What is a "Clicker" for test??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lindager, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 10, 2011

I am in SC with my 2 nieces who were just telling us they use a "clicker" in school that has A-E on it to take test. This is not with a computer, can someone please explain this to me. My sister and I are totally stumped.

I also wanted to ask about getting test signed. In the schools I sub in kids have to get all test signed, my sister never sees a test. Which is the norm out there. If parents do not sign test how do they know how their child is doing?

Thank you for any insights. I guess I have a very limited sample of the way things are done.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

We use a clicker...it goes with our Smartboard. The test is displayed on the smartboard and students use the clicker to login and answer each question. Then the teacher and student get immediate feedback.

I don't require tests signed. Instead I send them home on Fridays. I also input them into my online grade book and expect parents to log in and check. I then also send home progress reports every 3-4 weeks (depending on breaks and such) and missing work reports at least 2 times a week.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

It is an instant grader. The teacher will ask multi choose questions. Every child has a clicker with a, b, c, d, e on it. They click the correct answer. When everyone answers, the teacher goes to the next question. The machine records the grades and gives the teacher instant results. Since most teachers who use this don't have individual tests, that might be why your sister doesn't see the test.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

6. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jan 10, 2011

Ditto on what others said as to "what a clicker is". But as for grading, I don't use them on graded assessments because the clickers we have are crummy (signal doesn't always work right, so kids get answers wrong through lost signals). Instead, I use them every day as a review exercise. I create about 10 multiple choice or matching questions, and we use the clickers to review. It's great for that, and the kids seem to get a kick out of it.

7. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jan 10, 2011

You don't have to have a SMART Board to use a clicker. Really they just run through a program on your computer. You plug a receiver into your computer making it possible for the "clicker" (kind of a hand held remote) and your computer to talk to one another.

I use the Classroom Performance System (CPS) from eInstruction. We have 2 types of clickers in our school. One set allows for only multiple choice answers to be given. The other 4 sets we have allow for number answers to be input (Awesome for math class!)

I can give tests/reviews in two different formats.
    1.) Teacher Led Mode. You project a question on the board. Each student plugs their answer into their clicker. As the teacher you can wait until each student answers. A light is displayed at the bottom of the screen showing the number of the users who have answered. Once all students have answered, you can show the results of the question or just move on. This is a great way to review!

2.) Student Led Mode. Each student has a copy of the test/review. Students plug their answers into the clicker and move at their own pace. On the teacher computer, a screen is visible that shows exactly what answers each student is putting in as they go. You can monitor how students are doing and go help students who may need some help getting on the right track.

Pros: Any answers put into the clicker is instantly graded. There are many reports you can run to look at validity of questions, student answers, etc. Students love the clickers so even unmotivated students love to participate.

Cons: The initial set up takes a bit of time, but they can be used year after year!

I love clickers and use them at least twice a week. Often students will walk in, grab a clicker and take a 5 question quiz at their desk while I take attendance. It gets them on task immediately and helps me know what I need to review from the day before!

8. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 10, 2011

Wow Thank you all for the information. I can not wait to get back to NJ and talk to the teachers there about why we don't use this. It seems like a great way to cut down on paper and gradeing time.

I LOVE this forum I have learned so much already. I will be here in SC at least another week with my Mom. I just hope my schools will still remember to call me for subbing once I get home. I don't think I have much of a chance to get a LTS job this year, but I miss being with a class.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 11, 2011

I've had my clickers for about 5 years. I love them! Mine started wearing out last year, and I really missed them. I got new ones this year. Mine are from Turning Points. I use them with and without my SmartBoard.

10. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jan 11, 2011

I just got Turning Point clickers last month. Love them!

11. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jan 12, 2011

I LOVE clickers! We use Senteo Smart Response clickers.

We have 2 sets for the school (one really as another teacher hoards them in her room without ever using them). I try to use these at least twice a week but know I would use them more if we had another set.

I use these for formative assessments each week in reading (more of state test prep really). I also have students use these to participate in our math lessons. Rather than have one student working on the board and the rest of the class fooling around (lets be honest, it happens even in the best classrooms), I can have that one student working and the rest of the class can put their answer in as well. This way they can see the process and verify their answer.

