what is it called when the whole class reads a chapter book????

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2008

I'm having a brain freeze. I can't remember what you call it when the whole class reads the same book. Not an anthology from a textbook, but when the whole class reads a book, like The Summer of the Monkeys. I want to read up more about this and am having a hard time finding things on the internet. The fifth grade team switches for 30 minutes and I will start working with the middle group. I thought reading a book together would be fun, but I can't seem to remember the name of it. Is is novel study???????? That word just popped into my head.

3. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 28, 2008

I think it's a novel study or novel unit. I don't remember if it had a technical name, but I know what you're talking about. If you need any ideas for this let me know. My class isn't reading Summer of the Monkeys, but we are all reading the same novel and I could give you some ideas on how I have it organized.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2008

Yes I do need some help!!! AFter having only really taught HM and OCR programs, I need some help on doing novel studies/units. I'm actually thinking of doing The Door in the Wall.

Any ideas, tips, etc would be great!!!!!

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 28, 2008

It is called novel study or unit. I am doing Number the Stars right now. I am doing whole class and also literature circles so I can break up into small groups. I find that doing a novel strictly whole class makes the slower kids get lost.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 28, 2008

Could I have some assistance too? I have only 1 student in my class that I am planning on doing a novel study with, so I have to do something exciting to keep his attention.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2008

Okay, so now that I know what it is called, I began looking up novel study stuff on the book I'm thinking about reading. I found a class set that a former 5th grade teacher left me. It is called The Door in the Wall. What do you guys think about this book? I plan to read this soon and begin the unit in a week or so.

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 28, 2008

I have not read that book. My class is reading Where the Red Fern Grows right now. I introduce new vocab words whole group first. Then, the students break up into "literature circles." I have leveled these groups by reading ability. One group meets with me and we read the chapter aloud together and discuss. Once we finish, they go back to their table and answer the questions in their packet for that chapter. The next group has been reading the story with a partner at this time. Once I am finished with my first group, the second group meets with me and we discuss the chapter. The last group reads with a group of 4. They are my higher readers. While they are reading, they are completing a hand-out I gave them in which they must develop 2 higher level questions per chapter. When I meet with this group, we basically have a discussion based off of the questions they came up with. The students in this group pretty much lead the discussion. When students are finished reading, they are working on a scrapbook project. This is an ongoing project for the novel. My highest reading group is adding research about the Great Depression in their scrapbook.
    I also have literature circle jobs such as summerizer, illustrator, passage picker, etc. Let me know if you want copies of these jobs. Laura candler's website has some great stuff for literature cirlces as well... check out www.lauracandler.com

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2008

Deeena, what are they doing in the scrapbook project?

10. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 30, 2008

They are finding pictures on the Internet, magazines, or drawing themselves of Billy and his family. They're including 6 artifacts that the character would have put in the scrapbook (drawn or real), wrting a couple journal entries from Billy's perspective, making a collage representing the theme of the story... I can't remembe what else. If you want the paper I typed up for them, I can send it. My higher reading group is adding stuff about the 1930s and the Great Depression, so they have a little more research involved.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 2, 2008

Amen to that!!! I have always taught reading in small groups in the 5th grade, and I even do literature circles in small group. A little different from the pure form of lit circles, but the kids read level appropriate books, and have great discussions!!!! As for me, I love having four groups reading four different novels! I never get bored!!

12. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Feb 2, 2008

The only time my whole class are looking at the same book is when I am reading to them - I always have a novel on the go, sometimes just for the joy of it, sometimes we study in more depth.

When the kids are reading I too have four groups, each reading ability-appropriate novels. Since my kids range from 2nd to 8th grade in ability, this works best for me.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 2, 2008

I do one novel each year with my kids (Dear Mr. Henshaw, My Side of the Mountain, Sign of the Beaver, or Number the Stars). At times the kids are in groups and at times we do it whole class. We read one chapter at a time, though. (I have activities for groups that finish early.)

14. ch106

ch106 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

A novel study is when the whole class reads the same book, a novel common is when every student has to read a novel but the titles vary and students read at their own pace. ;)

15. 5Newbie

5Newbie New Member

Feb 13, 2008

Deena, Your scrapbook idea sounds great! I am in the middle of reading My Brother Sam is Dead to go along with our American Revolution theme in SS. I was wondering if you could send me your scrapbook info?