So, my advice is to get yourself in a union. Join the local group of NEA. They can help and it is well worth the little bit of money it costs to be part of that.
    Good Luck!!!

34. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

Thanks for all your advice. I am subbing and so far it has kept me really busy, at one school district. I just don't want to wait for several years to have my own classroom. I've applied at schools as far as 60 miles from my home. Maybe I should move....oh, forgot about hubby's job.

The 3 hour interview principal was very honest with me and told me the ONLY thing I lacked was experience. It for a position in grades that MUST pass the TAKS test, most of the districts I've applied at have told me that they won't hire first-year teachers for those grades. Texas does not have a union for teachers, but they do have the teacher organizations like TCTA ATPE, etc.

35. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2005

Sorry AChancetoTeach. I'm another one that sent out a million resumes and got only 1 interview...with a school that didn't fit me at all (it was like an elementary boot camp)! I'm doing a long-term sub position now, and while it is better than nothing, I still feel like I am not in my own classroom. Everyone has been doing their evaluations with the principal, and he said to me "Are you sure you want to do this even though you aren't full-time?"...That was encouraging :( In any case, all of us "not enough experiencers" will have to support each other until we here "you're hired"!! Good luck! :)

36. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Rookie

Oct 29, 2005

Aww, I'm sorry! :( At least you got a reply though! The worst is when they don't bother telling you and just leave you hanging. Job hunting is extremely frustrating.. I should know..I did it for almost 2 years before finally getting a teaching position in another state. Try to hang in there!!

37. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 29, 2005

Thank you LisaMarie...maybe I lost it for a reason, I have just found a PreK job to apply for in my own town. The 3 hour interview WAS good practice! :)

38. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Rookie

Oct 29, 2005

Aww...see!! I know it's discouraging and very, very frustrating, but eventually, it will all pay off. Best of luck to you!!! :D

39. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Nov 7, 2005

sorry to hear about the rejection. Atleast it was addressed to the correct person!! I had a principal send me a rejection letter with the wrong person's name on it!!! and it had 7 misspelled words and 5 horrible grammatical errors!! I just had to laugh... Maybe it was better that I didn't get the job in a school where they didn't care enough to edit their own letters. oh yeah, the reason I got the letter even though it was written to the wrong person, was that I had included a self addressed envelope with a stamp for them to send me a reply. (I think our postman was educated by these "educators" because it took him 3 tries to get it to my house , and I am only I of three houses with an address on this street, and the only one with my last name. Later he told me as he handed it to me, that he wasn't aware that Mr. Walden had moved out of the house, and when did he move??? When I told him that gentleman had sold us the house 8 years ago and hadn't lived here in 10 years, he drove off with out a reply. Ha ha ha ha. Makes ya wonder about the intelligence of some people or if there had been a full moon or something!! ;)

40. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

I feel your frustration (to a degree) I've been trying to leave the district I"m in for 3 years!!!

Keep your head up, something will come up. Keep your eye opened mid year, strange things happen, that's how I got my first job, I graduated in December and there happened to be an opening that since there were so few looking I landed.

41. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 8, 2005

SO I went to the school I worked at last year for a baby shower today. The principal thought I was teaching kindergarten because he got call about me after the school year. Well I never got that phone call. I am bummed. Oh well. Hopefully something will come up.