What is included in your reading block?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 15, 2012

We are supposed to have 90 min. of reading daily. In your reading block, do you include spelling, grammar, or writing class OR do you do those as separate classes? Just trying to figure out what is more the "norm" for everyone! Thanks for your response.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Mini lesson, turn and talk or give it a try, independent reading, conferring and assessing...about 45 minutes...if I had a 90 minute block, I'd definitely roll in writing workshop as well.?..if its supposed to be 90 minutes ocused on READING though, you could include a written response and maybe some partnership reading or whole group read aloud.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 15, 2012

My 90 minute Reading block includes whole group reading and small group reading. Spelling/Phonics, handwriting, intervention, and Writing/Language are separate slots of time. I do think this is about to change, though, with a push toward thematic units and cross curricular teaching...

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2012

We have 90 minute reading blocks for reader's workshop which includes whole group and guided group. We teach vocab, comprehension, fluency, and phonics during this time. Since 95% of our students are ELLs, we probably spend much more time on vocab/building background knowledge than other schools would need to.

Spelling and grammar are part of the 60 minute writing block, although it's usually related to what we're reading. I'd kind of like to just have one big "language arts" time all morning with both reading and writing, but due to specials and lunch schedules there just isn't time.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2012

Reading Block: Reader Response, Guided Reading/Discussion, Seat Work and Independent Reading

Word Study is it's own block.

Writer's Workshop is also it's own block.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2012

Our state-mandated 90 minute block can only include comprehension, vocabulary, phonics/phonemic awareness, and fluency. Writing is separate unless it is reading response. No one is really sure on the spelling; since I use more of a word study approach based on phonics patterns or vocabulary elements (prefixes, etc.), I include mine in my reading block.