What Interests Students

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ross, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

Walking into the classroom this morning, the students seemed exceedingly tired and disinterested.

So to get conversation going, I asked the class if they heard the news that the hijacker had been captured. No response. "You know, the airliner that was hijacked." No response. "The airliner hijacked in Jamaica." Still no recognition that I was speaking.

I changed tactics.

"Did you hear in the news this morning that the Cartoon Network is going to stop broadcasting at the end of the month?"

This resulted in many heads immediately looking up in inquiry.

This was 8th grade.

p.s.
    I made up the Cartoon Network story.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 21, 2009

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

That's a GREAT one! :thumb:

One time a second grade teacher wanted the students to write about a "life experience" that they'd had. She wanted me to give them an example by telling about a personal life experience of mine.

So, I told them how, when I was their age, I lived on a farm that was (is!) on a gravel road. In the spring, the roads were nearly impassible because of the ice/snow melting. Different farmers would take turns collecting all of the school children on the road - in a wagon pulled by a tractor. Then we would go to a country church that was on a paved road, where the school bus was waiting for us.

The kids just loved that story!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 21, 2009

Thank you for that PS! You freaked me out there for a second, mostly because I'd have to deal with a seriously depressed husband.

It's tough getting some students (I want to say most but won't) to pay attention to current events. I go into most classes assuming they haven't checked and that I'm their primary source. Sometimes I'll luck out and have one kid who watched The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. They at least have an inkling.

5. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Apr 22, 2009

The Adult Swim block on Cartoon Network has got some pretty great stuff on it. I'd be bummed if they went down.

Most classes ask if I am ex-military, and want to know what I did, am I crazy now, and did I kill anybody. ("yes, tactical nukes, depends, no")

I use this as a teachable moment to talk about PTSD, soldiers returning from war. If they are still with me I sneak in a reference to Tacitus' Agricola and how battleshocked warriors were handled.

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 23, 2009

That's hilarious fratermus!:thumb:

What I do is ask the kids what their interests are, and I relate to them by saying I watch that show too, or I like eating that particular food that they like.

Etc...

Then I tell them to go back to work.:)

7. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 23, 2009

Just out of curiosity, what leads your students to ask if you are ex-military?

I think that's wonderful you tell them about PTSD. If I were you I would also mention it could be a result of any sort of trauma, not just battle exposure.

8. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Apr 24, 2009

I think it is because my hair is buzzed (#2) this year and because I attempt to self-discipline, preparation, organization, and appropriate relations with those in lesser power than oneself.

I do flesh it out when the teachable moment permits.