What incentives do you use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 15, 2006.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

What kind of incentives do you use in your classroom? Currently I have a whole group incentive and an individual incentive. How do you keep track of your individual incentives? I have used the sticker charts that you can put on their desks but they always end up looking bad. I even tried contact paper and that didn't work. I need to find a way to display it or keep track of it differently. I want something that is easy for me to manage. Any and all ideas are appreciated!:)

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 16, 2006

Planners, AR, Spelling

Put the individual sticker charts on a BB OR on the front panel of your desk.

100% on spelling test they earn a big sticker on their test paper.

If they bring back their planner signed by a parent, they earn a small sticker on their sticker chart. When the chart is full they earn a gumball from the gumball machine.

AR READING
    .5 = AR Reading certificate at the end of school
    10 = bookmark. I have one kind that I make a big deal about making it specail.
    15 = pencil
    20 = gumball from the gumball machine
    25 = Earn something from the treasure box. Some ten cent or cheaper stuff from the Dollar Store. Pencil eraser for the top of a pencil,
    30= Sit in the author's chair or rocking chair. Get an old chair cheap at the thrift shop or garage sale. Paint it and add a stencil design.
    35 = Buddy reading. One reads a page, the buddy reads a page and etc. They both take a test and help each other. First one to reach 55 gets to pick a buddy, if were a buddy once you can't be picked again until everyone in the room has been a buddy.
    35 = Earns a piece of candy from the candy jar. Candy Kiss or something simple that is individually wrapped. Get a mixed bag at Halloween time at the Dollar store cheap
    40 = Earns a packet of juice
    45 = Let the student read and record a short book for you to listen to.
    50 = Listen to a book on tape and take AR test. Read and record some books at different levels this summer for this award.
    55= 60 = Earns a stick of licorice for each student in the class. Everyone is required to say thank you and tell the person "Good Job" or something nice. Get the licorice at the Dollar Store.

4. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

My students earn points (up to 5 a day) and I keep a running tally of their daily totals on an incentive chart. It's one of my classroom jobs. I give my daily sheet to two students and they add the number of points the student earned that day to the points they've already earned, and write down the new total. I also have both totals on my clipboard. I use two students because they are both responsible for making sure that the totals are correct. The points can be used to buy items from the classroom store, free homework passes, extra computer time, etc. For my class incentive, I use a marbles in a jar system, except it's just a posterboard jar that has been cut-out and laminated and I simply add or subtract marbles with a visa-vis marker. It's posted on my management board along with the incentive chart.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

Individual incentives
    I use the individual sticker charts when I'm monitoring during independent work. I put them inside a laminated file folder so they are out of sight (no parent comments about why does Johnny have 12 and Mary only has 6) and they stay neater as well. I just ask the kids to get out their sticker folder when I'm coming around to stamp the charts. On the other side of the folder is another sticker chart to keep track of their ar points.

I use the large incentive charts for perfect attendance all week (parents can't say a thing about that one!), and keep the poster up all year. It takes two charts for the whole school year. The perfect attendance stickers and the individual stickers are "cashed in" for class money to use at the class auction.

Small Group Incentives
    I do table or group points also. These are kept on the white board. I have the table or group captain go add a point when necessary so I don't have to constantly walk back up to the front of the room. The group in the lead gets to line up first. At the end of two weeks, the group with the highest number gets to pick a piece of kid-junk from my prize box.

Whole Group Incentives
    I have a compliment puzzle that the class works together to earn. I put magnetic tape on the back of a 20 piece puzzle. Each time the class gets a compliment for walking quietly in the hall by another adult, they earn two puzzle pieces. Any compliment from another adult is two pieces of the puzzle. If everyone is present that day, the class earns one puzzle piece. If no one has had a behavior mark, they earn a puzzle piece as well. When the puzzle is completed, the kids get to vote on their reward.

6. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

Teacher in Texas, those are FABULOUS ideas! I especially like the one about the puzzle peices. You are a very creative teacher. Which grade do you teach?

Keep these coming, I'm really enjoying reading all these awesome ideas.

Chenelle

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Teacherintexas, I like the perfect attendance idea. Do you ever have a problem with kids wanting to come to school sick so that they can earn a sticker? Or kids being very upset when they are sick? Those would be my only concerns.

8. breneem

breneem Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Lunch with a friend!!! It is the most FREE prize ever! The kids go crazy for these. They have to sit with their class only, and we have 5th grade on one side, 4th on the other. The lunch with a friend passes (just make copies) are valid during lunch to sit with any friend, or bring one to your table...So free, and really love them! :)

9. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Incentives

Lunch in the classroom, shoes off in the classroom all day, bring an item for show and tell, sit in the teacher's chair, choose a buddy to sit with all day, bring in a fuzzy friend from home, drink a soda at your desk, get to be a helper everyday the next week

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2006

teacherintexas - I also like your ideas! Is the compliment puzzle just a regular puzzle or something special?

11. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

My assistant principal gave me a small group incentive idea in the middle of a year from hell that works so well.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it. To prepare it, you take cardstock and make horizontal lines so you have 6 rectangles going up the paper. Then, put the group name at the top and the other 5 are numbered 1-5. Laminate. Add one clothespin to the horizontal rectangle with the name.

Every time you have them transition, the first group completely ready, attentive, and quiet gets their clothespin moved to the next number. When that group reaches 5, everyone at the table receives a treat (sour punch straws, gummy bears, starburst, etc.)

The kids love it and they get the other kids to do it too.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2006

This year I am going to use an incentive "punch card" of sorts. Each student will have an library pocket he/she will decorate. Start each week with 5 green popsicle sticks. If there is misbehavior, it'll be reminder, then warning, then he/she will have to pull a green stick. For however many sticks are left on Friday, I will hole punch that many in his/her punch card. Once the card is all punched, he/she will be able to dig from the treasure chest.

13. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

These are all good ideas. With the new restrictions on the FMNV list, I find myself struggling for treat ideas. Starbursts....are those okay to give out?

For a whole class incentive, I usually start a paper chain from the ceiling and they earn links for random things and compliments. When they reach a certain point, they get to vote on a reward. (popcorn party, reading afternoon, etc..)

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

I've had parents tell me their kids didn't want to miss school, but I've never had a kid come in upset after an absence. Plus, the sticker is given for a whole week of perfect attendance, not a daily thing, so it's probably not the first thing they think of when they think about missing school. I like that they don't want to miss school, but I wouldn't think a tiny incentive sticker would be the reason.

I give out perfect attendance certificates for the six weeks, and also almost perfect attendance certificates if they only missed one or so. The year the stomach virus hit over 80% of the campus is when I added the almost perfect certificate.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

I teach second grade.

I forgot about another incentive. I pick four names on Friday morning and those kids get to eat lunch in the classroom. The kids with behavior problems that week are not included in the drawing. If a kid finally is on green all week (you know the kind of kid I'm talking about!), I "rig" the drawing so that kid is included.

One of the first grade students told his mom he wanted to be in my class because sometimes kids get to eat in the classroom. Who knew that would be such an incentive? :D

I don't do this one anymore because I forgot about it, but I used to make a die-cut shape for each student that they kept in their project folder at their desks. When I passed out graded papers, they would count how many stickers they had on their papers, and write the number on a sticky note. How ever many stickers they had on their papers correlated to how many hole punches they got on their die-cut. When they reached twenty hole punches, they picked out something from the prize box, and got another die-cut.

I used counting stickers instead of counting A's because for my SE students, I would put stickers if they passed the assignment with their modifications, and I would put stickers on my slow learners' papers if I thought they did a good job. There are some kids who just can't make a stack of A's each week and I hate to not reward them for their efforts as well.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

The one I have up now is a SpongeBob puzzle. I used a Garfield puzzle before but couldn't find all the pieces so I had to find a new one.

18. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Whole Group Incentive

This incentive is similar to TeacherinTexas. I have two, small rubbermaid containers and one container is full of unpopped popcorn. For every compliment in the hall or for a good report from related arts, they get a scoop of popcorn. If it is a compliment from a sub or an administrator, they get two scoops. Also, if no one has pulled a card for the day, they get a scoop. When the other bowl is full, we have a popcorn party. I think I'm gonna incorporate the attendence like Texas does. Our school has attendence drives and this might help my class. Thanks for the idea!:)

19. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Great ideas!! I like the idea of having a sticker folder where the parents can't see who has what.
    Teacherintexas,
    How many sticker charts do you put on the folder? I was thinking you could have a few and then you wouldn't have to replace it that often.

I also like the hole punch idea. Since I do a pull a card system I was thinking that they could store this behind their other cards and it wouldn't be visible but it would still stay nice and neat.

20. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

These ideas have been great, I am going into my second year teaching 6th grade and some of these will be great to implement. What do you do when you have a kid who doesn't care about prizes of any kind, the child won't change their ways even with preasure from other kids?
    thanks
    justine

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 16, 2006

I have marbles in a jar for whole class incentives. :) When they get 100 for compliments from me or others, they get a celebration of sorts.

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

This was a whole-class incentive I used when I was student teaching... I didn't use it every day, only for times when they'd been REALLY rowdy, or when I really needed them to behave extra well (like when I was getting observed)...

2-column t-chart on the board... one was labeled Ms. D. and the other 2R (the class). They were all intrigued when they saw it up there. I told them the rules were simple... when I catch everyone in the class following directions, in seat working, raising hands, etc, they got a point on their side... but if I catch kids off-task, not following directions, etc, I got a point. Their goal was to have more points than I did by (specify a time... lunch, special, end of the day, etc).

This worked so well... after a few minutes of rewarding EVERYTHING with a point one way or the other, all I had to do was walk in the general vicinity of the board and everyone was on-task.

