What is in your science center "right now" and why?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, Sep 5, 2009.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

Just for conversation, and because I have a new group so we haven't started an 'emergent' topic yet.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 5, 2009

I have a lot of things out because I have science/math centers at the end of the day while I pull math small groups. However, I always start the year off with color mixing stuff. I have some great colored paddles that are plastic and the kids cross them with each other to make new colors or lay them over other stuff to see what color it makes. I also have some shaker bottles that have different colors that separate and when they shake them up it shows the new color. I also have the magnetic board from lakeshore with the paint cans that the kids drag the correct beads to the paint cans. I have posters that say Red on one side and not red on the other (or whatever color) and the kids can look at magazines and cut out pictures for whichever side - you can do a variation on this by having a box of items that they sort over and over for different colors each week.

4. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

Right now, I have different discovery bottles in the science center. I like to start with those while we are learning procedures of how to rotate centers and clean things up. The bottles are really easy for the kids to put away so I can give lots of praise for how nicely they cleaned up the science center.
    Next week, we are talking about camping. I will have leaves, pine cones, flowers, etc with magnifying glasses and maybe some plastic insects.

5. happypreteach

happypreteach Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

Since we are the "ducks" classroom, my science area has information about ducks. I have two ducks that make the actual sound of a duck as well as books on ducks. I also have 2 discovery bottles and a nest i found while out walking my dogs this summer.

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 6, 2009

Our theme for the science center right now is magnets.

We pick different themes for the science area throughout the year to try to cover as many science topics as possible.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 6, 2009

I have about 8 large seashells. Some of them have similar qualities. I also have a bowl of little seashells- 2 types. I have a balance scale, regular scale, rulers, measuring tape, small bowls for sorting and tweezers to pick them up.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 6, 2009

I currently have 4 discovery bottles (1 rice with aobut 20 different objects hidden in it, 1 wave,1 color mixing and one "sky" made with hair gel and lots of different shiny objects and beads), magnet box, a discovery rice box (sothey cansift through it and look at the different things--like the bottle with the same things but these they can find and pick up and handle), a container of laminated real life bug cards, magnifying glasses, a kaleidoscope (not colors though--more like a bug's eye would see), a jacobs ladder, a top, plastic real life bugs (not cartoony ones), and a bucket of books (different animals from scholastic). My science center is actually a bookcase of items in shoe box size rubbermaid bins with covers and they take them to the table