What hobbies do you have?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by stampin'teacher, Jun 5, 2013.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

While on maternity leave, I realized I don't have many hobbies. Sure, I have some activities I enjoy (reading, walking the dogs, socializing with friends) but I've never delved into a hobby-mostly because I always see money flying away when I could be spending it more wisely. I enjoyed rubber stamping/greeting cards, but it was getting awfully expensive. I think, however, that this mentality is what's making me go a little stir crazy, and maybe be a little annoyed at my DH, who has EVERY hobby known to man!

So I'm looking to try something new-what hobbies do you enjoy?

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I have several hobbies I engage in but the most cost effective so far has been writing. I've got a computer with word processing and sometimes I even have time. It pretty much costs nothing.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

photography while out on walks with my dog with my camera on my phone.

helping others on support groups makes me feel good

those are just some..

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2013

Embroidery is pretty cheap and you have something to give away if you want.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 5, 2013

I have a lot of hobbies that I enjoy, but I don't do all of them all the time. Sometimes I get bored with them. I did scrap booking for awhile, but once I got 30 years of pictures in books, I didn't have much interest init after that.

I've tried blogging. I'm not great at it.

The things I do most often are counted cross stitch, photography, and sewing. Those are things I started doing when I was young, and I just kept up with it.

Last winter I took a class in mesh wreath making. I've taken classes in chair caning, basket making, ceramics, macramé. I like to try new things. I raise a small garden. I like flowers. I got a little fishing interest from my dad.

My mom makes handmade quilts. She also does oil painting and whittling. She does cross-stitch, too.

Most of my hobbies aren't that expensive. Start up can be with some things, but maintaining isn't bad. Framing my cross stitch is most expensive. They are between $100-200 each to frame.

My dad took up woodworking when he retired. He made some really nice furniture. He was also a big fisherman.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

I don't have many expensive hobbies either, partly because I live in the country and a lot of hobbies (zumba classes, etc.) would require a long commute.

I mainly like to spend my free time reading, learning to cook new dishes, exercising, watching TV, or socializing. I do knit occasionally when the mood strikes. I also make photo books online of family photos.

Oh yeah, I guess my main "hobby" for the past 3 years has been grad school. I'm in my last year right now and looking forward to the free time coming my way in May 2014.

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I've been unemployed since February(So looking forward to August). How I kill time:

Video games, reading on my tablet, going to the gym, watching movies, browsing the internet(by far my biggest time waster), Netflix/HBO Go movies.

9. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

Wow lots of fun stuff to try! My husband used to do photography so we have a nice camera-I've been trying to learn how to use it since the baby's here.

I think I'm also going to try knitting...I know many people who could use some cute stuff! I'd love to take a class but with the baby I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a class at an appropriate time. Does anyone know if JoAnn's has classes?

10. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 5, 2013

Im restoring/ hotroding a 1970 GMC for my sons first truck.
    I fish at lot off the coast of Texas.
    I make custom handmade pens and bowls. Which I sell and you can see pics here.
    https://www.facebook.com/KCsPens?ref=hl

Do a lot of camping on the beach while fishing.
    Raising my son by myself is a big one/ Single dad.
    I love to travel and being retired from the airline industry helps with that.
    I ride a Harley and ride dirtbikes with my son.
    That's just a few of the top off my head.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2013

I don't do enough: reading, watching TV, working out, playing around on my ipad. I started teaching myself to sew a few years ago, but I haven't made anything since I moved. National Board has been my biggest "hobby" lately, so I haven't had time for a lot of other things.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2013

Look to see if your local adult school has knitting. They often have many craft classes, but in this age of budget cuts, many are closing.

13. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 6, 2013

Everyone I know says crocheting is easier and faster than knitting. I also think the things you can make are prettier. I tried to learn years ago, but I'm a lefty and it was really difficult for me. But most people claim its easy to learn.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 6, 2013

I did crafting when my children were very young and I stayed home a lot. I cross-stitched my little fingers off (and made some beautiful Christmas ornaments with small projects), learned some stamping techniques and tried to make cards, and had several other 'phases': braided fabric baskets, wreaths, angels with cross-stitched skirts, corn-husk dolls...... I already knew how to crochet and, yes, it is supposed to be easier than knitting. I learned from a book, but I suppose you could find good instructions online these days.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 6, 2013

TV watching
    Traveling & day trips
    Shopping
    Museums - certain types like natural history ones
    Dining out - I'm probably a tad bit of a foodie
    Going to amusement parks
    Watching makeup tutorial videos
    Dogs - I have an interest in various breeds & attend dogs shows at times

I do like photography, art, & working out, but haven't done it lately. I like cooking, but I really have to be in the mood to do a dish from scratch.

When I was a child, I knew how tocrochet & knit, but haven'et done it since then.

16. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

Reading, of course.

