What is ELMO?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nancyb, Jul 29, 2007.

1. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I will be teaching in a new school, currently under construction, opening for this coming school year. I will have something called an elmo. What the heck is it? How do those of you who have it use it?

3. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

I think it's kind of like an overhead projector, except you can put a regular piece of paper/worksheet on it and it will still project it on the wall. I did a subbing job and had one of those in the classroom.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

I'm not 100% sure, because I don't have one - but my mother (also a teacher) has one and adores it. Apparently, it is like an overhead on steroids. It basically functions as an overhead, but instead of only transparencies, you can show ANYTHING. Books, paper, pictures, anything will be shown up on the screen. You will love having it! :)

5. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Jul 29, 2007

The other posters are correct an elmo is an advanced overhead projector. Basically it is a digital video camera that is above surface to put papers, pcitures, etc. You can up anything under the elmo and it will project. A second grade teacher at my school put a small pizza on her elmo to do fractions. In my class I once put my hand down on the elmo and the girls commented on my manicure! When I have kids working on problems I can just grab someones paper and put it up to show the work. I love mine.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

You can also tape things (at least mine can). Ex: you can do a science demo on there, and then tape it, and show it to students who are absent, or the whole class if you only want to do a demo once.

I don't know how I ever lived w/o mine!

7. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Thanks, ya'll. I'm a bit intimidated by any new technology, not being very savvy in that department. Hopefully it will come with a user-friendly instruction manual!

8. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

also, if you have a TV in your classroom your ELMO can hook up to that and be linked to your computer so you can project websites or powerpoints for your kids.... the kids LOVE it

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

ELMO is your new best friend!!:hugs:

10. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Oh how I want an ELMO so bad! I'm terribly envious. Technology is one thing that is definitely lacking in my school.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

They're great! We have nothing like that in my district.

12. 2masters@nojob

2masters@nojob Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Elmos are great. Be sure to practice using it before school starts so you are comfortable using it (so you don't take too much time getting started). It is a lot easier than making transparencies and you can use it on the spur of the moment. Kids love projecting their faces on the screen when they first see it. Also, it can be useful when you want to show students and example of revising. You can even get students to come up (just like you would to the board) and attempt it.

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

Elmos' are wonderful. I love mine and would be really upset if I had to be without it!!!!! You will love it and it is sooooooo easy to use. Turn it on, put something under it, a paper, a page from a book, a science experiment, or what ever and magically it appears on your screen...well not magically but you know what I mean!:2up:

14. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I used ELMO for a few months once and it was wonderful.
    I especially like that you can project in color or black and white as well as ZOOM in.
    You'll really like it.