What is going on?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by pwhatley, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

I have now been a member of AtoZ for almost 6 years. I joined, and have stayed, because of the warm and supportive atmosphere I found here. Not only do I unequivocally state that AtoZ (and 2 local teacher friends) not only kept me sane my first year of teaching, but has also been one of my greatest sources of self-driven professional development and of ideas for my classroom.

What is happening lately? It seems as if (at least with a few very vocal posters), the warmth and support has gone out the window! I have never seen so many negative, antagonistic postings prior to this summer. Amanda, what is happening? I am reading very judgmental posts that make blanket statements that often seem as if they are being made by politicians, not teachers. :(

I miss the "old days." Although members would definitely correct me if I was wrong about something, at least they did so in a polite, nonjudgmental fashion!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2013

I certainly apologize if I've contributed to any of this. :( I've found myself getting really defensive at times, and that's not a position I like to be in. I'm trying to reel myself in.

I have noticed a handful of rotten eggs among the posters here, but it doesn't seem as bad as it did a year or so ago.

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 18, 2013

I have only recently returned. I stopped visiting the forum due to the negative posts last year. It seemed as if anytime someone asked for help with a problem, there was a rash of blaming the person for bad teaching or classroom management or whatever rather than offering the assistance that was requested. I still only read posts sparingly, so I haven't noticed the rash of negativity that made me leave the forum.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

I do notice a change too. I am finding that there are less teachers posting good ideas they have and looking for new ideas. I like those posts the best. When someone posts some controversial political issue the posts seem to go incredibly high.

As far as negativity, I think that happens more with political or religious issues. No one wants to hear attacks on their faith or their political affiliation. I hope things will get less political in postings. I get especially bothered when attacks of any religion are done whether Catholic, Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, or what not. I can understand that these religions aren't perfect, but we don't need this forum to remind us of that.

I haven't been perfect in my posts either, and I am making a concerned effort to make them more positive, academic, and sensitive.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

I've felt (personally) professionally insulted several times in the past few days. Maybe I should have simply ignored the attitudes presented, but I felt it necessary to reply.

But I absolutely know what you mean! It's been unpleasant. I guess that's part of the reason I've started silly threads which I don't typically do...I needed a mental break.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

Me too. Usually when I post an article I'm lucky if I get 2 replies. :whistle: So I really didn't think it was going to be something controversial. I reply long after I've sworn not to anymore--I feel like if I could just make them understand....

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

Silly posts are not so silly :) they're cute!

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

No one who has replied to this post thus far is an "offender," lol. In fact, Caesar, JustMe, & Kinder - I've felt exactly as you have posted several times this week! I truly hope that I haven't been offensive in any of my posts... I have felt as if 2-3 post-ers were extremely negative and judgmental, though, and, like you, Caesar - I felt defensive!

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 18, 2013

I hope I don't fall into this category! I do have an opinion though and will state it, but if the comments/questions/concerns/issues get too charged I just ignore the threads.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

There are really only a couple of people on this forum who bug me. They reply to nearly every thread with negative, not-so-helpful, combative, and downright irritating comments.

Side note: No--I'm not referring to anyone who has already posted on this thread! =)

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 18, 2013

I certainly hope I haven't been a Negative Nancy. :(

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 18, 2013

There are some on here that I'd like to put in a real "time-out" room and just let them only read and respond to each others' posts and give the rest on here a break.

The snide jabs get old. I posted a pic on FB the other day...

[​IMG]

Maybe some on here need to follow that suggestion.

14. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 18, 2013

I...have the absurd desire to give everyone cookies now. (Because, cookies make everything better, of course.)

*hugs*

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2013

An old message board I used to use back in the day had a similar feature. The sysops could "twit" anyone who violated the rules or was abusive. On the person's profile it would say "*****TWIT*****" and it meant that they had read-only access to the BBS for a certain period of time (few days, few weeks, whatever). I would love to have this sort of feature here on A to Z.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

This seems to happen around this time every year. People are winding down after a long year, tempers are short, and the vacations bring new posters with too much time on their hands.

However, when we band together to protect our forum, those posters get tired of trying to instigate and usually leave.

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 18, 2013

I know there is a way to ban people for certain amounts of time from a day to permanently. Then there is a feature where people can "be quiet" for a time, but I haven't been told how to do that.

*hint hint, Amanda!*

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Put 'em in the corner, Amanda! Haha. :)

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 18, 2013

If it is who I'm thinking of, they make their comments year around. It is just how they are... not a end-of-the-year stressed out mess.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Those are the people who make it their life misery to try to make everyone around them as miserable as they are. We have all probably taught next door to someone like that.

