What is everyone eating?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Blue, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 6, 2012

I know we have done this before, but I could not find it in the archieves. I have been cooking the same meals for a while and need some new ideas.

We have been eating:

Breaded chicken'
    Mashed potatoes and gravy
    Green beans

Tonight we had chicken cordan blue
    baked potatoes and salad

Breaded fish
    french fries and green beans

We also have a lot of pasta.

We don't eat red meat. All of us need low fat, except for my GS who needs to gain weight. He gets whole milk and an ice cream milkshake every night.

Any great recipes? I use the slow cooker a lot.

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 6, 2012

Hmm... tonight Shane and I got sushi. Last night we made chicken cordon bleu and a vegetable medley. We eat a lot of pasta and fish, too, usually with a side salad.

I avoid "white carbs" so I get my sushi with brown rice, only have whole grain pasta, etc.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 6, 2012

Instead of breaded chicken:
    - why not just bake it - you can just put it in the slow cooker. Yesterday morning I put the chicken in there, Pico de Gallo seasoning (or whatever you want, even just simple salt and pepper) some rosemary, and went to work. By the time I got home, it was done, and it was so soft, the meat fell of the bone :)
    You can even just dump some spaghetti sauce on it and let it bake.
    - try turkey, maybe pork? also if you eat fish, there is huge selection of fish to be baked.
    - stuffed chicken

Instead of mashed potatoes / baked potatoes:
    - cut up potatoes, salt / pepper, coat wit olive oil in a pan. You can sprinkle some parsley on it
    - try yam. Baked, mashed, fried. Better for you and yummy.

Instead of green beans, try other vegetables:
    - steamed cabbage, cauliflower (you can also fry it), broccoli, bok choy, leeks, etc., etc.

Try legumes beans, peas, lentils. Lentils boiled with some salt, pepper and honey is awesome! (it's a Hungarian recipe)

So you can do everything you've been doing just with different food items. :)

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 6, 2012

Great ideas. I was thinking of cooking the chicken in the slow cooker with some salsa. Serve it with rice. We are in rut with green beans. My DD husbands takes carrots with his lunch, does't like corn. We all love parsnips and brussel sprouts, so guess I need to buy more of those.

Mike, my DD just suggested a salad with leftover meat each night for those trying to cut down on calories.

I am also going to try more dried beans, etc. I have some in the pantry.

6. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Dec 6, 2012

I eat chicken cooked with a whole jar of salsa in the slow cooker. I also add lime juice and chili powder. It smells amazing and we eat it either as nachos, nachos, or burritos. I like a side of beans and rice with it too.

If you are trying to cut calories, but a salad doesn't seem that substantial you might try making homemade soups. You can put just about anything in them including tons of beans and vegetables and you can cook them in crock pot. Soup really feels like a meal if you serve it with a salad and some crusty bread (I like the crusty bread because it takes longer to chew and eat so I don't eat quite so much bread with my meal).

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 6, 2012

Last night we grilled sausages and made french fries (I'm trying to get the knife skills to slice the potatoes properly). Not our most nutritious dinner, but we were both tired and I wasn't in the mood for salad.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2012

I just ate left over cake.:thumb:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2012

You can pre-soak dry beans (relatively) quickly in the microwave: in a 2qt casserole place 1 to 2 cups dry beans and 2 cups water; microwave, covered, on full power for 15 minutes; add 2 cups very hot water and allow to stand for one hour; drain beans, which you may find are already partly cooked, and use.

I used to make Egyptian Stew in the crockpot, back in my grad-student days, though I can't now remember whether I used dried beans or canned. In the last couple of years I've cooked it on the stovetop; here's the basic recipe, though I tend to change it up a lot:

In a heavy-bottomed 1 gallon pot heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil. In the oil saute one large chopped onion till it's either limp or brown. Add half a cup of water and 1.5 cups presoaked dried beans or 2 15 oz canned beans, in that order so the beans don't stick; immediately add 2 cans diced tomatoes, 8 to 10 oz corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned), one chopped pasilla pepper or two chopped bell peppers, the equivalent of one largish zucchini, quartered and thickly sliced, up to half a cup of chopped parsley, and salt or Better than Bouillon vegetable base and pepper as desired. Simmer till the beans are done, and serve with bread that can be used to sop up the juices. Lemon juice or balsamic vinegar can be added at the time of serving to brighten the flavor.

