What is a Heart Map?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by justfine, Sep 9, 2006.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

A friend of mine told me that she use a heart map to list ideas for writing. What does it look like? Can anyone share an example?

Thanks

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 9, 2006

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2006

This sounds like an interesting idea...I may use it with my grade 7 and 8 LD kids next week.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2006

I just did my "Map of My Heart" lesson on Thursday and it went very well. I teach 2nd grade and I introduced the map of my heart to the kids by doing it in front of them as demonstration. What it is is just a heart on a piece of paper. The heart is divided up into different sections. In each section, the children are to write things that they care about or things that are dear to their hearts that they can potentionally want to write about. How I introduced it was that I began my discussion like, "sometimes, writers write about things that they care about. They write about things that are mean alot to them and things that are close to their hearts." Then I gave them an example of how I am a writer and I like to write about things that I care about. I showed them a large "map of my heart" on chart paper that was not filled in yet. I told the children that this was the map of my heart and I am going to think of some things that I care about that I may want to write about. So, I brainstormed ideas right in front of them as a model and began writing things in each section like my daughters, my family, music, dancing, my favorite food spaghetti, my pets etc. etc. And as I filled in ideas, I thought about them out loud so that I was sure the children knew how to do it when I sent them back to their seats to fill out theirs.
    That's basically how my lesson went and I assisted them when they needed my help. I explained to them that their hearts shouldn't look like mine because these are things that I care about and they should have things that they care about.
    After everyone completed theirs, I had them glue their hearts inside the cover of their writing folders so that if they ever needed ideas of what to write about, they could look at their hearts.
    Hope this helps.:)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2006