What/How do you teach at the end of the year?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stGradeNewbie, May 6, 2008.

1. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

May 6, 2008

We have approximately 11 days of school left in our school year, and my kids are basically done with school (They have been since probably after spring break!). I know that I can't teach the regular way I have been, b/c I can barely keep their attention. Do you teach any differently the last few weeks of school? Any activities that you do for math or reading? I need some ideas that are somewhat organized, b/c anything that is unstructured will probably chaotic! (for them and me!) Thanks!

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 6, 2008

We've already started planning "fun" activities for science/social studies time because we're ahead of the game and done teaching everything that we have to! We've still got 25 days left, but will be reading stories that have to do with a certain topic (first is ocean life) and making art crafts to go along with it. We also have found ways to tie it into math.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 6, 2008

Wow! You're almost done! For math some things I like to do are games and graphing mystery pictures. In reading, I will have the kids pick some of our old favorite big books to reread. I will also do some summer read-alouds. I also usually do some fun crafts, since we don't get to do too many throughout the year.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 6, 2008

Our last day is a half day. Both our Superintendent and our Principal have said they don't want goofing off that day. They want us to continue learning up to the last minute. Ughhh...have you forgotten what is like?

6. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 6, 2008

I still have another 2 weeks left of curriculum and that will leave me with only 3 days to come up with something else. I plan on doing an ocean/beach theme unit.

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 6, 2008

This will sound "lectury" but I simply keep our schedule as regular as possible. the kids do so much better with this.

But I also pull out some new tricks like earning points etc. for a treasured activity like Word-o or choice time or extra math games.

8. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

May 6, 2008

We're almost done with school as well (2 and 1/2 weeks left) I'm keeping the schedule that I have used all year long but instead of lessons (since I covered everything already) I'm doing the following:

Reading/Writing: Fairy tales - comparing stories, listening to different versions of the same fairy tale and having them create their own fairytales. I reinerate the comprehension skills they have learned with the fairy tales as well. I also do some review of phonics and let them work in literacy stations.

Math: I have them rotate through centers of the various skills they have learned from first grade. I got the book: Instant Math Centers Gr. K-1 by: CREATIVE TEACHING PRESS. I really like it!

Science - We're doing plants - growing them, observing them, and doing various art projects along with it.

9. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

May 7, 2008

Wow!! What ever happened to "closure" and "saying goodbye" and everybody sharing their favorite part of the school year?

I understand that the admin doesn't want the last week to be chaos, but the last half a day? no fun stuff?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 7, 2008

What are mystery pictures? I need some math ideas!

11. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

May 7, 2008

I do a comprehensive review of math/language activities using games, interactive centers and worksheets, along with some fun seasonal things.

12. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 7, 2008

I continue teaching up to the last day...but I make it fun. I introduce "1st grade jobs" (OOH-AHH, I'm in Kinder) I also have the students tell me what their favorite games or activities from Kindergarten were and we try to play them all once more for our review. We make a memory book as we go... I agree with the previous poster that keeping the schedule the same usually cuts down the chaos. I don't visually pack up my room until the last minute (I put everything away that isn't out on a regular basis and organize where I will stash things but DO NOT put it away yet or I promise you they will shut down.) I learned a lot doing year round about how to have the goodbyes and the shutting down aspect while keeping the instruction real so as not to waste any teachable moments.

13. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

May 8, 2008

Here is my fun plan for the last week or so of school. I'm going to have themed days. I'll still teach, but lets face it...it is pretty much a waste of time. They are done and so am I so we will just enjoy each others company. My boss is laid back and says "go for it."

Camp Day- roasting hot dogs, going to the park, Camp Read-a-Lot, make ice cream the scientific way, write ghost stories, etc.

Movie/PJ/Spa Day- They have earned all of their compliment marbles so this is a free day. Wearing PJs, laying on pillows, watching movies, and we will fix hair and do nails.

Farmer for a Day- We will review plant life cycles and needs and work in the flower beds around our school. We will also check out a local farm and see what a farmer does (kind of a community worker thing).

Teacher for a Day- Each child gets 15-20 minutes to teach the class about something they know about or how to make or do something.

Beach Day- Beach ball math, reading ocean/beach books, having water day outside. The local fire dept. usually brings down a truck and sprays the kids.

Our school has things planned as well: Field Day and a Kickball game (5th grade vs. faculty). The day of the kickball game will be game day in my classroom as well.

We also have storytelling week during the afternoons of the EOG.

14. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

May 10, 2008

I know I'm going to sound like a stick in the mud but we never get to do anything fun at my school. We have very structured reading and math programs that we are required to stick to every, single, stinkin' day. (Not my choice) Because of this, our kids don't know how to function when we don't do that structured reading and math.

