What is an Associate Teacher?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Shiloh17, May 28, 2013.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 28, 2013

What is an Associate Teacher? Anyone on this forum an Associate Teacher?

3. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 28, 2013

I believe its having two teachers in one classroom..like co-teaching. I do not believe its an Assistant Teacher (which is what I do in Kindergarten) I only remember ever seeing that in Preschool classrooms---------------but I may be wrong.

Hope I helped a bit :)

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 28, 2013

Is it possible this is a Title I teacher who is embedded in the classroom? That might be the case if the school is SES-eligible.

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 28, 2013

I have worked as an Associate teacher, and currently am the lead teacher in the same model. It can vary depending on the schools, (I've seen some where "associate teacher" is really just "assistant") but here's how it worked at my past two schools:

1st school: the associate teacher position was meant for beginning teachers, almost like a replacement for BTSA. It was a mentorship program where I worked with another, more experienced teacher. I was a teacher in the classroom in every sense of the word. I created lessons, grade papers, wrote report cards, created discipline plans, etc. However, when it came down to ultimate decisions or major issues with parents, kids, etc. the final word came from the lead teacher. This was still done through conversations between myself and the lead teacher, so it's not like I was out of the loop. It really is a co-teaching position, but I guess more like a 60/40 split than 50/50?

Current School: Same type of thing as 1st school for the past two years, but next year a teacher from another class is moving into my class & we will be working together. Because she is also an experienced teacher, it will be more of an actual co-teaching position. Major decisions will have to be made together, parents will see both of us as an equal face in the classroom.

I know this model doesn't work for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoy working with another teacher, and it's an amazing resource that many teachers aren't lucky enough to have. Though, for some, sharing responsibility & giving up some control is hard.

6. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 28, 2013

I never worked as an associate teacher, but I did interview for a position as one. The way the school described it was that it was a certified position. It was generally for newer teachers and you'd be in a classroom with a lead teacher. For this particular school, the lead teacher planned all subjects except for one, that the associate teacher taught and planned.