What is a typical day like in Middle School?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Pisces_Fish, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 16, 2009

How many classes do you have? How long are the blocks? How long is homeroom (and what are your responsibilities there?) Do you teach the same general subjects all day? What outside responsibilities do you have? How do you manage the kids? I'm so used to "elementary" management systems like pulling cards and smiley faces; I can't imagine how its done in MS. Is there detention? What are your outside responsibilities?

Sometimes I start to think MS might be a good fit for me (which shocks me still!!!) Do you think its weird if I contact one of the year-round schools nearby and ask to come in to observe once or twice this summer? I'm actually thinking it could help my classroom management since my 5th graders who have been retained are on a whole different planet :lol:

3. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 16, 2009

I teach HS but have subbed in MS..here is what I know..

How many classes do you have? It depends on if they go in block schedule or not. With block, you would more than likely have one block off, so 3 out of 4 blocks you would have class. Some MS go for 7 , 8 or 9 periods, I imagine you would have one of those off. Example: we have 7 periods, I have 6 classes.How long are the blocks?Blocks are typically two periods combined. Could be 45-55 min periods into one block How long is homeroom (and what are your responsibilities there?)Most homerooms, if the school has them, are no longer than 10-15minutes. Sometimes attendance is taken if it isn't in 1st, grade cards passed out, announcements made, 'housekeeping paperwork' etc. Do you teach the same general subjects all day?In MS you specialize in a certain area, science, english/la, soc. studies. you may teach different areas within that subject. For MS you would probably teach the same subject each class, maybe different grades. In HS is where you get into the college prep and electives more so, but I'm sure some MS could have that. What outside responsibilities do you have? could/may include: bus duty, dance chaperone, club advisor..etcHow do you manage the kids? I'm so used to "elementary" management systems like pulling cards and smiley faces; I can't imagine how its done in MS.yeah..don't do those! Write-ups, stay after, sentence writing, straight to the office... Is there detention? oh yesWhat are your outside responsibilities?answered a bit of that a few questions back.

Good Luck deciding, its a definite 'jump':)

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2009

Here are my answers to your questions:

How many classes do you have? 2.5 (I split a block with another teacher, so I teach five periods)
    How long are the blocks? 80 minutes
    How long is homeroom (and what are your responsibilities there?) 20 minutes every day; it is babysitting. I hate it.
    Do you teach the same general subjects all day? I teach LA every day.
    What outside responsibilities do you have? none, unless I volunteer for them. We get paid for duties, and right now I don't have time to take any on.
    How do you manage the kids? I'm so used to "elementary" management systems like pulling cards and smiley faces; I can't imagine how its done in MS. I have developed my own system over the years. I treat the kids the way I would like to be treated. We come up with class rules, and I am consistent in enforcing them. I rarely have discipline problems in my class. Reading Teaching with Love and Logic really helped me with that. I don't follow Jim Fay's advice to the T, but I have incorporated a lot of what he has to say.
    Is there detention? If I give a child detention, he serves it with me. Detentions for tardies or other large infractions are handled by the office.

Hope that helps!

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Apr 16, 2009

I swore I would never teach in middle school - til I ended up in one! Now I love it!

How many classes do you have?
    4, the most any middle school has in my county is 5

How long are the blocks?
    75 minutes. We see each class each day. (5 block schools have shorter blocks)

How long is homeroom (and what are your responsibilities there?)
    10 minutes, just long enough to go to lockers, take roll, and watch the morning announcements.

Do you teach the same general subjects all day?
    I teach SS all day. Now, each block is a bit different due to the different needs of the classes and their personalities, but its the same subject.

What outside responsibilities do you have?
    I'm team leader and department chair. Other than duty, nothing else unless I volunteer.

How do you manage the kids? I'm so used to "elementary" management systems like pulling cards and smiley faces; I can't imagine how its done in MS.

Our school uses a "three strikes" system school wide.
    Warning, Name on Board, Check by name = action plan (a la Harry Wong)

Three action plans = administrative referal

Unless the behavior is so severe it goes straight to a referral.

We carve a little time off of each class to take a recess after lunch, so "five minutes on the line" watching the other kids play is mighty useful as a re-focuser. :)

In my classroom, I try to go for logical consequences - you make a mess, you clean it up, but the formal plan is there for backup.

Is there detention?
    There isn't a formal lunch or afterschool detention. Students can receive in-school suspension or out of school suspension as consequences for administrative referalls.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 28, 2009

Bump.

Just got back from the MS with my 5th graders and my interest in this thread was revived :)

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 7, 2009

Middle school can be different school to school. The district I'm in now doesn't give planning periods. We teach 6 periods a day. We have block days two days a week plus an extra 45 minute class.

I teach 2 subjects (plus the 45 minute class), so I have my students for two periods in a row. Regular days our classes are between 40 something and 50 something minutes. Block day classes are 90 minutes.

I use index cards to call on students. I do a combo of Power Teaching and writing names on the board. I give my own lunch detention.

Some teachers have outside responsibilities, some don't. We have an adjunct duty list, but not many people actually do their job.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 7, 2009

You DON'T have a planning period at all??? :eek: :confused: WOW

9. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 7, 2009

Nope. No prep period. We're an "elementary" school district. There's only 2 middle schools, 2 k-8, and a whole slew of elementary schools. The elementary teachers throw a fit every time the union tries to bring up getting the middle school teachers a prep.

You can't really compare elementary and middle school. I have about 90 students. A friend of mine at the other middle school has 300 students. Elementary teachers have, what, 35 kids at the max? Yeah, they prep for all subject and I only have to prep for 3, but I'm planning for a heck of a lot more kids and what I'm teaching is far more sophisticated and complex than the elementary teachers. I need a planning period.

The first school district I worked in had a prep period. I had the best schedule ever. We had 6 periods. My first was 8th social studies. Then I had prep. Then I taught 2 periods of 8th language arts. Then I had lunch. Then I taught 2 periods of 7th language arts. Then the kids went home. I never taught the same thing twice, but my day was spaced out perfectly. I definately used my prep period. Almost every day I would go to the staff room and make copies. Much better than waiting in a line for the copier before and/or after school!

10. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 11, 2009

Wow...I was about to complain about the number of classes I teach (6 out of 8 to 150 kids) until I read about not having planning! I think I would die! Do they have specials like in elementary school? I gotta say...that blows!

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

I love MS - I think they are the most creative, fun, engaging kids! (Even though they can be in a hormone-induced bleary-eyed daze) For me, I still get to do the "fun" projects while being able to discuss literature on a deeper level with the kids