What is in YOUR writing center?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by edukidds, Oct 17, 2006.

1. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

I am looking to make my writing center more educational and creative for my students. I would love to hear what you have in your writing centers. :D

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 17, 2006

Ours has...

cookie sheets w/ magnet letters
    stencils
    colored pencils and regular pencils
    tracing sheets for letters/shapes/lines
    dry-erase boards and markers (also used w/ the tracing sheets)

I'm sure I'm missing a few things.

It's really not used much at ALL, although sometimes we'll take the stencils or whatever to the art table if several kids are interested in them.

4. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 18, 2006

Our writing center table is bumped up against a divider. On the divider I have printed and laminated the following:
    *Alphabet
    *Numbers (with number of dots and number word next to each)
    *color words (with a color blob next to each word)
    *Family words
    *Shape words with shape
    *I also use the Thematic word wall from lakeshore
    *I also have the letter we are working on written large and hanging up there.
    *Oh, and we did letter of the week, A-E then did a review week. During the review week each day I introduced a new word we made with those 5 letters (dad, bed, cab, dab, bad). I have them written on a paper hanging on the board too. I've seen a few children writing the words on their own.

In a three drawer plastic bin (drawers are 9x12) on the table I have:
    Top drawer - leaves cut out from construction paper, index cards, small brightly colored papers, small paper books I made up for the kids to write in, ect.
    Middle drawer - plain paper and envelopes
    Bottom drawer - worksheets I print and put in there for the kids to do if they wish.

I have different kinds of pens, pencils, colored pencils

I have a small basket with rubber stamps and an ink pad. Last week was letter H, so I had an Hh stamp, two differen houses, a heart, horse and hexagon. This week is I, just have a letter Ii stamp and ice cream cone. I just put ONE ink pad in each week, and change it weekly. They have done a really good job to this point not making a mess.

A small basket of stencils

Well, I think that is it. My writing center wasn't very popular in August, but is becomin more so with time.

5. mrod

mrod Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

My writing center has:

Pencils, pens, markers, sharpeners, crayons, in all different sizes, bundled crayons, dotters, playdough, chenille stems, envelopes, copy paper, construction paper, colored paper, dry erase markers, and board, magic doddle boards, magnet boards with magnet letters, index cards, journals for each child with their name and picture on the cover, a mailbox, each child has a file folder in a file cabinet (like those small movable kind) inside those file folders (every child has their own) there are dotted names, laminated names for dry erase markers, names that are laminated on colored paper so children can use playdough to follow the letters, or chenille stems to follow the letters, copies of their names to dot with dotters or follow along with crayons, names that are written with highlighters so children can follow along.

My writing center is very popular my children love writing with markers on long pieces of paper, sometimes we tape paper to the bottom of tables and they write, they love when I bring in large boxes so they can write on.

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 18, 2006

I have an easel with chalkboard on one side and dry erase on the other. I have dry erase cards with activities like writing beginning sounds, matching the letters, etc. I also have crayons, colored pencils, magnidoodles, coloring books, paper, and stencils (letters, pictures, and numbers), magnetic letters, numbers, and shapes.

7. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Oct 20, 2006

Wikki stix, mini magnadoodles, chalkboards, dry erase white boards, and pretty much all the stuff the others listed. :)

8. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 22, 2006

I have writing materials placed throughout my class in the various center. I change out what I put in the centers weekly. I have a small table setup with writing materials, but I have found that the children were not visiting the center. I placed a variety of writing materials in the centers and they are using them daily.