When I did this in the crockpot, I skipped the browning step and just loaded everything at once into the pot to cook on low power all day. (The crockpot I now have seems to have a very low low power; that's why I stopped using it.)

I've varied this: one can hold off on adding the peppers and the zucchini if one likes them to have a fresher consistency; one can vary the seasoning (my recent versions have used fresh thyme and fresh oregano, since I seem to have a black thumb as regards parsley, and sometimes I'll also use dried basil, sage, marjoram, and lavender with fennel seeds for an herbes de Provence effect); one can add a pound or so of meat or fresh sausage, in which case it should be lightly browned in the hot oil first before the onions go on; one can include chopped carrot and/or turnip; and so on. If I use sausage or meat, I'll often thicken the result with instant mashed potato.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2012

OOh fun. Well, as a non-meat eating person, I can give you some different ideas.

How about making spaghetti using spaghetti squash? It's super yummy and we don't even bother using real pasta anymore. You can make it with normal tomato sauce. (we like to also add homemade basil pesto). YUM.

Lentil soup!
    http://theshiksa.com/2012/10/11/slow-cooker-lentil-cauliflower-stew/

Lasagna, but replacing the noodle shells with eggplant slices instead.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/3-chee...earch&event10=1&e7=/my/recipebox/default.aspx

Sweet potatoes with chili (kind of like baked potatoes, but sweet potatoes with chili is even yummier!)

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2012

We will be having chicken noodles and veggies tonite... It's something my sis gave me the recipe...it's on the stove top one pan!! YAY!!! I better go get the chicken out!!

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 6, 2012

I have chicken and salsa in the crock pot right now. I will be trying a soup in my other crock pot. I love the ideas. It is good weather for soup.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 6, 2012

Last night we had Mediterranean dip with pita chips. It's made like a 5 layer mexican dip but with hummus, feta cheese, calamata olives, roasted red peppers and tomatoes. It doesn't seem like a whole meal but ends up being really filling if you add some stuffed grape leaves on the side.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2012

Blue... we make potato soup in our crockpot and I make my own chicken stock and then either freeze it or use it for soup!!! YUMMY!!!

15. storyh

storyh Companion

Dec 8, 2012

I am eating a ramen noodle instant lunch!

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

Cornbread and vegetables.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

Tonight it's leftover tater tot hotdish.

18. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 8, 2012

Next weekend I'm making lasagna soup.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 8, 2012

I just found a new recipe for pancake: 2 eggs and a banana. I thought it was strange, so I tried it out. It tasted a little different, but it did have the consistency of the pancake, and it was a healthier choice. I topped it with roasted slivered almonds, some dark chocolate chips and some light syrup - it was yummy.
    I made my daughter the regular version, she's not up for things like this.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

That's all it was, just two eggs and a banana? No flour or anything?

21. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 9, 2012

we eat a lot of chicken! We make chicken enchiladas with a sour cream sauce

smothered chicken (not the healthiest but really yummy!)- We use chicken tenders but you can use breasts too. Top with honey mustard and bake for about 40 mins. Add cooked bacon and sauteed mushrooms to the top of each piece of chicken, then cover with cheddar cheese, bake a few more mins until cheese is melted. We usually have this with rice and a veggie

pork chops and potatoes in the crock pot- slice 1 bag of potatoes(that is for about 4 people) and put in bottom of crock pot, brown pork chops in pan then place in crock pot on top of potatoes, mix 2 cans cream of mushroom soup and 2 cans milk and pour on top. Cook on low for about 8 hours! When you serve add cheddar cheese to the top (cover with another plate for a minute to melt the cheese)

Thin pork chop sandwiches- we grill thin pork chops with bbq sauce for sandwiches. We usually have fries with this.

Chicken with Stuffing- Put chicken breasts in glass baking dish, cover each one with provolone(or mozzarella) cheese. Put one bag cubed stuffing (we use pepperidge farm) on top of the chicken. Mix 2 cans cream of chicken soup and 2 cans of milk, pour over the top. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.

I put a Ham in the crock pot with a little brown sugar glaze on top and some water and cook on low. We usually have baked potatoes and pineapple with it.

Baked Turkey- season and bake a turkey breast in the oven. Serve with mashed potatoes, gravy and a veggie like corn casserole or green beans

22. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Vegetable-French-Cutter/dp/B00004RDFH

get that to make french fries

makes it much easier. Just put a potato in, press, cuts fries. Make sure to do a lot.