There are a few teachers at my school that use them for our short cycle tests but I'm reluctant. I have some students score better with the clickers than paper and pencil while some go too quickly or they'll accidently submit their answers before they are finished. I like to model our short cycles after what the kids will be expected to do on the state test.

Otherwise, I love, love, love the clickers. I even use them for polling. For instance if the class is voting on a class reward, I can type the choices up on the SmartBoard next to a letter and the kids can vote for their choice. Then we can look at anonymous polling data!

12. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jan 12, 2011

@ newbie -- How long does it take you to type in all the info? We have this system and it takes me at least an hour of prep time, maybe more. I just don't have that kind of extra time. The students really enjoy it when I can type in a slide show with all the multiple choice answers. Thanks for the advice.

13. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jan 13, 2011

You're right, it can take a bit of time to type it in. I try to think of it as an investment (pay a little now, get to use it for multiple classes/years).

Conversely, you can use this for multiple choice activities that are already typed up or printed out. Like someone else said, the SmartNotebook is just a way to display your questions. For instance, my students have grammar quizzes in a workbook. I don't need to retype all of that information into the SmartBoard software. Instead, I just make multiple choice questions and mark correct letters for the answers (don't type the question or answers). Then, students can look at their books and answer using the clickers. It grades it for them and we can still go over the answers because everyone has the same info to look at.

You can also copy and paste from an existing digital source. For instance, portions of our state tests are released online. Using the capture tool, I can capture individual questions, insert these on a page (over the question) and indicate the correct answer with the software. Then, I don't have to type out the questions or try to reproduce diagrams.

If you need more info or are confused (I can sometimes be confusing when I type out info) just let me know!

14. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jan 14, 2011

Thank you newbie! Yes, I understood your explanations and it was helpful. Have a good Friday!

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 14, 2011

I've had my e-instruction set for 7 years now. We just received the SMART receivers this year for our Science Lab SMART board.

Something new I am doing this year is our Word Study tests on e-instruction. It gives the boys an opportunity to see the words in the format that they will see in April.

I also use for attendance, short quizzes in any subject, and voting.

16. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 14, 2011

I use "clickers" all the time in my classroom, although they are called remotes for me. I use Qwizdom remotes and software. I can instruct using the program (interfaces with PowerPoint) and build in check for understanding type questions, I give weekly vocab quizzes using the remotes, and I review using the remotes. The absolute best part of the Qwizdom software is all the built in games. I have to type in the questions and answers (creating a 30 problem MC assessment takes about 45 minutes), or I could use theirs, and then to review and learn material for tests, we play games. There are two racing games, a Jeopardy type game, and Baseball. The kids all answer the questions, then depending on what type of game it is, the winner for that round is either a team or an individual. The kids absolutely LOVE playing the games and what is so wonderful about it, is that they learn the material without struggling. Even my resource kids and my "lazy" kids love to play and really get involved in the game and learning. Also, my teacher remote shows me the answers that the class has chosen. During a review if a majority of the class chose a wrong answer, I can address the whole class at once and discuss why that answer wasn't correct. I've been using Qwizdom now for about 5 years and my state test scores have improved 95 points - so I would absolutely say that using remotes is effective.

I don't use the remotes for Benchmark assessments, although I could (our district uses another program for that). There is a built in feature that allows the kid to have a paper test in front of them, and enter their answers using the remote. They can go at their own speed, see their answers on the screen, change answers, and go back to previous questions. I do use remotes on vocab quizzes and we do it as a class. My quizzes are weekly over the same list of terms until I'm done teaching that standard. I want them to flat know the definitions without guessing and being able to go back in the test. The remotes really help that process (average class vocab quiz scores are about 95%).

So, "clickers" are truely a wonderful addition to the classroom - I would be lost without mine and am so thankful to have them.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2011

18. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 14, 2011

I love using clickers in class too. I have the SMART Response System and this is my first year using it. It does take a while to make the tests. The kids like to see who answered first and what percentage of the class got each question right. Technology is wonderful, when it works.

19. technoteacher

technoteacher New Member

Jan 15, 2011

I find that once you set up a template for your quizzes it really doesn't take long to go in and just change the answers and the questions. That was the quickest way I found to do it.

20. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jan 16, 2011

Yes, that's a great idea, too. Thanks!