As long as I have at least 9 kids I'm going to keep on just like always. Our awards day program is this Thursday (15th) and Spring Fling is on Friday(16th.) We don't get out until the 22nd. For that last week I'm telling them that if they don't feel good and don't come to school that they won't miss anything. We've already had our last test--all that's left are two projects that are due on Wednesday.

15. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

May 12, 2008

We have four days of school left. We have two days left of teaching. We have been reading fun stories working on various comprehension skills. We have been revisiting some phonics skills by playing rhyming bingo or sight word bingo. In math I have been covering some second grade topics. The kids are loving it because they are learning second grade stuff. The wonderful tool of learning but the kids not realizing it. Yeah, it alsmost over!!!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

Okay, I know you teach 1st, but I'm sure I can steal this idea for my fifth grade! :D Today, one of my kids asked what we were going to do this afternoon. We finished testing last week, after testing for two weeks, and so they are finally getting back into our normal routine. I said, science of course. Then, this one kid said, really? I thought we were all done. I said, "of course not. We still have plenty to learn." My student said, "Now that we're done with testing, what's the point?" I said, "to get ready for sixth grade!"

But, it's true, we're all done, pooped, tired, fried....

Anyways, I like the themed idea. I'm sure my fifth graders aren't too old for this... maybe??????

17. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 14, 2008

Math mystery pictures are graphs where it tells the students the coordinates to color in and when they are done it makes a picture. I have a book, but I can't remember the title.

18. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

May 14, 2008

Aw..those sound like great ideas!

I'm new so I honestly have no idea what ppl do at the end of the year. We also have Math and Phonics programs. I am def. going to finish my Math up which I only have like 9 lessons left and 2 tests. Phonics..I'm gunna do as much as possible but doubt I will finish it up.I dont particularly like it, and I know I will lose my kids at some point anyway. I will probably be doing some review games just because even tho my kids do not take the state standard tests, I feel that reviewing is important, and making it into games is fun for them. I have some BINGO games that they enjoy. We also have a Field Day and an SOL Day at the Park. We start doing end of the year assessments next week so right now Im trying to get thru that. I know it might sound corny and harsh but Im gunna let my kids help me clean my room and straighten it up. I mentioned it yesterday and they all seemed to think it was cool, so we'll be doing that one day. Knowing me I will probably be showing a lot of movies too. I want to do some fun creative things but since it's my 1st yr Im just trying to figure out what goes on and what I'm supposed to do.

19. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

May 18, 2008

We have about 2 1/2 weeks left, so that leaves me with 4 days.
    So, since I have a pretty challenged group (lots of behavior issues and BSP's) I am doing spiral review for language arts and math. I am going to keep our schedule the same to keep them on track. It's review so it is going to be okay for them. They need all they can get, since they were a really low group when I got them at the beginning of the year. I am going to incorporate other fun things in throughout with art. Keep it easy and keep it fun...I think I might do a mini theme on summer and things we should do to keep ourselves safe (swimming, boating, sun protection and such).

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 18, 2008

We had a workshop on this very thing and I had to miss it because I was giving a workshop of my own. (insert pouty face, too lazy at 3am to insert one myself).

Last week I had a grouchy first part of the week and a fantastic second half of the week. I only posted about one day but the bottom line/the difference was exactly what many of you are saying, BREAK THE MOLD. I am BORED approaching the day the exact same way everyday. We do different activities and many of them are fun but it gets PREDICTABLE. I'm starting with morning message. We did cut the sentences (sentence strips) and reassemble them (tape to board), using full sentences (on sentence strips) we figured out the sequence, we did an animated power point on the smart board and we did an animated power point in the dark (rainy day). Smartboard users: If it is dark in the room and you display a black screen (end of power point), the power point markers become NEON almost like glow in the dark. I guess you figured out we learned that quite by accident.

One powerpoint said to READ first (as the first slide) while others are doing their jobs. I introduced a graphic organizer with it. I liked changing the order of WHEN to do the morning message in a way that was smooth.

I LOVE b4Pebbles list! I don't have THAT much say, as an aide. I wish! Last year I wanted to do the count down the days from A to Z (themes) but that didn't fly.

Did I mention we blew BUBBLES INSIDE the classroom when it was dark? Haha! Too bad the bubbles were weird and didn't work that well. I found some SCENTED bubbles I want to try this week. (This was part of a word study activity. If the card had a family word then they blew bubbles, if it was other type words then they either wrote them on the neon smartboard or threw a floppy frisbee at a target (table). They came up to me and spelled the word, told me which category and off they went.

