what if you don't know an answer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BASUDHA MUKHERJ, Aug 18, 2007.

1. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Is it ok to skip a question in your interview? Does it have any adverse effect in the administrators' mind? I had a question about religion and abortion in high school. I didn't know that much to build up the answer. I just gave up.

Is it ok to avoid unknown questions rather than trying to make up fakely?

Let me know please.

-Basudha

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 18, 2007

I think there are gracious and impressive ways to skip questions, so it depends on how you handled it.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

It is always best to answer honestly. If you don't know, say so. It would also be a good idea to tell the interviewer what you would do to find out how to handle the situation.

5. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Thank you. I think I am talking too much to answer each question.

What is good book/web link to get wise ideas please?

-basudha

6. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I agree with Malcolm. I would let the person know that I don't know too much about the subject. I think interviews are glad to see someone be honest as opposed to make a full of themselves trying to answer. If it is a philospy, theory, or practice that you are asked about and you don't know. I would definitely let the interviewer know you will read up and seek further information now that he/she has brought it to your attention. Again, shows initiative. Then, in my thank you email, I would paraphrase what I learned about the question so the interviewer knows I actually did take the time to brush up on the subject. Just my two cents....

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

Sorry, I don't have an resources on interviewing. What I said was based on many years of experience being on both sides of the interview table.

Just answer the question honestly and stay on topic. Do not drift off onto another topic. When you are done, you are done. Often, if the interviewer wants more information, they may prompt you for it. If you are in doubt about whether you have answered with sufficient detail, just ask the interviewer. And understand that for many questions, there is no correct answer. The interview is just trying to see how you think on your feet.

8. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Have you went to the interview threads? There are pages of interview questions and answers. You can also google "teacher interview questions".

I would also get a good PPR study guide. It seems like a lot of interview questions are answered in there. And know something about the grade that you are interviewing.

Or speak to a teacher that has been on an interview panel and can give you some scenario questions.

There's also the Gallup 16 teacher questions that partner with the Teacher Insight online interview. It's for principals to use during interviews.

I get nervous during the interviews, too. Sometimes, the words are there and they just won't come out. Or my foot gets inserted several times during the interview.

Good luck and don't forget about those prompt thank yous for everyone on the panel! I emailed that day and sent a nice thank you via snail mail within 1 day. There are guides on the internet for writing a thank you. As another poster said, it gives you a chance to bring up something that you may have forgotten during the interview.:p

Don't forget to use spell check. My principal said that she dumps the resumes that contain spelling and grammar errors.

9. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 20, 2007

Basudha,
    I feel the same way. I think I say way too much trying to thoroughly answer the questions. I think it is also nervousness for me. I have been counseled to only answer the question asked and not to elaborate too much as Malcolm suggested.
    I have an interview Thursday and I plan to work on a better presentation of myself all week.
    Good Luck to you.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2007

There is a book available from this site for immediate download, by Adam Waxler. It is the first thread on the Job Seekers forum. I suggest you buy it, it really helps you know how to answer the questions, and pretty much tells you what to say. Good Luck

11. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Thank you for all the the helpful resources, guys.

-Basudha

12. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Hi,

I got an interview which says to get prepared for a teaching unit.

I will have to teach in front of them about my chosen topic. Do I have to take chirt/picture? Can I take colorful chalks with me to draw on board?
    Give me some tips please.

Thanks-- Basudha

13. Calif_teacher

Calif_teacher Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Hi Basudha,

Congrats on being called for the interview!

Yes, you can definitely take the required materials with you. In fact, teachers, administrators like that. What grade/subject is this interview for? If it is science, especially Biology, do take pictures, color diagrams etc. Prepare your lesson in advance and practice it in front of a friend or a family member and ask them to point out mistakes, if any. Make sure your lesson has a clear beginning & an ending and it should meet the objectives. Keep it short and simple.

Don't worry and be confident. It is natural to get nervous in front of teachers/principals. Relax....everything will be fine.

Wish you good luck! Keep us updated.

14. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

I don't know. I always try to answer questions but sometimes it is probably better not to if you don't understand, and then make a big fool of yourself. I like the idea of saying that you will look into it and then follow up afterwards.