Hiking is a big one for me. After the initial start-up cost (a good pair of hiking shoes), it's really cheap. I live in the Appalachian mountains, however, so there are trails everywhere.

Cooking.

Volunteering.

I've tried crafting, but it can get too expensive for me.

I've also tried photography, but I'm miserable at it.

Exercising.

I would advise, if you can afford it, to look into what classes your local community college offers. Ours has everything from ballroom dancing to pottery. I had thought about trying out the latter this summer.

My husband also has a million hobbies. He has tried leathermaking. He's also big into ballistics and bullet reloading, which sounds really macho, but it's actually a very tedious, science-based pursuit. He's a total nerd. He plays stand-up bass and is in a band. He has a side business doing digital cartography. He's always doing something.

17. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 6, 2013

Ha I can relate to this! My husband's hobbies have included: rockclimbing, photography, harmonica, kites, RC plans, RC helicopters, salt water fish tanks, ACTUAL tanks, tuba, and scuba diving. Unfortunately, his hobbies are on the expensive side, which is why I've taken so long to really try something out.

I like the idea of looking into the community college though-I bet they have a ton of classes that I never bothered looking into when I was in school!

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2013

Cycling. Yes, it's a hobby as well as a sport/physical activity.

All my bikes I've built from the entirely myself except for welding the frame. That includes lacing the wheels.

19. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 6, 2013

If a hobby is defined as something that takes up all of your free time and money, I guess mine is commuting.:lol:

Actually, I have a bunch of hobbies. The main ones are motorcycles and camping (and combining the two).

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2013

I think that reading can count as a hobby. I LOVE reading. If I'm not in the middle of three books at the same time, it's because I'm in the middle of four. :lol:

I love camping. My hoosband and I are planning a couple of short camping trips this summer. Since we live in the desert, we'll probably have to drive up to the mountains or to the coast to find cooler weather for camping. I'm excited!

I'm involved in a few different emergency preparedness groups, so there are a few different hobbies rolled into one there: first aid classes, marksmanship classes, researching the geology of the area, map-reading practice (I'm still really bad at this), researching edible and medicinal plants, etc.

21. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2013

Dancing- does that count? I love dancing with my esposo who is a FABULOUS dancer. Mostly latin music of course ;) I still don't know how to tango, I'd love my esposo to teach me.

I also love trying new restaurants. I'm a big fan of food and booze!

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2013

Reading is my favorite!

I also cook, quilt, and refinish furniture.

Does napping count? I'm really, really good at napping.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 6, 2013

Napping should count as a hobby! lol

I nap all the time in the summer until my sleep debt gets balanced out.

24. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

knitting

crochet

embroidery

I started herb gardening with the hope of doing some medicinal tinctures this year

I have chickens, and I enjoy watching them/feeding them treats/improving their home

I compost, build raised beds and keep on trying to grow tomatoes in Colorado

reading

writing slowly away at my novel

Pinterest eats a lot of time but also supplies recipes, craft and upcycling ideas

cooking

baking

thrift shopping

I have done burlesque classes and enjoy them, but the costumes are expensive and I'm not ready to try to combine a professional burlesque career with teaching, so there's only so far you can go. I could be creating routines just for me if I wanted to..but I'm tired and pregnant

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

Recently started making gnome doors for out back on trees. I made one on Birch yesterday.
    Writing for children (book)
    Cooking (not baking though) Love veggies dishes of all kinds

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2013

woodworking:up:, fishing:thumb:, spoiling grandchildren:cool:, and internet communications :whistle:

27. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 7, 2013

Knitting,reading,cooking, baking, and canning are my current hobbies. I also like riding with my husband on the Harley, fishing and hunting.
    I've done cross stitch and scrapbooking in the past, but have not done either in years.
    I am currently looking into creating items for Teacher Pay Teachers. I am hoping to get that going this summer.

28. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jun 7, 2013

Crocheting is the biggest one. I'm at the age where many of my friends are getting married so a nice-sized, useful, pretty afghan for the around $30-$40 each means I can splurge for the nice yarn, but for a legitimate reason. As long as I can find 50 or so hours to make it.

I taught myself to knit because I wanted a tea cozy as well.

Other than that my hobbies are reading, hiking, and volunteering, Although I was just hired to do what I volunteer for, so now I get paid. :)

I also like to research and work on my genealogy.

29. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

Jun 7, 2013

My husband would be all over that in two seconds. I don't think we have any groups like that around here, however. And I love marskmanship classes.

My husband was a geography/geology double major and tries to explain to me how to properly read maps all of the time, but I've never been very good at it. I'm just not a directionally oriented person. We can go anywhere, and if you ask him which direction a certain mountain is in, he automatically knows. I almost think it's a bit of an innate talent.

30. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 7, 2013

Metal detecting. :D

Aside from that, my dogs and frogs are a fun hobby, in their own right.