What is better - a masters in for. lang. secondary education or a MA in Spanish?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lokobreed, Jul 1, 2009.

1. lokobreed

lokobreed Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Hello,

I am wanting to become a Spanish teacher for highschool with the ability to teach at community colleges as well. I will eventually return to receive my PHD so I am eligible to teach at the University level as well.

My question is this:

Is it better to receive a Bachelors in Spanish and a Masters in Secondary For. Language Education (Spanish)
    or
    Bachelors in Secondary For. Lang. Education (Spanish) and a Masters in Spanish?

and why?

Thank you very much for the help

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

Most community colleges here require a masters in your content area. Actually, many end up hiring only with phd. At the cc I transferred from, even 90% of the adjuncts had phds. In the language department, native speakers were the exception, but the rest all had phd. (I took Italian and Spanish)

I am sure that this varies widely regionally, so I would suggest checking job postings for any that you would interested in and see what they require. Also, checking faculty pages will give you an idea.

For high school, I doubt it matters--all the districts here are fairly desperate for spanish teachers. If you are a good candidate, your chances are great.

4. lokobreed

lokobreed Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

thanks, so you believe it is better to receive my BA in Sec. For. Language Education (spanish) and then master in Spanish?

5. lokobreed

lokobreed Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

thanks

Thank you very much, anyone else have any opinions to put in.

I need to decide by this upcoming semester in Fall... I have been told both... to get bachelors in Spanish and Masters in Education and have also been told vice versa.

I am hoping to hear some other opinions from other fellow teachers.

Thank you

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Oh. Well, I probably would never recommend doing a watered down education concentration. We have that for geology at my school, and they take some requirements for teaching, but they give up a lot of rigor in their program. If they go to grad school for geology later, they have catching up to do. But, it is easy to add an education minor to pick up the education credits.

The math education program here is the same way: lacks rigor, which can hinder future opportunities.

I don't think you can go wrong with the spanish degree and then tacking on the education credits either as a minor, or a year of grad school later.

(Just in case nobody here has notice--I am opinionated :D)