What is a tactful way to say.....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Jul 24, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I've got an interview later this morning for an instructional assistant position.

I love this district...they mean a LOT to me. This is the great district I student taught in. They are the district- despite all of the BAD NEWS that HAS been giving me interviews (it's a HUGE district..so to say I've had 4 interviews with them is understandable). I am on their Preferred Hire List...and the principals call off that list.

Anyway...not going to go on and on about it. Let's just say, I will NOT burn my bridges behind me with THIS district...but I want to be/have to be realistic! (This job pays $15,500...starting salaries -1st years- are at least 34,000. I am the only breadwinner in the home.)

And an instructional assistant position in July is better than nothing (welcome insurance)...but their are still fish to be caught and it's too early to pack up and head to shore.

How can I TACTFULLY tell them..YES, I want the job. But I MUST also keep looking (even if hired).

IS there a tactful way? SHOULD I say it at all?

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

I have a funny feeling people won't agree with me. I don't think you have to tell them you are going to keep looking. I would tell them after you have accepted another offer within the district. You don't really have to worry about burning bridges if you have accepted a teaching job in the same district. Sure, that aide school may never want you, but you are in as a teacher.

If the school year starts and you are the aide and then get an offer, that would seem like it is a 'district' issue and the two P's would need to talk to each other.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I tend to agree. Principals want to know that the people they hire are not only dedicated to the position but are also loyal. I think if you go in there and let them know you're still shopping around for better offers (essentially, that's what it is) they may worry that they'll have to find a replacement or the next best candidate in a short time anyway so why not just skip the middleman.

I know that sometimes we want the schools to make our decisions for us and want them to bargain with us like appliance stores (well, store X says they'll throw in free delivery) but you can't afford to do that in such a saturated job market. Sometimes it's just a matter of accepting or turning down a position and not allowing yourself to think about the what-ifs and regrets.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2009

McK - I hear you. I think that I would let them know upfront that you really want to work at their school in their district. I would tell them you understand times are hard and that they have been especially hard for you coming from a single income situation. Let them know that you would however love to work for them under any circumstances and would be willing to take the pay cut and try to make things work just be in that district. But, then, I would also say that if someone were to call you for a teaching position making more money, you would be remiss not to go and talk with them. This would be based solely on the financial straits that you are under at this time.

I think that since you do have such a fantastic rapport with the district, they will be appreciative of your honesty and you will not burn any bridges. I think that I might WAIT to tell them all this after they offer me a position. Let them know that while you do not anticipate being called in the future for any other positions, that it is just a possibility that you wanted to bring to their attention. But do wait until you have the offer in hand. Otherwise they won't be calling you for instructional assistant jobs.

I also feel that it would be perfectly acceptable to keep looking and let them know IF you are offered something else. I know that is a tough decision and you just need to listen to your heart to help you make the right decision. ALL THE BEST!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

McKenna~I was upfront about being under contract in another district with the P I interviewed with yesterday. He was very happy that I was honest and upfront with him. He knows that I am a certified teacher and that I want to work in the district as a teacher. So the interview wasn't for the position I orginially applied for, but the instructional aide position because this position opens up for a teaching position better than the life skills aide position.

I would be honest with them in the interview. Just let them know that you look forward to working with them; however, you are a certified teacher and will love to be a teacher.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

could you continue to interview in that district if you accept a job????
    I don't know - I'd ask.

lemonhead, I tend to agree with you. I just dont think its a good idea to let them know you will continue to look. Do IA have same kind of contract --- that states you have to give 45 days notice before school starts?

MKenna, I definitely understand your predictament. Even if you do have to tough it out another year as an IA, that is good experience.

But good luck in finding THE job

8. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 24, 2009

I have worked as an IA in different state than my tching experience. They hired me partly because I was an experienced teacher. They usually like to hire kids right out of college as IAs, too. My advice is to do everything you can to convince them how much you're looking forward to working with the kids in their school and how grateful you would be for the experience. IA work is considered experience by principals, I found out, even though you're not in a contract job. It's still experience working with children and other teachers.

So, don't even bring up that you'll continue to try to get a regular tching job. They would have to be seriously ill to even think that an IA job is your ultimate goal :) I would focus on getting the IA job. When you do see something else that you want to interview for, just tell them in advance you'll be taking a personal day. Don't let them intimidate you. I even told the tchr I worked for one time that I would take a half day because I had an interview, although that was really unnecessary, and I wouldn't tell her anything if I had to do it over. It's really none of their business why you take a personal day.

We act as our own best advocate, I always say :)

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

My gut is to tell them the truth. Explain that you LOVE the district and truly want to work there, however, you are the breadwinner in your family and that has to be your first priority.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

I have to agree with those who say to accept and then keep looking. You owe it to yourself and your family to provide to the best of your ability. In more stable financial times, I would probably not suggest this way, though.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2009

In my district, once you accept a job, you can't apply for any more jobs. Doesn't mean you can't apply in the neighboring districts, though.

12. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

I wouldn't worry about burning any bridges if the principal knows that your ultimate goal is to get a teaching position. I landed a long-term sub job in my school district, but the principal even told me that I should keep on looking for full-year jobs and she will completely understand if I have to back out of the position. Good luck!

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Ok...the interview is over.

thank you to all who responded...I don't know the results as of YET.

If I were asked for a final statement I might have said my ultimate goal is to move into the position of being a self-contained classroom teacher...but there was no final statement asked for.

PLUS...considering I was nervouse because of the candidate before me, and the one afterwards (it was an assembly line) I figured to give THEM a ultimative statement..no matter how gently phrased would be an immediate slashing of my chances.

so... I wait.

14. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 24, 2009

I hope you hear something soon McKenna! I agree that I wouldn't have said anything. I would just keep looking and if you land something then you deal with it at that time. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!