What is "alternative education"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Exclaimation Po, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 9, 2009

There's a job posting for a district near me. It's a social studies position in "alternative education". Does that mean kids who've been kicked out of regular school? Does this mean older learners?

I'm in California if that matters.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

If I saw that advertised in this district, it would mean kids who have been kicked out of regular school.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2009

I would think it would be mean an alternative school.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

My father in law works in an 'alternative school'. It's actually the juvenile hall. Kids are there 24 hours a day, and attend school during school hours. Some of them are taught in their cells, I think.

It's extremely challenging. Students are coming in and out all the time, so you can't have a year-long curriculum for the entire classroom. I believe his students are on individual plans. And many, many of them will be ESL. He loves it, though. He was a teacher, then the principal, and now he's part of the 'central office' staff, although he always wants to go back to the classroom. If you have a heart for it, it's great. But it's def. not a traditional classroom.

At least that's 'alternative education' in my head, because that's what he always calls it.

6. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

In Va, it means an alternative school where students can get a HS diploma from if the regular classroom isn't the right setting for them, Sometimes it is behavior problems. I've also know kids who weren't behavior problems go there like a teenage mother. generally they are more flexible with the hours like if you needed to work and only needed a few classes to graduate you could get out of school at 1PM. Lots of teachers find it very rewarding so don't count it out!

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 9, 2009

In my district, "alternative education" refers to the kids who have been kicked out of the regular school, normally for violence of some sort. They float in and out of regular school, but spend most of their time in ISS (In-School-Suspension), OSS (Out-of-School-Suspension) and AEP (Alternative Education Placement)

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2009

Where I am in California, alternative education means a different form of school for students who are not making it in the regular system. This includes continuation schools for kids thrown out of regular schools and independent study. In general the kids fell into three categories: kicked out of regular school for violence or some other discipline problem, truant too often, or credit deficient.

If you are concerned about problems with students in a continuation school, my experience is that they are no more of a problem than the kids at a regular school, for the most part. They know they are on their last leg, and most of them care about graduating. If they get bounced out of continuation school, they have big problems. There are some of course, who just don't get it.

Older learners would be going to adult education. In fact, some of my seniors this year dropped out when they turned 18 and went to adult education because they were behind on graduation credits and could earn them faster there.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 9, 2009

Alternative education has been kids who might have been kicked out for fighting, truancy, pregnancy, etc. Also here in NC I've seen those schools for kids that just can't deal with regular HS - not sure exactly what is different -maybe smaller classes, less students, less other stuff going on, that helps them out.

10. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 9, 2009

Thanks for your information everyone!

I'll go ahead and apply for the position.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

There are two kinds of alternative schools in my district. One is a behavior placement, and the other one (where I teach) is the "academic" alternative. Students have to apply to get into our program. It is designed for students who are at least 1 year behind in credit and need help to graduate on time (or at all).

I LOVE my school. Our whole campus only has 170 kids and 17 teachers. Everyone knows everyone. It's wonderful. We don't have any problems that you won't find on the other campuses. As a matter of fact, we have fewer problems. In 3 years, we've only had 1 fight, and it was minor.