What is good about teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by History79, Jul 31, 2011.

1. History79

History79 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Ok, I have to apologize as my first post on the topic was poorly worded and started a discussion that was way off the topic. So without going into too much of what I am thinking on the issue, can you all tell me the good things you experience in teaching? I am 2 years away from getting my teaching degree. I am 31 years old and decided to go back to college after my divorce to pursue my dream job; teaching high school history and government. I already know the drawbacks to the job and am fine with them. All jobs have drawbacks and teaching is no different; but I also believe that teaching is far more rewarding than other careers. Thanks to all posters.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2011

Two words: summer vacation.

:lol:

But seriously, I have often thought about changing careers (my list of considerations-chef, professional golfer, NASA astronaut), but I cannot think of another job I would consider that can guarantee me the time I get to spend with my family. Summer, weekends, holidays, it just can't be beat.

Ok, if NASA called I might consider it...

There are other good things, warm fuzzies, etc, that others will post more eloquently than me, but if you want honesty, that is seriously what keeps me in teaching.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

Just off the top of my head....

1. getting hugs every day
    2. watching the huge amount of academic (and social and physical) growth of my students
    3. that "light bulb" momen when the student gets it
    4. reading fabulous stories
    5. science fair
    6. A to Z Teacher Stuff!
    7. each and every day is different - there is NO boredom!
    8. pride in the fact that I am making a difference in the lives of my students
    9. learning games
    10. learning through art
    11. learning through doing
    12. "Good" calls to parents
    13. handmade cards or notes: I love you Mrs. W
    14. smiles
    15. the excitement when they get a treat of any kind

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

The best part of teaching for me is getting to introduce great works of literature to people who've never seen it before. I love reading something with a student and watch their brains explode with the power of what they've just read! :) It's AMAZING!

I also love hanging out with teenagers all day. They are funny, silly and goofy, and they keep me young. Sometimes they are genuinely interested in learning about the world around them. I like being the person who guides them through the maze of information.

I love hearing from a student 5 or 10 or 15 years after they've been in my class that they remember a lesson I taught them, a book we read or a project we completed. It makes me feel good to know that I've touched someone's life in a positive way.

Mainly, I like knowing that what I do *matters* to my community and the world at large. I like knowing that my time on earth isn't meaningless. I'm not physically gifted, and I could never figure out how to make a new piece of technology or cure cancer, but I can teach people how to read, write, speak and listen better than they could before they reached me. It's how I contribute to this amazing nation. :)

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2011

I make a difference.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

I like introducing my students to a subject to which they have probably never been exposed.

I like seeing their reactions at the end of the year to translations we did at the beginning of the year. "Miss! These are SO EASY! I can't believe we ever thought these were hard!"

I like when they come and tell me about all the Latin-y stuff they see in the real world. I've had students who have been out of my class and in the real world for years who randomly send me Facebook messages telling me that they were watching the Superbowl and saw Roman numerals and thought of our class.

I like when students pass their proficiency tests and do well on their SATs and tell me that they knew the meaning of a word because its root was one of our vocabulary words.

I like getting to know my students. Some of my students don't have strong, positive adults in their lives, and it's nice that I can sometimes be that for them. They know that I love them and that I'll hold them to the very highest of expectations because I know that they can meet those expectations even if it's tough.

I like the schedule and having breaks and holidays and summers off.

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

It all depends on what types of things you want to get out of a job.
    What type of things do you care about when it comes to a job?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2011

Laughing with my students every day.
    Always learning.
    Seeing the light bulbs go on.
    Hearing, "Thanks MrsC" and "We love you, MrsC".
    Hugs from students who are taller than me!
    Being with kids all day.

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

As a substitute teacher, I enjoy doing my job well. I honestly try to be the very best substitute teacher out there both for the kids and for the teacher that I am subbing for. I love getting to know so many kids and making an impact on them even if it is very small and brief. I am seeking a full-time job as a music teacher and when I do end up with that job, I can't wait to introduce students to the musical world. I love using my content area to teach responsibility and good charater. Teaching is really one of the only professions that gives you a chance to make an impact on tomorrow's adults. There are some tough parts to the job but it is well worth it!

11. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Many of the reasons I love teaching have already been mentioned.

For me, I love the fact that there is never a boring day. I never have a day that's "just like all the other days". There's something new and different and challenging.

Also, I believe teaching is an honor. I believe that God has entrusted me with His children and I can't even think about taking it lightly. Sure, there are times when I grumble and am discontent (I'm human!), but when I sit back and realize that these young PEOPLE are looking to me to give them knowledge and to spark their curiosity, I'm DEEPLY humbled.

I truly believe that if teaching is your dream, then go for it. It is a calling.

Not everybody can be a teacher... regardless of what many people think. It takes a VERY special person. :)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2011

Besides the warm fuzzies, cute cards, thank you notes and pictures:

1. Kids are lots funnier and cuter than adults
    2. You get to be silly
    3. I love children's literature and love sharing it
    4. Working without someone looking over your shoulder
    5. The chance to create an inspiring environment
    6. I enjoy the organizing part of the job
    7. I love to put together resources in creative ways, to find my own method to get across an idea
    8. The challenge of communicating something little known to the students in a way that is meaningful to them
    9. I love certain subjects at the grade level I taught (middle school math, elementary literature, using music in my work)
    10. It's fun

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

Sharing my days with wonderful children
    Being creative
    There is no monotony in my days
    Being able to positively influence the lives of others
    Having an important career

I suppose I could go on, but these are the things I dearly love about teaching.

14. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I agree!

15. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

16. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 1, 2011

I have always known that I was born to be a teacher. After dropping out of college to get married I became a teacher/children's director at my church...for 15+ years...then I was able to go back to college to become a public school teacher. I remember sitting in class feeling a surge of excitement as it occurred to me, "Oh my gosh- someone's going to PAY me to do this! That's crazy!"

What's good about teaching is helping kids discover new things they never knew about before. There's nothing like it.

17. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

There are various reasons because of which i like teaching. The list includes my passionate job, have a kind of job satisfaction, can help students in academic subjects,....

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2011

- I like kids. They're funny and honest.
    - I love sharing stories with them. I love it when they ask if we're reading a new story that day.
    - The funny little notes they leave for me.
    - Watching kids who thought they were "bad" at writing explode with ideas and creativity... and then get them down on paper!
    - The fact that I don't sit at a desk, staring at a computer all day.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 2, 2011

I didn't choose teaching; it chose me. :)
    I think the most wonderful thing about teaching is that I made(make) a difference in a child's life. The most rewarding part is when former students get in touch with me, to tell me how much they remember me. One student actually wrote a college paper about me-she became a teacher, and had to write about her role model. I bawled when I read it.:blush:
    I get to go in every day and share my love of learning with a group of bright eyed 10 going on 11 year olds, and I never get tired of it.

20. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2011

It is always interesting-even the worst days are interesting. I have worked lots of jobs; but this is the only one that I have not found boring.

I love to learn and I have found it to be consistent in teaching.

It is very rewarding.

21. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

Making a difference. I know it sounds a bit corny.. but I feel I'm making a small difference in the lives of the kids I teach. I want to instill a love of learning plus a bit of grammar (I teach writing to 5th graders).:love: