What is an effective writing program for 3rd?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoerba, Jul 28, 2008.

1. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

My team is looking to find an effective writing program for 3rd grade. We are trying to really focus on grammar and conventions this upcoming year. I believe our school has ordered Step Up to Writing which I have heard is excellent for organizing a paragraph. I have already used Lucy Calkins, which was excellent but a little too long winded. We have also tried 6 Traits which wasn't structured enough for us.

Some programs we are considering are Expressive Writing and The Complete Writing Program.

Has anyone had experience with either of these or has used a program that they just love?

Thanks for your input. :2up:

3. Joji

Joji Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Our department (spec ed.) is using a program called Framing your Thoughts. http://www.projectread.com/topic.php?topID=41

It is a direct systematic way to make writing more structured. Starting with basic sentence formation (subject, predicate) to predicate expanders. I started the program last year and the kids really get in to "coding" their sentences. I haven't tired the applied writing yet but that leads you into paragraph writing.

We did use the 4 square prior to that and as you mentioned in your post it wasn't structured enough as with the 6 traits. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Four-Square/Judith-S-Gould/e/9781573104210

4. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

A colleague and I bought Ralph Fletcher's Teaching the Qualities of Writing. I wish I could give a really solid review of it, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. It focuses on the "qualities" or "traits" of writing, but it is much more structured and planned out than 6 Traits. It also comes with a unit on setting up a Writer's Notebook. The lessons look great. I'm excited to try some of it out this year. Check it out here: teachingthequalitiesofwriting.com