What Have You Gotten for Teacher Appreciation?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms. I, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 6, 2011

Well, it was sausage and cream cheese bake (the best stuff)
    Cheesy hash brown bake. MickeyD biscuits and such.
    OJ. Plus desserts left over from yesterday (home made cheese cake, choc cake etc.)

2. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 6, 2011

I've also had a parent who has sent me little gifts each day of the week. Monday she sent me a Febreeze candle with a card and a permission slip to enter my name into a contest. Tuesday she sent a little note pad. Wednesday she sent cookies shaped as Star Wars characters (her son loves Star Wars-actually most of my class does), with a sticker that said May the Force be with you. Yesterday it was pens. Today she sent an email thanking me for the year and said her son was coming with something small. I wonder what it could be...

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 6, 2011

We got some stand to stick something in from our P and a pen. That's it....Happy "staff" week to us (that's what they call it at our school and it drives me NUTS)

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 6, 2011

We don't have a PTO so our front office takes care of everything.

Monday: breakfast
    Tuesday: candy treat in our boxes
    Wednesday: lunch catered by Outback Steak House
    Thursday: salty treat in our boxes
    Friday: ice cream at our faculty meeting

:)

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 6, 2011

Today we got some mini-candy bars (and a GIANT Symphony bar) taped to our walls with little notes--like "Thanks for the (Mounds Bar) of work you do!". It was sweet--now I need to grab a chair and peel them all off the wall :)

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 6, 2011

We got a notepad/portfolio thing with the school logo and there was a cake in the office.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 6, 2011

We get dinner at a nice restaurant as a school next week.

8. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 6, 2011

We got alot this year. It was sponsered by the Professional Development Team (which I lead) and Student Council.

Monday- School Bags (Which included notepads, Gift Cards to Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts, 3 Newly Designed School Pens (per Teacher), School Designed Candy Treats, and some other stuff.
    Tuesday- T-Shirts, Crunch Bars that read, "Thanks for your help at Crunch Time."
    Wednesday- Lunch (All the Staff voted on the Place. It was Olive Garden.)
    Thursday- Breakfast, Academic Planning/Lesson Plan Books for the 2011-12 School Year, Paperweights that read, "You Inspire Me.", and Mugs that had our School Name, Logo, and our name's on it.
    Friday- Cake, Plants, and a Big Apple Poster that read our names, Example: Mr. Andre Green, 3rd Grade, Room: 324

9. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

May 7, 2011

Nothing, nada, nunca.

10. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 7, 2011

Very nice

Our school's PTO did a really nice lunch with great food, flowers and candy on all the tables. Then they gave us each $20 in gift certificates that can be spent at dozens of local businesses. They also gave us $25 to spend on classroom supplies! I was surprised and very thankful to be treated so nicely.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 7, 2011

As for those of us who got zero acknowledgement for Teacher Appreciation; I've noticed it's all part of the growing modern management philosophy - especially with the younger administrators - not just in school districts, but in the private sector as well. Which begs the question, if you're going to wipe your backside with me, why on Earth would you EVER expect me to do anything over and above the call of duty for YOU??? :dunno:

12. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 7, 2011

Well, that's a lovely attitude. I, for one, am considered a "younger administrator" and I busted my butt last week baking, creating, crafting gifts and goodies to make my teachers feel appreciated.

All of my principal friends did the same.

Don't remember the last time we had an Administrator Appreciation Week, though. :(

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 7, 2011

Our PTO has no money so I was not expecting anything. Then we get an email from our principal telling us Friday we would have a light breakfast and something small for each of us in our box. I was expecting a nice card and instead got a voucher for $100 to order items for my classroom next year. I am still shocked and so excited. Now the pressure of how to get the best value of that $100 :)

14. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

May 8, 2011

Nice surprise-$100!! Also,at my school, we have Boss's Day in October where many of us donate/appreciate the administrators. They also receive anything PTO does for the staff during the year. Plus, at Christmas ,we are "expected "to donate money (and thus sign the cards)for gift cards or certificates for P and AP. With 80ish staff members, they each get a nice chunk of change. It is obviously not required, but you know how that goes....Some teachers feel pressured or obligated. It always causes some interesting discussions!:)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 8, 2011

I don't work in a school with a "younger" administration and we got nothing. In my school, everything is about what we can do for them and how things look on the outside. They seriously do nothing to acknowledge us. It's ok though. I'm not counting it towards the 294 reasons I'm looking for another job :)

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 8, 2011

We acknowledge our administration on 'Boss's Day':love:

17. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

May 8, 2011

We acknowledge our Administrators on Boss's day where they get more than a teacher would normally get the entire Teacher Appreciation week. While I think it is terrific what you did for your team, that is not a normal practice (at least in my neck of the woods). I do agree that the Administrators around here have that mentality but it is certainly not segmented by age. You have Administrators old and young who are this way.

18. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 8, 2011

We didn't have a Boss' Day in my neck of the woods. Honestly, it doesn't matter much to me as I'm not in this profession for an appreciation week/day, etc. I enjoy the job for other reasons.

I responded, however, because I personally have a pet peeve with attitudes that are very "glass half empty". Doesn't seem to get anybody anywhere, particularly when its blamed on an entire generation of administrators without any basis.

On the flip side, I'm trying to be empathetic enough to envision what it would feel like if my teachers received zero recognition during a very important and special week. I'm sure it WOULD be frustrating.

Nonetheless, not lumping all of "us" into the same category would be nice (I recognize you said you agree with this....I'm just now speaking out loud). :)

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 8, 2011

Our superintendent had a frank talk with our district administrators this year. He told them with budget and staff cuts, they were going to have to find ways to raise morale and show appreciation in order to keep people feeling safe and happy in their jobs. I think it's worked. My principal has always done a good job of showing us how much she cares for us, but my friends in other schools have noticed a difference this year.

For all of you who are administrators or admins in training (or hoping to be an admin one day), If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students is a great resource of ideas for rewarding your staff.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 8, 2011

I had a parent give me a candle set for Teacher Appreciation/Mother's Day. Maybe because she's a teacher herself? I was just so surprised!

21. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

May 8, 2011

I wouldn't have known it was Teacher Appreciation week if I hadn't seen it on here. Obviously, nothing was acknowledged at my school. Not a surprise really at all. Didn't expect it so not disappointed. I teach at secondary so we don't have a PTO or PTA group so if anything it would come from administration. We didn't do anything for Boss's Day either so it all works out. Besides in our school, there are only certain people the administration would even acknowledge anyway.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 8, 2011

I asked my DS if anything was being done at his High School. He told me that they don't "do" Teacher Appreciation at his school. There is a PTA at the school so I don't know if they did anything.

I did suggest to him that he tell his teachers thank you for everything that they have done for him. :love: I don't think he did though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.