What is a "teacher binder"?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 5, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 5, 2013

I keep seeing "teacher binders" on Pinterest, TPT, etc. What exactly is a teacher binder? What exactly does in contain? Do any of you use one?

It looks like they contain lesson plans, schedules, calendars, etc. I have electronic copies of most of these things, so I guess I don't see the point...?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2013

If you don't keep print-outs of those, I can see their not being a point. I keep print-outs of all of those in my binder. I record my grades on their before entering them on-line. I do my lesson plans on paper, too. I like having everything in front of me and available to flip through--electronic doesn't work as well for me.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2013

I have a "Student Information" binder, in which I keep copies of all important student paperwork (parent questionnaires & contact info, behavioral referrals, SBLC (sped process) paperwork, permission slips, etc.), organized by student number. I keep a small (1/2") binder in which I have final copies of each quarter's grades, and I keep a weekly copy of the current quarter's grades (our online grading system is still new, so we're all a little skittish). Finally, I have a binder for Benchmark Assessments (DIBELS and AIMSweb), in which I keep all benchmark and progress monitoring paperwork/results. The school issues a binder for printed copies of my lesson plans, but for personal use, I reference the one on my computer.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2013

I have binders on all my units. This is new as I never did it in the past but started this past school year. Instead of keeping files for originals, I created binders. I even have two binders with originals for my math centers.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 5, 2013

I do the same thing, pretty much. I use binders for everything! I just don't have a specific "teacher binder."

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2013

One benefit of having a "teacher binder" (i.e., one big binder that includes whatever information you deem important) is that you can grab it and take it with you in case of emergency. I keep such a binder near my desk and I take it with me whenever we have emergency drills or evacuations. For me, there is no need to keep things like copies of schedules or whatnot, but I do like to keep rosters, parent contact information, etc. I figure that if the school were on fire or something, I could use the information in my binder to account for all my students and get ahold of all their parents if I needed to.

Incidentally, I do keep a "sub binder" with things like schedules, rosters, classroom rules, health alerts, etc. If I'm feeling iffy at the end of the day, I always leave it on my desk for a sub just in case.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2013

I keep a teacher binder and an assessment binder. My teacher binder keeps everything that I would like to have handy at meetings and such. I keep all my current lessons plans in there (I like to have a print copy). I also keep a school calendar (nice to have access to in meetings and conferences), teacher's room numbers and extensions, a map of the school, student contact forms, notes from meetings, and anything else that we get print copies of that we need to keep for some time.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2013

I have a binder for everything!

But my teacher binder is really more of a plan book. I have sections for attendance, seating charts, final grade printouts, lesson plan printouts, standards, unit plans, data tracking, etc. I have a separate sub binder with relevant info plus emergency plans.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2013

I use it for everything school-related. I like having it all in one location.

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 5, 2013

Mine has

-student emergency forms
    -copy of daily schedule
    -yearly curriculum map
    -copies of class lists, etc.
    -a tab called "for next year" where I make notes of things to change or that I will need for next year
    -a set of emergency sub plans
    -faculty meeting notes
    -any paperwork that I need to keep handy