What is a student teacher exactly?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by newtothis2006, Jul 31, 2006.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Hi all, I was wondering exactly what a student teacher is. I have heard the terms teachers aid, teachers assistant and student teacher. What is the difference? Are student teachers unpaid and do they work under a classroom teacher? I have seen teachers aide jobs listed as paid jobs (very low pay) under a paraprofessional title. But, I haven't seen any student teacher jobs listed. I'm just confused on the different job titles and roles. Can someone clear this up for me? :confused:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 31, 2006

Paraprofessionals and Teacher Aides/Assistants all assist the regular classroom teachers by working with small groups (or sometimes being assigned to one student only) and doing other things around the classroom. They may also teach lessons to the entire class at different times to help out the regular teacher.
    Student teachers are usually college students (in some places it is done after a person graduates) who are placed in an assignment by their school to basically get more practice teaching. Different colleges run their programs different ways, but many times it is a semester-long assignment where the person is in another teacher's classroom all day Mon-Fri and earning college credits, but not being paid.

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

A student teacher is a person who is in their last semester of college. Their last semester is spent in the classroom actually teaching. The classroom teacher is also there to mentor and guide the student. The student teacher starts of only teaching one or two lessons and then they build. By mid semester they are teaching every lesson all day and the classroom teacher just hangs around to help aid and answer questions. Then the student teacher starts to taper the lessons off by the end they aren't teaching any lessons. They they graduate with their license. Hope this help. Some colleges may do it diffrently, like student teaching could be for a year instead of a semester or they may teach for the whole semester. This is what my college did. :)

5. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Well I have actually already graduated college. I am starting an ACP soon. I want to get some experience in a classroom but under supervision from the main teacher. My ACP has an intern program where they place you with a school for 14 weeks but you have to finish the entire course work and testing first. I want to start NOW with some type of classroom teaching and not wait. Will districts hire you directly to student teach without being placed by a college or ACP? If not, what alternatives do I have to start NOW? Could I get hired as a teachers aid? I'm so new to this...thanks.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 31, 2006

You wouldn't necessarily be "hired" as a student teacher, but you could go and speak to principals about possibly volunteering in classrooms.
    You most likely could be hired as an aide or you could work as a substitute teacher if they do not require that you be a licensed teacher in order to sub in your area.

7. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

you can not be hired or placed into student teaching unless you are enrolled in college and its part of the course work. Student teaching actually gives you the last bit of credits.

Now with the county I work in, as long as you have your license you can apply to be a teacher. Once you are hired your are assigned a mentor that helps you through your first three years. This is close to being a student teacher but you dont have someone in your room all day.

What is ACP? Did you graduate with a teaching degree? If you went to school for teaching, did you not have to complete student teaching?

If you want classroom experience with someone there a teachers aid would be great. In my county to be a teachers aid all you have to have is a good background check and a two year degree of some kind. So if that is something you are interested in I would def. look into it. You could also be a sub for a little while to get a hang of it and then apply for a job.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 31, 2006

Being a student teacher is part of your schooling. You would not get a job as a student teacher. This makes me think of a time when I was student teaching and my master teacher was gone for the day. There had to be a sub in the room, even though I did all the teaching. My students didn't really understand that, and one of them asked if we would have a substitute student teacher if I had to miss a day. Doesn't work like that! :)

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 31, 2006

ACP is an alternative certification program I believe.

10. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

ACP is Alternantive Certification Program. I did not graduate with an Education degree, I have a Business degree. So, I have never worked with students before. In my area, they will hire you as a sub or a prof teacher with just accpetance into the cert program. But, I don't really want to sub b/c I don't know the first thing about being in front of a class. I really want to work under a teacher and learn the ropes before I venture off with my own class. I have looked at districts postings for Teachers Aid jobs and there are only spec ed ones. That is not going to be my cert area. So, thats why I was wondering if I could volunteer teach/student teach. Maybe it's differnet based upon location? I don't know. Is there anyone from Texas who has had experience with this? Thanks everyone for the feedback!

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2006

To complicate matters a bit...

I am a student teacher. I was observing for the past two weeks. On Friday, I subbed for the master teacher who took most of the class on a field trip. But I have a substitute permit, too.

12. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jul 31, 2006

I don't plan on going for special education certification later, but that isn't stopping me from taking this special education Teacher's Aide position now. I want to learn what teacher's do, how they do it, and why they do. It doesn't matter of you're a special education TA or not, you're still elarning and gaining vaulable experience regardless.

By the way, it seems like special education and ESL TA's are what's needed most right now. Like my om used to tell me bfore I landed this job, "Beggers can't be choosey." You've got to get your start somewhere and somewhere is better than nowhere. Would you not agree?

13. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Thank you Elizabeth. That is a great point. I guess I just thought that if I were to become a teachers aid for special education then that would be all a shcool would think I am capable of teaching. But, like you said, you have got to get your experience somewhere. They shouldn't keep you from teaching something else because you want to get your foot in the door. I have seen many nearby districits with open Sp Ed TA jobs. I am going to work on my resume and give it a shot. Thanks

14. Suburban Gal

Jul 31, 2006

Yes. They shouldn't! ;) Apply to everything and go on as many interviews as you can because it'll help improve you're interview skills. By the time I interviewed for this job I was soooo relaxed and in such positive thoughts that I believe it's what got me the job. And I have no doubt it can work for you in much the same way.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2006

Dont ever think that you will never be a spec ed teacher. WHen I started going to college I wanted to be a kinder teacher. Then I spent time in Kinder and realized that kinder wasnt for me. So I decided that 4th grade was for me. Then I began subbing at a great middle school, so I added middle to my certification. Now because of the very tight job market here in our district I took a position as a special ed teacher. I now have to take my spec ed cert test. I have spent sometime in the spec ed classes subbing but not much. As for subbing that is great experience, especially if you can sub at all levels. It will give you an idea of what to expect from kids. I learned a great deal from my 6 years of subbing. The other teachers will be glad to help you out. If you sub as an aid yes you will "under" a teacher but most of the time after you learn the ropes the teacher lets you do you want to do. As a sub you see so much from many different teachers. In my opinion as a sub you will see the good the bad and the ugly side of teaching. I wouldnt not trade my days as a sub for anything.

16. Suburban Gal

Jul 31, 2006

I totally agre with you!

I thoroughly enjoyed subbing and, in mnay ways, will hate to give it up. I got my letters asking me to re-new myself on subs lists and one district really surprised me. They didn't call me at all last year and the letter opens with, "Your previous experiences with our students and staff of our District indicate that you are a teacher we would like to retain on our list" so you can imagine how difficult it will be for me to say no, remove me.

In any case, yes there are Substitute Teacher Aide positions out there, which would also be worth looking into newtothis2006. (I subbed for one TA during my 2 years if subbing. It was, by far, inetresting.) But, if you really don't want to be on call not knwoing when the next call will come in or if you'll even be called that year then go with a special education or ESL TA if you can land that.

17. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jul 31, 2006

If you are going through an AC program in Texas, you either find a job (internship) with pay or student teach.

You will either be fully certified after the 1 year long intership (where you are the teacher) or after the student teaching.

Depending on where you are located and what you are going to be certified in, you may or may not have a problem getting hired as an AC teacher. If you want to student teach, contact your AC program soon and ask what you need to do to get set up for that. Good luck!