What if the kids ask?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AZSpedtchr, Nov 12, 2008.

1. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Nov 12, 2008

I would guess that someone else has either worried about this or has come across this issue.....I'm 16 weeks pregnant with my first child and was recently thinking about what to say to my young students when the time comes that I have to tell them why I have a "bump".
    It's not that I'm worried about explaining why I won't finish the school year, but I'm wondering if any might ask logistical questions....how & why!!!:eek:
    Any thoughts?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 12, 2008

You might not have to say anything. I am also pregnant with my first and my students figured it out on their own. When they bring it up, I answer their questions quickly and move on with the lesson. They are more concerned that I'll bring the baby up to see them and that I'll come back for their end of the year rewards (I'm 19 weeks, so like you, I'll be out at the end of the year.)

4. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Nov 12, 2008

I have a co-worker who is also trying to figure this out - she is about 12 weeks. I think she's decided to wait until she's really showing and the kids bring it up. She's also going to have to deal with the "but you're Ms. - how are you having a baby if you're not married?" question.
    I don't think the kids will really have too much of an issue for her - she'll be the 4th teacher to have a baby this school year (August; Tuesday; January and now May). They've also been spread throughout grade levels (K, 1, 5, 3) so the kids at my school are getting familiar with the baby bump!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 12, 2008

Without getting into the anatomy & physiology of it, I'd just say that when ladies are going to have a baby, the baby grows inside the mother for a while before it's eventually born. I wouldn't say anything more & if they ask more questions, I'd tell them to ask their parents.

Most kids have siblings, so I'm sure most of them at least have some idea what the "bump" is all about.

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 13, 2008

Sorry to hijack the thread but it is on the same idea...

Does anyone have a good answer to the question, "Well how can you have a baby if you're a Ms. and not married?".

Not the case for me, just wondering how people have dealt with that. I know in the case of a woman at our school she wasn't married when she had her child and it was treated differently than for another woman that was.

It's not right but that was how my colleagues treated it.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 13, 2008

I think it really depends on the area as to if being married would be a big deal. I teach at a school with a majority of single mom families, so we've had 2 unmarried teachers and nobody, students or teachers, thought it was that big a deal. If it is a concern, I would probably ignore the question--it's none of the student's business anyway.

8. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 13, 2008

That's a very good point. I too work in a district where the student's families are doing it all the time. Thanks for the input.

9. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Nov 13, 2008

When I had my first child 18 months ago, I read the book "Our Teacher's Having a Baby." by Eve Bunting to my class when I was about 5 months pregnant and couldn't hide the bump from my students anymore. I covered up the title and read the book to them during read aloud time. Afterwards, I asked them why they thought I had read this book to them. They were so excited and were more worried about naming the baby and whether it was going to be a boy or girl that they never asked any why or how questions.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 13, 2008

No one's ever asked me that, but I'd just say that using Ms. is a choice ladies can use, which means that the person is married or unmarried. Hopefully the person having a baby is married.
    I'd leave it at that.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2008

I don't know what I'd say if a student asked me if I was pregnant ....

I do know if I was ........ I'd get an agent and I'd call the newspapers!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 13, 2008

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2008

What is this world coming too
    All I can say is from Ghostbusters' Dr. Peter Venkman:
    "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"​

14. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Nov 13, 2008

Awesome! I did not know that there was a book out there like that! I am going on Amazon right now!!!:thanks:

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2008

though I am happy to say that I will never need that book :); it does sound like a nice read for students

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2008

I saw this couple on Oprah and it was actually a really touching story. The wife could not get pregnant, and even though he had started to make the transition to becoming a man, he still had his girl parts, so they figured, why not? They were a very loving couple.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2008

One of my first graders asked me once where babies come from. I said they would learn that in second grade and they needed to ask their teacher next year.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 14, 2008

Ha!

