What High School Classes can I teach with Foundational Science (/ Physicas subtest III?)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Rodge88, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rodge88

Rodge88 Rookie

Feb 22, 2017

I am confused by the science CSET options as there are the 2 general foundational subtests I and II plus 4 specific subject tests for subtest III. What can you teach with the foundational credential and for the full science credential do you have to pass all 6 to teach any subject?

For instance the foundational credential says you can teach introductory courses. Is that "Science 7" such as 7th grade middle school. Or does that include high school Biology and Chemistry, but just not honors or AP bio or chem?

To get the standard Science credential it says to pass subtest III in your area of specialization. If I got this in physics I assume I could teach all levels of physics. But would I also be able to teach Chemistry and Biology? Or would I have to take those subtets as well for subtest III?

Thank you for your time.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2017

The foundational-level credential authorizes a person to teach courses that are intended for students in about grade 9 or below: general science survey courses such as your Science 7 and courses that are labeled "physical science" (includes concepts from physics and chemistry plus maybe bits of earth science) or "life science" (mostly biology but with concepts from environmental science and, these days, bits and pieces of biochemistry).

The standard science credential still allows you to teach those courses but, on passage of Subtest III in the area of specialization, adds college-prep-type courses in the area of specialization. If your specialization says "Physics", you can still teach physical science or life science as above, and you can teach any physics course up through AP (well, subject to faculty politics), but you're not going to be teaching anything labeled "Chemistry" or "Biology" or "Earth and Space Science" until you've passed the requisite test and obtained the requisite paperwork.

4. Rodge88

Rodge88 Rookie

Feb 22, 2017

Thank you very much for your response. I was afraid that may be the case. So to be able to teach all sciences you need to pass 6 tests. Seems a little unfair that math only takes 3, history 3, and English 4.