21. RugRats

RugRats Companion

May 31, 2008

I like to keep my schedule the same right up to the end (with the exception of the last day and a half). I continue to teach the same subjects during the same times but I make the lessons as fun as possible. Almost like cb4pebbles, but I only pick one theme to do... Maybe I'll spice it up a bit this next year and add a few more themes to the mix. I know I'm dragging by the end, especially those last two weeks!!!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 31, 2008

Okay, we have a week and a half left...

I know, as an aide, that we are for sure finishing up our food chain craft, finishing our animal research paper/poster/presentation, going on a fieldtrip to the zoo and working furiously on our ME books to give parents at the end of the year. I know in math we still have to teach measurements.

23. barnettca

barnettca Rookie

Jun 1, 2008

End of year math fun

I have my kids make their own snakes and ladders games - they love it.
    I blow up a hundreds chart so the squares are about 1/12 inches each - you do it on 11 X17 paper - and will need to cut some off and glue two together to get one hundred squares.

We then work together on printing the numbers on as they don't, of course, go on like a regular hundreds chart. We look at a couple of real snakes and ladders games.

Once the numbers are on "in lead pencil" I let the go over them in marker. Then we make snakes and ladders out of construction paper or cardstock. They set them on and glue them, but before we do this we talk about strategy and how putting some in certain places defeats the purpose - example - you don't want a ladder going up to number 97 because that makes an almost automatic win situation.

I allow them 4 or 5 snakes and ladders. When they are done, we put them on construction paper or poster board. I have snuck them into our Ed. Centre and laminated them for the kids.

Finally, we invite other classes in to play snakes and ladders on our boards and rotate the boards.

Other things:

We play "take down the word wall" bingo - make up own cards with words and then I take them all down and we play bingo a few times in the last couple of weeks where we have different callers that pull the words from a hat.

Read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and make a book called "The Very Hungry First Grader" and write about what they learned month by month and finally they turn into second graders.

24. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 2, 2008

Those are very creative ideas. :) I will probably do some of those for next year. Thanks!

25. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 2, 2008

Barnettca - those are very cute ideas!! I love the hungry caterpillar idea. My students would LOVE that!:wub: I hope you don't mind if some admiring teachers use these ideas!

Does each students make their own chutes and ladders game?
    Do you photocopy a template for the snakes and ladders or do you have the studens draw them free hand?
    I think for good skill practice I will have them make addition and subtraction cards instead of rolling dice.

26. barnettca

barnettca Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Snakes and Ladders Games

Each child makes their own and then they can take it home to play. I took a hundreds chart and blew it up 200 percent on the photocopier (11 X 17 paper). It doesn't all fit so you have to do two and cut and paste them so they fit together (you'll have a few extra lines to cut off). If you do it, work slowly on the numbers - it is so different than doing a hundreds chart that a lot of them charge ahead and mess up. We did it line by line, fixed reversals, etc.

These games have been a big hit with families. I like the idea of addition cards, but usually with snakes and ladders you only roll one die or the game is over too quickly. Perhaps subtraction cards would work better than addition so you can have answers six and less.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 3, 2008

If you guys do a goodie bag to send home something we use in class all year is relatively cheap. At our education store they have clear color tinted die with small baby die inside. I use this for addition practice while playing games. (It won't work with the chutes and ladder game.

28. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 3, 2008

Thanks for the tips, Barnettca :)

29. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 3, 2008

I'm curious - why don't they go on like a regular 100 chart? I understand that it is large and needs to be on two pieces of paper to fit - butyou don't still put 10 numbers on a line?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I'm just so excited about this - I want it to go well! I'm going to make 1 first in a couple of days before I make them with my class. I'm just trying to visualize!

30. barnettca

barnettca Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Snakes and Ladders Game

You start at the bottom left hand corner with the number 1 and go across to 10, then the number above 10 has to be 11 and work back to the left (so the game goes in order). The number over 1 will be 20, then 21 has to go above. Yes, I know you are now hitting your head and saying "of course"! :)

You will get those eager beaver non-listeners who will just work ahead and screw it all up and then do some major erasing of numbers. I also have a big dollar store one that I put up on the board so they can refer to it.

We haven't started ours yet this year, but the kids are talking about it because we went for a Grade Two visit yesterday and they asked them if they started making their games. I think one of the best things is that I laminate them - makes them seem more official or something to the kids.

31. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

LOL!!:toofunny: I WAS! I'm so glad I asked. : )

32. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 4, 2008

I'm glad you mentioned how to do it as well. I such a visual learner! Thanks for describing how to setup the numbers!