What is age appropriate??

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by giraffe326, Jul 26, 2007.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

OK, I am a lower el person, so 5th grade is a new concept for me! I have subbed it, but that's about it!
    My question is: things like calenders, birthday charts, etc... Do you still use them in 5th grade or are they "too old" for all that stuff???

3. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I don't do like a daily calendar like primary grades, but I have one behind my desk with the whole month that's marked with days off and birthdays. I'll also mark when projects are due.

I also have a chart with all of their birthdays hung up and this year for their birthdays I'll give them a card and a pencil. They love stuff like that. I also thought about doing a tooth chart to track teeth lost because a lot of molars were lost last year in my class.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

I also have a big calendar that has when homework is due. I found they actually still like stickers on papers which I was surprised at. I give them a fun pencil on their birthday and they bring in treats.

I was also debated about the teeth poster. I was surprised how many lost teeth!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 2, 2007

I keep a calendar too. It's OK to get the fun ones as long as they aren't too juvenile. I have Garfield. I have seen some cute monkey ones, gooey gel (design). I don't do circle time or daily calendar group like the primary grades do. I do have a birthday chart with their names and birthdays listed, but don't have a full bb of birthday stuff. I give them a pencil and we all sing. Keep in mind that most 5th graders are still like younger kids in many ways; they like little prizes, stickers, maybe bookmarks, even smiley faces on their papers thrill them.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Oh, I wasn't thinking circle time. I just want a cute calendar and stuff. Where I sub, there is a 5th/6th building, which separates them further from the younger grades, and you never see a lot of el stuff. So, I was just trying to get direction for a K-5 school. And, I:love: cutesy stuff! They are probably all going to hate me :lol:

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I have a due date column on my white board. :) It's not a calendar, but the students can grasp the concept easily.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I have some cutesy stuff in my room, and the kids certainly don't hate it! My room is very colorful. :)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

I think you posted a picture of yor whiteboard. If it was you, could you please post that again???? :D I just want to get an idea for my board. :D

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

Well, I found out today that doing anything with a crayon theme is WAY too kiddy. I'm also trying to learn what's appropriate. I'm coming from kindergarten.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2007

I'd say animals, patriotic, colorful designs, colorful theme BB (for writing, science unit, etc). I try to stay away from the Suzy's Zoo and DJ Inkers (though I love DJ), anything with cutsey smiles, anything that looks like it would be good in a first or second grade room. If you have a child about 9 or 10 take them shopping with you. They'll clue you in rather quickly.