What (if any) Electronic Devices Does Your School Provide for You?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Mar 10, 2019.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2019

When I was in public school, Teachers were offered the use of a laptop. I used my own because it was just easier. We also had smartboards. When I moved to private school we had no technology. Last year they supplied every classroom (Except the ESE room) with a smartboard.

2. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Mar 11, 2019

We get a laptop (basic, almost bottom of the line Dell) and a smartboard. There is 1 iPad per grade level (2 teachers share it typically). I also have 2 of my own iPads that I use in the classroom. My computer is finishing year 4 and they are looking to start replacing them next year on a rotating basis with 1/3 of the staff getting new computers each year.

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2019

We get an iPad and MacBook. We do not have to return them in the summer. Some teachers still have desktops, though most have requested that they be removed from their room.

4. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Mar 11, 2019

In my classroom I have a desktop (with two monitors), ten student computers, 35 classroom chromebooks, ten ipods, a smart board, a document camera. Those items must always stay in my classroom unless removed by the IT department.
    Checked out to me personally I have an iPad, a chromebook, and a MacBook. These are essentially mine to do what I wish with for as long as I maintain my position at my current school. If I damage them I am responsible to pay for them and I cannot do anything on those I can't do on my school computer at the building. Teachers have been dismissed for doing and/or looking at questionable things on their off the clock hours, at home, on a district owned device.

5. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Mar 12, 2019

My school provides a laptop (Surface), and I share a laptop with the teacher who shares my room with me. We asked for, and received, a used electronic projector (ELMO) that was no longer being used by another teacher. Other than that, my side of the room has to technology, and my whiteboard is just special whiteboard paper covering a chalkboard. Every time I use my whiteboard, it erases terribly no matter what I do. The previous teacher even left me chalk, because I guess she assumed I would have a chalkboard this year.

6. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Mar 12, 2019

My school provides a laptop (Surface), and I share a Smart Board with the teacher who shares my room with me. We asked for, and received, a used electronic projector (ELMO) that was no longer being used by another teacher. Other than that, my side of the room has to technology, and my whiteboard is just special whiteboard paper covering a chalkboard. Every time I use my whiteboard, it erases terribly no matter what I do. The previous teacher even left me chalk, because I guess she assumed I would have a chalkboard this year.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 12, 2019

Each teacher is assigned a MacBook Air, but they are old and weird, so I don't use mine. I just bring my own Pro back and forth to school. I also have one iPad and a Chrome cart assigned to my room.

8. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Apr 4, 2019

(Small private school)
    My 9th graders have their own chromebooks (new this year), and there are 5 other chrome books that are used by the rest of the school as needed for schoolwork.

There are a small percentage of teachers that use school provided laptops, they rest use their own personal computers. There are a few outdated desktops that could be used by students (Windows xp), but are not really used.

There are two projectors that are shared among all the teachers.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 4, 2019

Two projectors shared among all the teachers? Wait a minute, what?

I’m glad each teacher has their own projector at my school. That would be so irritating to have to share just two with everyone!!! Not to mention, it would be a logistical nightmare.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 5, 2019

All faculty and staff have ThinkPads we can take home. Several staff and administrators have been issued cell phones, but none of the teachers at this time.

11. Baroness

Baroness Rookie

Apr 5, 2019

At my school, all teachers and paras have laptops. All students have Chromebooks. There is one iPad cart (with 30 iPads) per grade level to share (though we don't really need them.) All rooms have a projector and an Elmo. All science and technology classrooms have Smartboards.

12. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Apr 5, 2019

It actually works since very few teachers use the projectors. I don't think there has ever been a time when two people actually needed it at the same time. The school has 5 or 6 elementary teachers, (K-6) 3 full time middle/high school teachers, and a handfull of part time teachers.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 5, 2019

4th grade language arts teachers here. I have a set of 30 touchscreen chromebooks. Our grade level wrote an application for a grant. I got lucky because they are kept in my room. I use them every day usually. We also have a chromebook I can take home for myself. At a different school we had macbook airs for the teachers. That was nice!

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 5, 2019

We get: a laptop or desktop for our desk, a laptop or desktop for instruction, either a projector or a large TV. If asked for, we can get a document camera. Most of us have printers. We also have access to a printer in the library. The school has Chromebook carts that can be reserved and checked out.

Some of us have other technology. We have more Promethean and Smart boards than teachers currently want to use. Teachers who teach media arts classes have IMacs and access to the Adobe Creative Cloud. We also have an engineering program on campus, so they have AutoCAD and a 3D printer, and who knows what else technology. Pretty much whatever technology teachers want, they can access.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 5, 2019

Love it! This is the way it should be.