One of my boys is getting a baby brother for Christmas, and it's all he thinks about. Our PE teacher also just had a baby girl, by way of his wife. This little boy is so caught up in baby-world that he asked me when I'm having my baby, as if it's the most natural thing to just pop one out. I looked down to make sure I hadn't suddenly gained about 30 pounds, and told him it will be a while. Hopefully.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 14, 2008

That is too funny, Jem! And not fair at all Sarge! Just tell them to talk to their parents and send them home with a note!

20. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Nov 14, 2008

Ummm why?

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2008

Why ask why?
    No matter what, the norm is still "Married"(or "Civil Unioned") people have babies.
    Or maybe we only need a sperm donors?

22. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Nov 15, 2008

Dave - I grew up in a single parent family. Most of my kids are from single parent families. "Normal" is a value judgement. To me, a two-parent functional family is "abnormal" at best.

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2008

Being the age I am I do find it sad that single parents are the norm.
    My Dad was a single parent till I was 3.
    I was a single parent too but I am a firm believer that kids do the best with two parents (yes I know there are single parent kids who do well).
    I feel a male role model and a female role model are very important A Boy needs to see what a man is supposed do. A Girl needs to see what a woman is supposed do.

24. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Nov 15, 2008

Dave - just because a kid lives in a home with only one parent doesn't mean they lack role models of the opposite gender. My Mom raised my brother and I alone.

That said, we HAD role models of both genders. Uncles, Granda, my Mom's best friend's husband who loved both of us as if we were his own.

The rest of your post is all about gender roles lol, and those vary from culture to culture and place to place. My Mom did a lot of things around the house that a man is "supposed to do" like mow the lawn, take out the garbage and fix things. As we got older, I learned how to do those things, and so did my brother.

We can both also do laundry, cook meals, clean the house, and change the oil or a tire on a car. We can both also manage money and pay bills. Gender roles are changing Dave! Role models of both genders, yeah, I agree with that, but I totally disagree with the idea that its so a girl can learn to be a woman or a boy can learn to be a man.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2008

I am sorry but this seems to be leading to "a dad is not needed" type of discussion.
    IMHO a child needs TWO loving parents If two adults make a baby they should provide a home for the child with a Dad and a Mom if they can't do that they never should have made the baby in the first place and I say this as a former single parent! A parent has to choose the baby's other parent better.:2cents:

Your whole last paragraph assumed too much.....
    "what a man is supposed do." means He must Learn:
    how to be a father,
    how to love the mother of his children (not sexual),
    how to earn a living and to be able to help support his family,
    How to honor commitments,
    How to be a hero to his kids.........

I know many "real" men who can do laundry, cook meals, clean the house and can't change the oil or change a tire on a car.

26. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Nov 15, 2008

I disagree. A child needs a parent or parents who loves them. A parent who raises them in a HOUSE full of love, rather than a house full of fighting.

Your stance seems to be that two parents are everything.

My brother honour his comittments. He loves the women in his life more than any other man I know, because he's watched what happens when men don't hounour their comittments, and don't love the women in their lives first hand. He's seen me in a hospital bed after I lost my baby, nearly bleeding out in the process.

He won't do that to a woman.

I learned how to love myself, regardless of whether or not I am loved by a man.

Those lessons are more valuable than anything you have suggested.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2008

You made my point for a male role model
    I think the best male role model is the father
    I belong to a fathers rights organization
    We push for fathers to take responsiblity and not shirk it.
    Absentee parents are not good for Children
    Just because "Normal" has changed does not make it right!
    Now this is not an attack on single parenthood.

Single Parenthood comes from many angles My dad became a single parent with the death of my mother, (she had the same problem as you did but in 1951 the doctors could not stop the bleeding). I became a single parent because of a cheating wife.
    Some become a single parent because not choosing a good spouse (my case) I did not "vet" her well enough. When I had custody my son I did not date , but I used his Grandmother and my sister as female role models & His mom was very much in the picture.
    Boys need to see how a man treats a woman.
    Girls need to see How to be treated by a man.
    If your Uncles & Granddad did that, all the better but that is really the job of the DAD.
    And it is no insult or disrespect to your mom to say a dad in the picture would have been a nice thing to have.
    I know some dads are not worth the air to say their name
    there are some Moms that way too.