What if...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by storyh, Feb 8, 2013.

1. storyh

storyh Companion

Feb 8, 2013

I needed to take a break from teaching? Would it be career suicide? I had sort of an ephinany this morning. I realized that my new job at my great new school was effecting my kids negativiely. I was working at a school with a toxic environment but was getting home before my kids. Now I have to work until 4, and my kids beat me home (no they don't go to school where I work). Then if I have to run errands afterschool it's even later when I get home. They are old enough to stay home (IMO) but I don't like it and their school work is suffering because they won't do their homework or studying and often tell me they don't have any. I feel like if I was home before them, that I would do a better job of catching this and making sure they stay up on their studies. I have to have a job, but I feel like I need to be there for my kids more than I need to teach. Maybe when they grow up I could go back? But what else can I do? Bottom line is my kids need me and I feel like I am letting them down. Any suggestions?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 8, 2013

Before you completely resign, see if you can possibly change to part-time status...either working shortter M-F or less days a week. I've been working 4, sometimes 3 days a week since last school yr & I'd never want to return to M-F if I can help it! So, even if you're changing positions within the district to work less days or hours, at least you're not quitting altogether.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 8, 2013

Can you take a one-year-long leave of absence? My district allows that.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 9, 2013

Can the kids attend your school/district?

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 9, 2013

What consequences do you give your kids when they have homework & they don't do it? It sounds like they want your time & attention. Leave work as soon as you can, use the crockpot for dinners & save your errands for the weekends.

7. storyh

storyh Companion

Feb 9, 2013

Thanks, Ms. I. I will finish the year but was thinking more in terms of not going back next year, but instead finding something else to do. Deep down I know I have the best job, since I am off when my kids are off. I do try to save most of my errands for the weekend, but sometimes that's not possible. They lose privileges when they don't do what they are supposed to do when they get home. we do eat dinner together as a family and we read the bible and say one nice thing about each other at night. I am trying to give them my time and attention, but I just want to be able to give them more. Thanks for all the suggestions! Got to go help my kids build a fort.