What is going on?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by pwhatley, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 19, 2013

I like the discussion on this group because I get to see aspects of teaching I no longer experience because of my pedagogical platform. It's tragic when the discussion turns to one of disrespect. There is nothing that says we have to agree, but we do need to bear our mutual professionalism in mind.

2. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2013

I'm coming over for the cookies and hugs! I'll bring the milk.

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 19, 2013

I agree! I hate those people as well, the lot of them...

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2013

Well I haven't been here for years, but I do notice in comparison to the other forums I frequent that this board constantly gets into political and religious debates. Constantly. That's probably why there's so much tension. I guess this is more of a political forum than the other ones I post on, but still. It seems like people always want to start topics on gun control, religion, evolution, etc. Why? Everyone is just going to disagree with each other. Why even waste your time? That's why I, for the most part, stay away from those marathon threads. I might pop in and read a few posts or even write something myself, but I try to stay away.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2013

This is not supposed to be a more political forum than others. At all.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

I don't drink milk...I'll bring juice :hugs:

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 19, 2013

Yum! What kind?

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 19, 2013

While it's true that people will disagree, I think that a lot of these are important topics to discuss and if we could remain civil, this is a great forum to discuss it with, to test the political waters so to speak and see what the demographic is among teachers all across the United States.

People are going to disagree over something. If they didn't, there would be nothing to discuss and no real reason for a forum. Disagreements shouldn't be something to avoid, but they should be responded to with respect. However some people have really deep-seated opinions and disagreeing with those opinions seems like a personal attack on them. And then some opinions are just trolling as well on the other side of the spectrum.

Maybe there should be a subforum for political and religious debates specifically, so that people can avoid it more easily if they want to. Not one where all the threads are locked though, that is hidden from everyone, because the political threads will again start moving towards the public forums to gain visibility.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2013

Well... I am right between you two... and at a junction for 95 and the Turnpike :hugs:

Toll House Chocolate Chip! The very first time I ever made them (from scratch, anyway.) Yum! Head on over!

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

Been there done that... Epic fail.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2013

Which junction chebrutta? I'll bring brownies, too.

The site owner, Amanda, decided that she didn't want the forums used for political discussions.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2013

One county north of you!

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

Darn! I'm in Pensacola right now for a few days and I flew here. I'll have to come meet you when I get back home...let's put the cookies in the freezer and I'll fresh squeeze more lemonade :lol:

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 19, 2013

I'll bring whipped cream, just to add to the decadence, lol (and my blood sugar).

I haven't noticed any religious threads... at least not that I've read, and I don't mind honest political opinions. My objection is to judgmental attacks or fallacious blanket statements.

IMHO, this forum is where we support each other by offering solutions to problems, answers to questions, suggestions and ideas, not negativity and attacks!

15. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 19, 2013

I think of this site as more of "happy" place on the internet. If I want an argument, I will go to cafemom and find an abortion forum. If I want support and ideas about my profession, I come here. Different places for different things.

16. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

Out of curiosity, I checked a thread where I know a lot of posters were personally insulted. I noticed that the majority of the people being antagonizing have around only 20 posts. I'm hoping that it's the trolls that briefly visit that are the issue and not frequent posters. I really enjoy coming to this forum because of how respectful people are to each other. :)

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 19, 2013

I think by religious threads, they're talking about the ones dealing with gay rights and private schools, or creationism and evolution. To some people they see it as an attack on their religion. However I think they are useful to discuss. There are specific people on this forum who I know have evolved their opinions due to these threads, and I have evolved my views on things due to their input as well.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

I could use some cookies, too!

I hope I have not offended anyone with any of my comments. I come here for support and encouragement, and sometimes a dose of reality from another perspective.

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2013

I think (there fore I am) that a little conflict is good in here. Most threads do not fall into that category. I visit many forums and this is the busiest one besides Rupp's Rafters. This forum reflects the profession. Lots of nice people, sweet ones, sad ones, angry ones and downright PO'd ones. I say let the party continue.
    I had the MickyDs raisen/oatmeal today and it was GReaT. And a Panara Bread shortbread (pretty good)

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 19, 2013

Sometimes I wonder if it's just one person and they start a new name up periodically-because many sound very much the same.

Read this on FB today and thought of you guys:

"The less you respond to rude, critical, argumentative people--the more peaceful your life will become".

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 19, 2013

Yep, uh-huh! So true!:hugs:

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

I have been around for years. The only thing I notice is that the average age of members must be a lot younger than me. I have grandkids who must be older than some of you.

I love hearing/seeing posts about the children. I follow the lives of many of your children--I even remember many of you being pregnant.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 19, 2013

I made brown sugar cookies. I'd offer y'all some, but the half batch that I made last night are gone. I hid the other half in the freezer....mainly from myself. It's a recipe that uses cooking oil for the fat. It's the best one in the recipe box, I think.

As for the true topic of this thread, it's only a small number of people who have been truly, um, irritating, but it seems like a lot more when reading certain threads to to their proliferation.

Or maybe I'm just going through cookie withdrawal.

24. Sweet_P

Sweet_P Rookie

Jun 20, 2013

I still stand by my opinions and they way I've expressed them, but I hope there's no hard feelings if I'm one of the members being brought up in this thread. Certain topics just elicit an emotional response more than others, and sometimes conversations can get a little heated. I'm not trying to be a troll - I know that I don't have a lot of posts, but that's mainly because I'm only a student and prefer to lurk and observe. This website is a great resource, and for the most part seems like a great community that I would like to be a part of, especially as I begin to enter the world of teaching.

However, I do feel that it's important to keep discussing topics that are difficult and might make us upset if it helps to deepen our understanding (as long as there's no name-calling or slurs being thrown around).

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2013

Brown sugar cookies? I need that recipe!:D

26. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jun 22, 2013

What I have found is that if I read something that is meant to "push my button", I do my best to ignore it (and block the poster if that's possible).

I feel that if I respond in kind (angrily), then that person has succeeded in pulling my strings (as a puppet).

However, if I ignore the person, then the person has no idea if I even read their retort, or if I just have blocked them completely.

They're left wondering and I'm left peaceful. :) win-win! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.