The first time they won, they all got a sticker. Later on, I didn't give them a tangible reward; they just all wanted to beat ME!

23. greyna2

greyna2 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I found this last year and used it. The principals, cafeteria monitors would pass out "compliment cards".

For all the nice things people say
    I'll add another card today.
    And when the cards and floor meet,
    Mrs. R. will bring us a treat.

This year I made a picture of a white zebra. I changed it to say, I'll add another stripe today. And when the zebra is complete.

I also do individual rewards. They pick a paper out of a containter. On the paper is written their reward. They don't know what it is until they read it. It could be special pencil, bag of crackers, lunch with teacher, teacher for the day, choose a seat for the day, small puzzle, card games, etc.

24. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

love that! I can't give candyfood rewards (state law). Any suggestions what else I could give that is rather cheap?

25. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

I love your idea. WOuld have used it if I was still in elementary.

26. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

In that case I would use a daily or weekly individual behavior chart with that student. You know one of those with spots to give a happy or sad face for various portions of each day. A certain amount of happy faces would equal a reward.

27. tward

tward Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I set a number of points that my class has to earn to have a party....at the beginning of the year it is usually 75. Each morning they start the day with 25 points, and I remove points as needed... if kids are off task, if they are not lining up quietly, etc. They really monitor each others behavior...and when I head toward those points on the board, they usually straighten right up! At the end of the day they keep any points that are left and I keep a total. I write...
    You have _____ points
    You need 75 points
    on the board along with the 25 every day. When they reach their goal we decide on a party. They give me ideas and I write them on the board (I have veto privilege...if it is too expensive or ridiculous!) I take about 6 ideas and we vote on them. Last year my class voted on some really great ones... my favorite was a No homework day (because it did not cost anything!) As the year progresses the number of points that they have to earn for a party increases... because of course I expect their behavior to improve.

28. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Harry Potter Houses Adapted

Since none of the students would benefit from being chosen in a sorting ceremony into the "Slytherin House" and be expected to behave well, I developed 4 new Houses based on the 4 symbols of the Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.
    They are: "The GroundWalkers" for Earth, symbol: a large Apatosaurus walking in front of mountains; colors: Green/Brown
    "The SwiftFliers" for the air; symbol: soaring eagle in front of orange sun, colors: Orange/Light Blue.
    "The Waterbearers" for water, symbol: dolphins jumping over ocean waves; color: Sea Blue/Turquoise
    "The FlameKeepers" for fire, symbol: a winged, firebreathing dragon in an Avant position, claw raised, in red; color: Red/Black
    [I will gladly e-mail them to you if you contact me through this site.]

I award points when I see students getting ready quietly during transition times and in the hall, etc. I quickly jot down their ID # for speed and then transfer the points to a chart I set up on an Excel program. Every 10 points earns the student a sybol to place on the House Points Charts, which hangs on the front of the bookcase I use as a speaking place (instead of a desk or chalk board.)

At the beginning of the year, we have a "Sorting Ceremony" with a big decorated paper Sorting Hat. The students pull out a folded paper and the color indicates the House they have been sorted into. In the ceremony, they go to the paper of their House on the wall and sign their name in that House color.

At the end of the school year, we adjust the total points by multiplying the totals by the fraction they are in the class. For instance, the Waterbearers House has 5 students and the GroundWalkers House has 6. The total # of students is 23. Multiply the total by that fraction: 5/23 or 6/23. Then they even out. We have a large gold House Cup in the room with a plaque on the wooden base that is inscribed each year with the name of the winning House. Each member of the House gets a small trophy cup with their name, date & house on the base plaque.
    This is my way of paying attention to the students who are listening and doing what they have been asked to do. A selfless and giving attitude and acts of kindness earn them points also.

We also have "Quidditch" games between the houses. A golden paper airplane is thrown into a chalk circle in the play yard. We slao do other simple skill contests like a mini sports day. This is just for bragging rights, not House points, just as the Quidditch games do not award House points except as sportsmanship and bravery. Last year we played capture the dragon between sets of 2 Houses.
    This year I am planning a Tri-Wizard event with dragons involving Scavenger Hunt type of clues.

Since my school is a Catholic School, my 4 Houses are based on the symbols for the 4 Gospels: Luke: angel - "Angelclouds House," symbol: turquoise cloud; colors Turquoise/White. Matthew: Oxen - "Oxenstrength House," symbol: black lightning bolt; colors: Dark Green/Black
    Mark: Lion - "LionsHeart House," symbol: red heart; colors: Gold and Dark Red.
    John: Eagle - "EaglesClaw House," symbol: navy blue 5 point star; colros: Red/Navy Blue.

I even have appliqued cloth flags hanging in the room each with the two house colors and the symbol in the middle.
    This will be my 5th House Cup Year. It is unbelievably powerful as a motivating force.