What is considered too much homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Aspiringinstruc, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Sep 15, 2013

I send my kids homework every night. They have to do 5 review problems over what we did for today in math, 10 problems (math and ela) on the big20 sheet and a spelling assignment. I feel like it's too much homework. I don't even have time during the day to go over it. What Can I do to cut this down. Or is this not a lot?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

How long (on average) do you think it takes to complete? If you're not doing anything with it, it needs to be reconsidered (as you obviously are).

I don't support assigning much homework. For third grade, no more than twenty minutes plus some reading time.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

My third grade HW should take kids no more than 30 minutes. A math page, spelling choice and reading.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

This is what you need to address right here.:thumb:

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I aim for no more than twenty minutes a day. I see two purposes behind homework. The incidental purpose is to help reinforce the concepts we learned that day, but the real reason I give homework is to start building in a sense of responsibility, and to prepare them for expectations that will be had of them as they get older. They don't need more than twenty minutes per day for that as third graders. They do need time to run, play and be kids, after all.

I don't really emphasize homework for grades... we go over it, but usually no more than two minutes or so. Some kids are completely on their own, others have mom and dad sitting over their shoulder the same time... since they don't have the same circumstances, it wouldn't really be fair to put major expectations on it.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

Yes, I try to follow the 10-minutes per grade for hw.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

Also, I would look at what you are giving that is truly valuable and what you can cut. Is any of it busy work? Is it really necessary?

9. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

There's a body of research that shows that any more than 20 minutes has diminishing returns. They actually learn less.

I think it's great that you noticed this.

10. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 15, 2013

I agree with what others said about calculating about how long it takes students to complete the homework. Then perhaps you could experiment a little bit to find which hw is really beneficial and what just ends up being "busy work"

In my district students are required to read every night (minutes depends on grade). Even if this was not required I would probably still do it because I love the idea. Students can choose any book so they can choose something that suits them in interest and reading level. In addition it equalizes the field a bit as it doesn't matter if you read slowly or quickly since everyone does the same minimum time. Also, I know lots of research has shown the benefit of reading on a child's overall academic progress

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 16, 2013

If it's applicable to the lesson, even if I don't have time to go over it in class, I still give it. My rationale is that the students have more time at home and in (most) cases they have a parent and/or older sibling who is able to support them and assist as needed, unlike the classroom where they are competing with close to 30 other kids for 1 teacher's attention/help.

Everything is relative though. Compared to what I used to do for homework as a kid, I feel like what I give the kids is too much. Then, I look at what Common Core is expecting of our kids for these benchmark exams, and I feel a little better about it.

A typical homework assignment:

Math(M - R): 1 - 2 word problems where the kids are expected to use a diagram and/or a number sentence to show their work as well as a sentence explaining how they found their answer/know it is correct.

Reading (M - R): An assignment involving that day's strategy (ie: today was "summarize" so the homework is to read a story and complete a story map telling what happened "First, Next and Last"

Science (T) and Social Studies (W): Draw and label a picture about something we learned, then write a sentence about it (ie: draw a butterflies life cycle and write each stage)

I've had parents complain it's not enough homework (I tell them to supplement by creating more problems based on the ones I've written on the homework). I've had parents complain it's too much homework (Never sure what to tell them except, "This is what's being expected of the children to ready them for the state assessment")

12. DrBill

DrBill Rookie

Sep 16, 2013

Hi Aspiring:

The research is a little sketchy on this, but it does suggest that about 10 minutes of homework per grade level. This means that a 5th grade child should have no more that 50 minutes of homework in total every evening.

What is considered appropriate homework is a different topic, but I am in the middle of writing a good blog post about volume and what to assign right now. Keep an eye out for it on the PD Corner with Dr. Bill blog.

Good luck and I hope I helped,

Dr. Bill
    PDCorner

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2013

Sorry, that just kind of jumped out at me.

My elementary school aged daughter got home at 3:15 today. Bedtime is 8:30. So she has a total of 5 hours and 15 minutes a day not in school or asleep... far less than the 8:15-3:00 she spent in school today.

I didn't get home until after 4, and I pulled in with my husband. So we're down to 4 1/2 hours of that help.

The siblings aren't any help-- they have their own homework to do. My husband came home and hit the computer to do schoolwork. Right now he's fast asleep.

I got home and helped her (and her friend, who was struggling) with homework from 4:10 till 5. The I started dinner. And served it. And did the dishes. And cleared a place in the living room for the new TV my husband and son had to go pick up.(our old one died 2 weeks ago and we got a deal yesterday.) And started my own schoolwork. Then I helped my son review his math. Then I helped that same youngest daughter review for her quiz on the Constitutional Convention. (I've pretty much ignored daughter #2... she has no quizzes or tests coming up in the next day or two.)

I came down to the computer at about 7:45, and I've got to admit, I'm toast. I'm fighting a cold and my head is fuzzy. I'll be in bed early tonight.

Tomorrow night, on the other hand, is a problem. My husband is working late after school. I have to teach religion from 5 till 6, then be at the middle school for parent orientation at 7. Not lots of time to do schoolwork with mom or dad tomorrow night. Oh, and did I mention that I'm testing 4 classes tomorrow? Somewhere in there I would like to get in some grading, since I like to return tests the next day when possible.

Wednesday I have a meeting wtih the AP right after school, followed by a committee meeting until about 5.I have to get the girls to gymnastics by 6. My husband has a meeting for the Knights of Columbus. Extra help isn't looking real good for Wednesday.

Thursday is easier. No meetings after school. But the high school orientation program for my son begins at 7.

Where is all this free time I'm supposed to have to help each of my 3 kids with work that's not important enough to go over in class?? What exactly am I supposed to cut out?

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 16, 2013

My kids spell their words to an adult, read 15 minutes, and complete one math page. I am required to assign that for HW. Personally, I wouldn't assign any HW if I didn't have to. Too often parents do most of it or the poor child has no help at home. I can't say I really see a lot of value in HW K-3.

15. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 16, 2013

We give what most of you would probably consider a lot of homework. We assign spiral review sheets in all core subjects, with each one having 4 multiple-choice questions. They take a battery of state tests in third grade, and we go over all the homework in class as a means of reviewing information daily.

We do have a built-in time for the students to start it in class (10 mins during 'snack time' in the afternoon where they are required to be working). So, they get a good start on it during this time. Many finish the science and social studies during this time, and only have to do math/reading at home.

The average child should get the work done in 30 minutes at home, tops.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2013

:thumb: This is a good idea. 30 minutes is a good amount for 3rd grade.