What Have You Teacher Parents Gotten Your Child's Teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherSandra, Dec 17, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2008

I've already received some pretty nice gift; one being a $40 gift card! While I could never afford to give that to my son's teacher (he's in Jr. High and has 7 teachers); I'm curious to know...what have you gotten your child's teacher?

I do buy gifts for ALL my son's teachers because they are all wonderful teachers and I just can't "forget" any of them. WHen my son had just one teacher, I was able to spend a little more.

Can you tell me what you're gotten your teacher?

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

I got desk-top post it note dispensers for all of my kids' teachers. They have a nice leather "looking" cover with 3 sizes of post-its in them. Seemed like a useful gift that I would like to get.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2008

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2008

Coffee/dinner gift cards
    Nice ornament (not teacher-themed)
    Journal and nice pen
    Gift card for a bottle of wine

No mugs, candles or "apple-themed" gifts!

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2008

It depends on how well I know the teacher. The past two years I have gotten personalized stationery in a style that I know the teacher would like. This year, my daughter's teacher is a little harder to get to know; I went to one of those design-your-own-purse parties and had a little key-chain wallet made. I figure her teacher is young and probably goes out, so having something small to carry would come in handy. I put a gift card to the local independent bookstore in it. The aide in her class got two small snowman nutcracker ornaments and a starbucks card.

When she gets to junior high and has several different teachers I may have to rethink.

7. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

$25 Barnes and Noble gift cards. Not very original, but I haven't had a chance to get my shopping done. I had to have my husband pick up the gifts... I couldn't make it too difficult for him.:lol:

8. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

I already got a present from one of my 7th grade students. The 7th grade has four different teachers and he gave each of us a pretty necklace.

Gift cards are always good; so is a lot of the other stuff mentioned on here.

I second the idea of "no mugs, candles or apple themed things", though! I love candles, but I have too many already!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 18, 2008

:lol: I got my child's teacher tin punched apple candle holders! :lol:

But she is the apple-y, candle-y type.

Last year, I got her teacher a plug in air freshener, some Febreze spray, and a gel candle that smelled good. She and I are good friends, and she was always complaining about her room smelling bad!

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 18, 2008

Oh, and I could add hand lotion to the do-not-buy list. I get so much of it. I usually put it all in a basket on my desk and let the kids use it too. I get a LOT of Bath and Body Works lotions...

11. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 18, 2008

My son is only 11 months old - he goes to daycare five days a week and has four rotating teachers. Since he's so young and there are so many, I decided to do homemade gifts this year. I did cookie mixes in jars and hot chocolate ice cream cones - nicely decorated and with personalized labels. For his two regular teachers, I added in some B&BW antibacterial lotion, since they work with babies all the time.

If my son were in grade school, I would have done something completely different.

12. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

I bake and give an ornament and gift card to Barnes and Noble.

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 18, 2008

DD gift cards, and a set of notepads , although for Olivia's teacher, I should have got thank you notes, she seems to need them

14. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

Do you say this because she doesn't send them? I never give a gift expecting a card for it...I give it as a thank you myself, so I don't expect another thank-you back...it could go in cycles forever otherwise!

15. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

I am a bit disappointed....

After reading some of the posts, I was very disappointed in our Christmas spirit. Perhaps those that are venting about apples, lotions, mugs, and candles being given all the time should think of the true meaning of the holidays. Isn't it enough that your students and their families are thinking of you? Does it really matter if it is the 45th mug you received? I work in a low-income area where the kids don't even bring in their school supplies. I didn't receive not one Christmas present last year. I wasn't in the least disappointed. Might we remember that money can be tight for people at this time and especially during our current economy. I myself am struggling to make ends meet, but felt that it was important to acknowledge my children's teachers. I wish I could do more, but it just isn't possible right now. Maybe we should all look up the Legend of the Poinsettia and remember that no matter what type of gifts are given, they are special because they come from the heart.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

I gave my child's teachers American Express gift cards. He has two teachers. Ornaments for the specials teachers. I did nothing for my middle schooler's teachers and I don't feel good about that at all.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

:( It's quite alright Lemon. My son has 7 teachers! And though I couldn't afford expensive gifts; I wished them a Merry Christmas with a small inexpensive gift. :love:

I'm sending you a PM.

18. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

I agree!! Some of the comments kind of made me feel bad about what I was thinking of doing for my son's teachers. But we're really short on money this year and ultimately, I decided that what mattered is that I was showing them my appreciation. I hope the recipients of my gifts feel the same way.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

Mrs. Q,

Don't ever let ANYONE make you feel badly about something you give from the heart.

As Christmas approaches and tempers grow shorter, people are starting to lose focus on the big picture. This isn't the Annual Gift Grab, it's a celebration of the birth of a baby many years ago. Any gift of appreciation you get is simply that-- a gift to show that you appreciate what these people have done for your son. It should be received with appreciation.

Should money be too short, or need to be diverted elsewhere, a note of appreciation makes a fine gift.

20. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I whole-heartedly agree with this! We are all tired this time of year, and it's easy to lose perspective on that true, wonderful origin of this holiday. We give because we are thankful, we receive because we are thanked. The best gifts are the ones that cost nothing, that extra hug, the "I love you Mrs. B" and so on. I am truly blessed.

21. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

I would have been more than grateful to receive simple notes of thanks from my students and their parents. I wonder if I would have received more if we would have had school yesterday.

I agree with the past few posters. Don't feel badly about what you have given if it was given with heart.

22. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

Thanks ladies!

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

I gave both of my daughters' teachers a big hug and a thank you for treating them as special people (they sure are to me!). Now that school has let out, I have time to think of what to give them, more of a new year present. One will get a pashmina like this, and the other a bottle of wine, I think. I'm not a wine connoisseur, so that is a bit tricky. Any tips?

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

The point of this post was to get recommendations FROM teachers about what to get FOR teachers. So, some teachers made some suggestions of what not to get, because most teachers already have several of those items. They are making recommendations of some items that might be a little more useful. Why would this disappoint you? No one is saying you should reject these gifts if you DO get them, they are just making recommendations, which is what the OP requested. And because money IS tight, many of us are trying to make sure our gifts ARE as useful as possible.

25. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2008

I think my favorite gift this year was a drawn picture of one of the boys in the class with him, his mother, and myself in it and I will love you forever written on it.

26. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Dec 22, 2008

One of the ladies I work with said in the past (before she worked full time) subbed for a day for her son's teacher as a Xmas gift. I thought that was really cool. She was a certified teacher, the school didn't pay her for the day, and the teacher wasn't charged with a leave day.

For my daughter's teacher & TA, I did a cute basket (Dollar Tree) and filled it with their favorite sodas and a bag of candy, and a small note pad. I think it only cost me $15 for both of them.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2008

What an amazing idea; the gift of time is one teachers need and value. I'm sure that this was a gift that will never be forgotten.

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2008

Super idea!

29. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Dec 23, 2008

My best gift this year was from a mom up at the post office a few weeks ago. She couldn't remember my name, but remembered I had her daughter in 1st grade Reading Recovery 10 years ago! She gave me a big hug and told me how well her daughter was doing in high school and would soon be driving. It made me feel like all of those reading lessons really did make a difference in a student's life!!!!!!!!!

30. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2008

aww...I think that's terrific and refreshing to know that your hard work has paid off and yay; you got to hear about it. :love: