What is expected of entering preschoolers?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by allgirls, Jul 18, 2006.

1. allgirls

allgirls Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

My 5 yr old twin girls are starting preschool this year rather than kindergarten. After a speech and language therapist (us first and foremost) deemed one of the girls not ready for K., we have decided to hold them both back from starting K. and possibly enter them in preschool instead. I say possibly because there is a waiting list to get in. My question is what really is necessary or rather expected of an incoming preschooler?

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 18, 2006

I don't really have any expectations of my incomming pre-k--- they are so young and it comes with time--

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Potty trained :eek:

Minimal separation anxiety :eek:

Some listening skills :)

5. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Most of my preschoolers come in knowing very little. Sometimes you may come across a few children who can write their name and know a majority of their letters and colors. Sometimes you get some that know none. If you have taught name writing make sure it is using lower case letters and only Upper case at the beginning of their names. That is a hard habit to break. That is my opinion.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 18, 2006

Oh I always forget about the potty training since my kids don't have to be as they are Early Childhood Special Ed... most are though---

7. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

As a Pre-K teacher in a public school I don't expect they know very much. The emphasis of our program is to put them into a social setting so they can learn to get along with others and teach some basic skills. My program is based on our K program, but not as extensive. I say that my curriculum is colors, letters, numbers, and shapes and after that everything is a bonus. Unless they have some major delays that you are aware of placing them in with a group of their peers allows them to stay with their age group (important to some parents). At any time they enter school they will develop new friends and learn at their pace. Not knowing what state you are from may make a difference. In Texas a child of 5 cannot be placed in a public school Pre-K unless they are in a Special Ed program. Then it would still be pretty rare.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2006

I would check on your school districts standards. Every area is different. Pre-k standards aren't as extensive and demanding as entering K standards.

9. allgirls

allgirls Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Wow! I think that is so wrong. Some 5 yr olds are just not ready for the kindergarten curriculum and to say they need a special education program is wrong. The time between a 4 - 6 yr old is a time of tremendous changes and emotions. In the case of my girls, it isn't their lack of skills or a lack of social skills, it's their emotions and their responses to adults that is prompting us to start them in pre-k rather than k. So, special ed is not even a forethought. I'm just shocked that children so young are being labeled as special ed children based on their age!

10. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

it depends on their last teacher and weather or not they taught them anything

11. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

Nearly all of the PreK/preschools around here have 3, 4, and 5 year old programs

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 20, 2006

You think that is absurd---- here in Chicago they just changed it so that Special Ed Kids can't have an extra year of pre-k unless they go into a program that is ALL SPECIAL ED PRE-K (which isn't really appropriate for them). Otherwise, they go straight into kindergarten (usually 28-30 kids NO AIDE) with montly special ed support (for the most part). The ages = funding issue. At least here. Head Start will only pay for "Age Cycle 3/4" not all areas of the city have "State Pre-K" therefore rules have to apply to all programs.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

YUCK, turtle! I was teaching in the north suburbs last year, and we have one particular child who's getting a 3rd year of preschool because his parents fought for it (all the way to the special ed. director and supt.) against the recommendation of the teachnig staff. He'd been in an integrated half-day probram the last 2 years (4 days/week), and added 2 afternoons in my room (self-contained). He was nowhere near ready for K, but we really don't feel an extra year of preschool is going to catch him up... (we've been working on the exact same set of skills for the last 2 years and he isn't there yet... can't reliably match from a field of 2!!!, etc)... but around here, all the parents have to say is "due process" and they get what they want.

14. allgirls

allgirls Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

If you say this child is NOWHERE ready for k., what is so wrong with another year of pre-k? It seems to me (and this is just from my own experiences and knowledge) that teachers and school officials seem to think that a parent has no say when a THEIR child moves on to a higher grade. Now I'm talking the early years, pre-k and k. Parents are extremely discounted in their knowledge of their children and that is very unfair. In GA, by law, at 6 yrs old a child must be enrolled in school whether that is k. or 1st grade. At this point in my children's lives, I will accept a teacher or school officials's OPINION but it is my final decision where they go, for how long, and when as long as I KNOW it is in their best interest.

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Well, the issue is the fact that district's policy on PreK retention is ONLY if that extra year will catch them up to their peers, and that otherwise, they should be with their age-mates and receive extra help. This is a kid who will quite likely always be getting special ed. services, due to the multiple issues he has. So the reason it was against the EC team's suggestions is because we, as a team, didn't feel that an extra year of the exact same curriculum was what was going to help him catch up to where he needs to be. At the same time, mom didn't want the extra 1-1 support the full-day room provides, which is what was recommended.

But.... I'm not in the district next year (and it wasn't me who made the decision, as I wasn't case manager for him) ;)