I tell my students that no one can make you miserable without your permission. I feel the same way about those posters.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

:yeahthat:

22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

I do prefer the fun posts. It does seem like the nastiness picks up this time of year. It exists all year for sure but definitely seems worse at the end of the school year.

I try to stay away. Sometimes I even write replies but delete them before posting. That helps!

23. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 18, 2013

I feel like some people post on here just to be difficult. They want the banter back and forth, and enjoy feeling "above" everyone else by putting them down.

I try to keep my posts respectful towards those individuals, or refrain posting at all. Hopefully my comments haven't been seen as a negative cloud over our AtoZ family :eek:hmy:

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

I have noticed that too, though not necessarily in the last couple of days since I haven't been on much. I know I am guilty of having allowed myself to get too involved in some threads that seem negative, though I always try to comment in a kind and respectful way. I tend to get updet when I see members being disrespected here. For the most part I try to avoid the negativity. I used to belong to another forum and everyone is so rude there that I only go when I need information and am desperate.

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

I have no problem with anyone who has responded to this thread (of course) :). I don't mind, in fact I seek constructive criticism. That being said, some of the comments lately are (1) rude, (2) fallacies, and (3) BS.

26. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2013

The responses I noticed on a specific thread made me wonder if the person really was a teacher.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Why don't we agree here and now to proceed like repectful, civil adults? I agree to this. It's okay to have an opposing view as long as we respectfully express it and not participate in personal attacks. That does nothing to advance this forum anyway.

28. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

We (the people on this thread) aren't the ones who need the reminder, lol!

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 18, 2013

That's a good idea but the person I am thinking of probably doesn't even realize they are being rude half the time. It is just their nature.

30. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

I can think of about 4. People that is. Or trolls, lol.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

That's probably true. Well, hopefully we can keep things peaceful and respectful. Maybe things will turn around for the best.

32. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 18, 2013

As a newer member of the forum I apologize if I have ever offended or upset anyone. I realize that I am one of those posters that brings up more controversial topics (i.e. inclusion and bullying). I don't do this because I want to upset anyone, I do this because I feel that reading a discussion on the topic really helps me broaden my horizons. My college professors had a very one-dimensional view of how education ought to work and should work. Reading posts from teachers that are actually down in the trenches (so to speak) is very valuable to me as an educator.

Please PM me if I ever upset you so I may write you a personal apology. I really never meant to get on anyone's bad side, and I want people to feel that this is a safe place to express their opinions.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

I thought the inclusion thread was great!!! :2cents:

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

Microbe...
    I haven't personally seen any offensive posts by you. To my knowledge, you haven't attacked anyone's beliefs or teaching ability, nor have you made blanket statements with no basis in fact or experience. My mama used to tell me that there is no stupid question. I enjoy real give-and-take discussion, and, as I said constructive criticism. As a lifelong learner, I am always striving to improve my teaching ability (and to stretch my brain, lol). Not everything has to be butterflies and roses, but one thing I love about AtoZ (at least most of the time) is that we are all respectful of each other.

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 18, 2013

The feel of the boards changes over time - so does the temperature. This thread is a heartfelt call to all members to do their best to respect the culture of AtoZ. We are all professionals and this is a professional site. But, it is also a respite place from the rigors and craziness of the demands of teaching which can seem overwhelming. Let's provide support for each other, respect our differences, and learn from each other.

36. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

Bullying and inclusion are excellent topics. I am glad you bring up those subjects.

37. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 19, 2013

I too hope I have not been an offender. There are a few hot-button issues in which I usually get involved, though I think I manage to keep myself from being heated. And there are one or two other posters who manage to get me kind of riled up. I've taken to simply trying to stay out of the discussions that heavily involve deep opinions, and staying in the pedagogy threads only.

38. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 19, 2013

I certainly hope I've never offended anyone on these threads! I have to say, all you ladies and gents have been so helpful ever since I found this site as a new teacher 5 years ago. I know I don't always post, but I am constantly reading and learning from everyone. This has been my go-to site throughout my maternity leave- I'm busy collecting tools and ideas for the fall!

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2013

I love this forum, and I love being able to read everyone's responses and ideas.

But this does happen every year, and it's very stressful when it does happen, because I think of AtoZ as my happy place. I come here for the camaraderie, not even more stress.

Sigh. I made cookies last night. Everyone's invited over for cookies and hugs.

40. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

I'm very new here, so I have no basis for comparison. Yes, there are a few acerbic remarks but overall I find the tone here quite civil.

41. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

I understand the feeling. I think if we were to just decide as a fairly large group to ignore posts that are inflammatory as if no one ever said anything, they may take their ball and go.

I know this can be difficult, because at times it starts off as a rational discussion and escalates, and we feel emotionally involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.