what if I can't find a job???

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Aug 11, 2006.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I'm in panic mode. I quit my teaching job in dc to move home this summer to NH. I have put my resume out but only one interview at a Catholic School. They were highly impressed but it came down to the position was 2nd grade and they felt strongly the person teaching 2nd grade should be Catholic. Not that I don't know the sacraments. I'm fusterated because I thought what I was lacking on my resume was experience I've done the aide thing then taught in VA. I thought about subbing but that doesn't give benefits. Any ideas? I can't believe I'm thirty years old and can't get a teaching job in this area. It's so hard that even though I don't want to I'm thinking of leaving the field.

3. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I taught in DC for a year back in the late 80's. Which school did you teach at? City life wasn't for me. I did come back home and I had a job for many years, but my school closed, so after 23 years I am looking for another teaching job and it is frustrating. I also have subbed, but as you said there is no benefits and being 46, I need health insurance especially. Keep trying! I sure hope things work out for you.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 11, 2006

Walk personally into schools ask if they have openings and you can keep your resume on file!

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 11, 2006

I understand. I am 26 and this is my second year as a long term sub. I have no idea at the end of the year if I'm out or not. I subbed per deim for 2 years before landing this job. Prior to that, I worked in before and after care. I was a site director with benefits and I was making good money doing it and adding to retirement as I was an official school employee. I only left because I really wanted to teach. The other perk to this program was that I was open for interviews and I did do emergency sub work for the district. THe only thing you can do is keep trying. Try to find something to fill-in in the mean time.
    IT's hard. I hope that you find something. Keep us posted!

6. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 11, 2006

I am originally from an area that has VERY FEW teaching jobs...Western PA. The last I heard, there are about 500 applicants for every one elementary position that is posted in this area. I went to school in PA, but thankfully my husband is military and we have been stationed in areas where there are always teaching jobs (NC and Northern VA).

It took my mother 5 years to get a teaching job in PA. She subbed for 2, then worked for Headstart for a year before returing to sub for 2 years. The fact that she was willing to take anything that came her way as a sub really helped her out. She took on a difficult position and that led to a permanent teaching position. So, I guess my advice to you is to take what you can get to start out. Get your foot in the door and hopefully it will lead to bigger and better things.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

You might want to try Kelly Educational Staffing to sub. you can purchase health insurance through them. They work with both public and private schools and they pay a good salary plus you can work other temp jobs on your vacations. If you go on the Kelly Services website or contact the nearest Kelly Services Office in your area you should be able to find the Kelly Educational Staffing Office closest to you. Good luck! Terry G.

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 11, 2006

I forgot about them. THey are in PA too. Many of my friends used them and had great success !!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2006

I know how you feel. I'll be 31 in a couple of months and just found my first teaching job four hrs away from my home. So I'm moving. Where are you in NH?

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 11, 2006

I worked as a home/hospital teacher. I was based at one of the schools--my choice--and the district pupil personnel director called me whenever I had a child who needed services. When I didn't have home visits I worked in the schoo helping in classrooms or in the office.

It was a great job, I got benefits, and it helped keep me in the system.

The jobs was actually "made" for me. The homebound students were typically picked up by regular teachers who visited them after school.

11. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

If you want benefits and stability you might try applying for teacher assisitant jobs and work at that until you get certified in New Hampshire. You might try other private schools besides Catholic ones. Check with the New Hampshire State Board of Education about certification requirements. I really undertand how you feel. I have been teaching for several years have two teaching credentials and I am pursuing an administrative credential and so far I have only found sub jobs. I signed up with Kelly Educational Staffing for the benefits. Kelly Educational Staffing has an office in Manchester New Hampshire. Good luck and keep us posted. Terry G.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

If she has already taught for three years in another state than she is cert. in NH.