This week my mom has made:
    Pineapple Chicken Sandwiches w/ Mozzarella and Bacon (and lettuce and tomato)

Breaded Porkchops (Sometimes makes peach porkchops)

Captain Crunch Breaded Chicken (chicken marinated in buttermilk)

Pork Roast w/ a sweet spicy bourbon rub

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 9, 2012

I'm making Teriaki Orange chicken in the crockpot today. I've never made it before but anything I've made from this particular Crock Pot cookbook has come out great!

24. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2012

I use to like top ramen, until one of the teachers mentioned the salt content of it.:( I knew it all along, BUT shrugged it off. I don't eat it anymore.

I am making soup with all my veggies that I have in the fridge, even though I'd rather get some chicken from KFC. The one in the neighborhood has gone down so bad with their chicken that it is a PITA to go there. The last time I went which was about 7ish, the chicken pieces looked like they have been sitting in the heated light overnight. YUCK 4x!:eek: Was it all just the unpicked chicken for the earlier diners and customers? If I go next time, I will make sure and check the bag before I get home, AND of course I am letting them KNOW when I go in there. I just might pay them a visit today since it's a nice day for dining out, and speaking my mind.:D
    Rebel1

25. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 9, 2012

Ewww ramen. That stuff has a wax coating on the noodles that doesn't cook off, and it takes a disgusting amount of time to process through your body :(.

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 9, 2012

Yes, that's it! Sounds strange, but it works. First mash the banana up so there are almost no lumps, then add the eggs, mix and pour. It's sweet from the banana, has just about the same consistency as the regular batter, just a little creamier. But it works.

You can experiment and add a little flour, but it will work without it as well.

27. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 9, 2012

I'm a very picky eater and don't cook "traditional" meals really. I just made a grocery list for this week and for dinners I'm planning on having:

-pancakes
    -taco salad
    -turkey/cheese pannini
    -chicken quesadilla

I only plan Monday-Thursday since I usually just eat something at happy hour on Fridays! I take lean cuisines for lunch. It's nice to just grab something from the freezer in the morning. On the weekends I usually don't eat at home much, maybe just some light things here or there.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 9, 2012

I'm in the mood to make my potstickers, but I need to get a few ingredients today.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2012

Tonight we're having organic farmer's sausage (only 110 calories per sausage!). Our "standards" are chicken breasts, lean pork chops or pork tenderloin and lean beef. Sides are stir-fry veggies, broccoli, salad, baked or roasted sweet potatoes.

30. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2012

Tell that to all the college kids who try to survive on these.:p
    Rebel1

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2012

Tonight I made German potato soup and served it with kaiser rolls. Yum!

32. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 9, 2012

Tonight we had oven fried chicken with brussel spouts with bacon. We had rice and gravy since we have so much rice on the shelf.

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2012

Well, it's only 10:30 AM and I just finished my second ice-cream sandwich. Sigh. There's no hope for me. Once I get a food in my head, I can't resist.

34. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

This is a fantastic website for slow cooker recipes! The Brown Sugar Chicken is great, and it's one of her most popular dishes. I like her site because she's brutally honest in her reviews, and everything she posts is gluten free!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Upsadaisy, I completely understand! I'll be browsing for recipes for the rest of the afternoon!

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 10, 2012

I will have to look on that site. I keep forgetting about it. We eat mainly low carb so I usually have to adapt recipes. I would love to use the crockpot at least 3 times a week. I love it!
    Tonight my hubby is eating pork chops and apple sauce (bleh!) so I am having leftover crockpot teriaki chicken from last night.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2012

Today, I ate at Souplantation. I love their Wonton Chicken Happiness salad, their ranch dressing for me to make my other kind of salad, their mushroom soup, and pizzza. I love that place.

37. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 10, 2012

tx, I use that site all the time. I have made that chicken based upon a recommendation from you. We love it.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 4, 2013

For today's dinner, it's sushi and a lettuce salad w/ a baby spring mix of lettuce, radishes, scallions, mushrooms, & ranch dressing.

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 4, 2013

I was going to get sushi but could not find any with brown rice since we don't eat white rice anymore. I settled on making some hamburgers on the George Forman grill and putting some sweet potato fries in the oven!

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2013

Broiled steak, roasted sweet potatoes, french cut green beans.

41. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 4, 2013

Matzo ball soup from scratch, with LOTS of extra pepper and garlic to help ease Rockhubby's and my colds. The recipe for the matzo balls is right on the container of the matzo meal, but I recommend swapping out the vegetable oil for chicken fat, if available.