What if...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Sep 10, 2019

Principals, assistant principals, and classes has to go back and classroom teach for a year every 2-3 years? What about board members? What if they were required to volunteer in classrooms at least once a week?? Do you think it would make some kind of an impact??

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 11, 2019

Maybe, but not in the way you may be anticipating. You would have to hire even more administrators to account for them being teachers every 2-3 years, since you can't count on the displaced teachers suddenly becoming qualified to become admin. I don't want board members in my classes once a week - it is just enough "information" to sway minds without being representative of the experiences of all the teachers in the district. If it made an impact, I fear it wouldn't be positive.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 12, 2019

If we had the funding...

I would absolutely love to have administration switching back into teaching for a year every now and then. Perhaps I'm optimistic, but I absolutely think it would help with awareness.

@vickilyn is likely right about board members. Rather, I'd almost prefer the board members to have to teach for a year now and then, but I don't know if I want the board members teaching...

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 12, 2019

I don't know about other states, but our board members are not required to be educators to be elected to their position. They usually run on a campaign that tells how they will support education, but unless they are retired, I would see that as a conflict of interest for them to be active teachers.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 13, 2019

Yes, I'd love it. I especially would love principals and assistant principals in classroom to teach. Maybe 1 year after 4-5 years as a principal or VP.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 13, 2019

That would mean every board member would have to get teaching licenses. That isn't going to happen.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 13, 2019

I'd like it in the sense they could see what we deal with daily. I am guessing admin would give the school board members/ and other admin the cream of the crop though. They know they'll do the same for them later.
    It would cause way too many problems though here w/ school board members. Some of them are not very bright. Our district is spread out over so much land that there are many areas that the members run unopposed. No1 wants the job in some areas. We have a retired teacher and dr on there though who could do it. The rest do not have the backgrounds. I'd out myself lol if I told you the former careers of some of the others. ( Some have very colorful backgrounds.) :)

Backroads likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 13, 2019

Without giving myself away, I think it would be fair to say that many of the board members in any state or region would not be able to do the job of teaching while maintaining the level of confidentiality that the job justly requires. I have overheard board members talking in grocery stores with no regard for whether or not the information should be discussed in public, or for regard for who might be listening. If this is how they treat information that deserves discretion, then I would hate the thought of these board members as teachers in the district. Administrators should rightly be held to the same expectations of privacy and discretion as all teachers, and if they don't hold to those expectations, there should be ways to remove them from power that are lawful. I would not even want board members volunteering in my classroom, because if information is leaked, it is the bell that can't be unrung. I'm quite content to keep board members out of the classroom as things stand now.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 13, 2019

Exactly! We have the same problems with confidentiality here.. I know some of them just from being around. They stop me in stores and ask questions. My answer is always everything is going fine. I trust some as far as I could throw them!