What is an area outside your content area that you are good at?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 22, 2013

The other thread about whether or not teachers are good teachers if they don't know all other content areas gave me the idea for this thread.

We may not be experts in every subject outside the one we teach, but I'm willing to bet that there are other areas that each of us has explored, possibly when we were younger and were interested in.

For me, I could answer a ton of questions about world history. I was fascinated by it throughout my life, and even studied it quite a bit in college, going overseas for archaeological digs and such. I can also do quite a bit of higher level math, but I wasn't as interested in it as Archaeology.

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 22, 2013

I started college as a chemistry major before switching over to math so there's that. I also really like writing papers. Not to toot my own horn, but I've never written a paper that I didn't get an A on.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2013

I'm good in math, although math and science very much go hand in hand. I was || this close to majoring in secondary math ed instead of biology.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 22, 2013

I minored in English, and I write very well. I'm a stickler for grammar.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

I write well, and I love history, particulary 20th century history.

I'm not strong enough in either to teach it competently, but I'm fairly strong for an outsider looking in.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

I love Math, though I don't teach it. (Hopefully I will again, though).

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2013

I love reading and writing. I am pretty good at Chemistry, even though I don't really enjoy it. I'm mainly very interested in social justice issues, not just in the US, but in the whole world. I took a lot of classes on subjects like that in college and I thought they were easier than my math classes. I also spend a lot of time reading and researching them.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

Music! I wish I had learned to play more instrument so that I could be a music teacher! I'll have to settle for teaching film and drama, instead! :) I'm also certified to teach social studies, and minored in both sociology and philosophy. My weakest point is chemistry. The last time I took a chemistry class was 1996, and it wasn't very rigorous. I'm getting a masters in liberal arts and sciences degree, so I'm taking a variety of courses and learning about a broad range of topics.

10. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

I'm good at Spanish and English. Before I got into the program I was in at my university, my original major was Secondary Spanish, with a minor in English. After I started working at my previous district, that all changed. I rekindled my love for science, and got pretty decent at math too.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

My content area was English; however, I am very interested in History. I'm sure I bore people when I start talking about it.

12. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 22, 2013

I think you could stick me in a math, music, drama, English or French classroom and I'd be just fine :lol:. I love sociology, too.

13. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

I like this thread! :D

Honestly, I think I'm good at physical stuff lol (does that count?) dancing a *lot*, running, biking, I just went backpacking/hiking, and I'm going to start doing yoga :). I did team sports a lot though I was never super at any of them or that into the team part, but I'm so glad that I did them because I suspect the moving part was good for me. I loved fencing though :)

The thing that really competed with music for me was art. I need to get back into that. I also enjoy french.

I'm thinking about the teachers I had when I was growing up. I grew up in very rural Vermont and a couple lived on farms and new a lot about animals, food, and cooking - and a lot of what I think of as fairly practical skills like that. Maybe that doesn't count either but it impressed me. My third grade teacher brought in a baby lamb that had just been born one day :) My own high school band teacher was one of those.

Where I teach now, the science teacher is SUPER into music, and the spanish teacher across the way is an absolutely excellent pianist and gigs regularly :)

14. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

English and writing except for spelling which is my weakness. I am probably one of a select few science folks who scored higher on the verbal section of the GRE than the math. Sometimes I fantasize about how awesome it would be to teach high school English and get kids hooked on reading some great books. However, I love science more.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

History. I love it!

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2013

Well, as an elementary teacher in a self-contained classroom, I teach all content areas. I'm certified in middle school S.S. and Spanish, and I could confidently teach either of those.

But during religion class today, as I was explaining the Greek root of a word, one of my kiddos said, "Miss K, you know everything!" And another chimed in, "That's because she's a teacher!" A third countered, "Nuh-uh--not ALL teachers know everything, just the good ones!"

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

Cute ama! The good ones indeed. :lol:

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 22, 2013

I'm best with poetry, classic literature, and grammar. I write nonfiction, but can take or leave fiction. I love philosophy, which ties nicely with some science, history, and psychology.

I'm good with math. I know some medical subjects. I love music and play several instruments.

I think I just like learning in general, so I dabble in everything.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2013

Agreed!!!:D

20. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2013

My BA is English, but I love teaching math. I'm a good English teacher, but don't enjoy it nearly as much.

21. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 23, 2013

I teach self contained special Ed this year so I'm teaching all the subjects but last year I discovered I've still got my high school chemistry knowledge and I'm also pretty good at math. Unfortunately now I don't get to use the chemistry or the upper level math because I'm teaching middle school but I can always tutor!

22. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Aug 23, 2013

I teach English but I've tutored in Math before. I'm better in Math than a lot of "English" people. I could teach Algebra 1 and Geometry 1... After that would be a stretch to teach, but I LOVED statistics. It was easily my favorite course in college.

23. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2013

I am fairly confident when it comes to Geography. In fact a couple of years ao a Geography teaching colleague stopped me as i walked past his classroom and asked me if I knew how an Ox Bow lake was formed. I said I did and he asked me if I would explain it to the 9th grade class he was teaching! I last came across this 40 years ago when I was at High School!

He gave the xcuse that he was an 'economic geographer' and not a physical geographer!

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

Isn't it just that a river changes course and leaves a lake behind? I mean, I could explain roughly what one is, without too many details, and I literally have never had a geography class in my entire education!

25. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 23, 2013

US History, especially The Civil War. One of the reasons I wanted to move to the South.

26. Aug 23, 2013

History, if I had to teach anything else, I'd sign up for world history as fast as possible, haha.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

Oil painting
    Nature/gardening
    Home ec stuff
    Some 'shop' stuff
    Middle school math
    Study skills
    I play a mean game of croquet and bocce
    :thumb:

I'm a bit of a Renaissance woman

28. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2013

I want to teach my older elem. kids bocce. Is that doable?
    I can teach elem math. pretty well.
    Play the piano by ear,
    Getting better at fixing things.
    Cooking is my creative outlet (along with the piano).

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

I wouldn't do more than four per bocce game...:thumb: totally doable!

30. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 23, 2013

English. I always enjoyed my English classes in HS and college. Actually, I was only a couple of classes away from being able to get it as my double major. I think I would enjoy teaching LA with a little training.

31. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

Can I be in your class? That sounds totally fun

32. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Aug 24, 2013

English, Math, Music, World Religions and basic Physics and Chem...though I'd have to look at the physics and chem again, it's been years.

Also if I could teach crocheting classes I'd be golden.