What Have You Gotten for Teacher Appreciation?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms. I, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2011

Since I'm at a different school daily, I don't know, but the school I was at yesterday has a cute thing going on this week. The office made up little passports & each day for lunch, their passport would be stamped & the teachers were fed a pretty big variety of foods from a different country. Yesterday was Greece. Today is Mexico for Cinco de Mayo. I wished I hadn't missed Japan from earlier in the week! :)

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 5, 2011

I got an advertisement in the mail from a bank that offers benefits for teachers. :blush:

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 5, 2011

Student Council (that I advise) gave giant cupcakes to all teachers and staff. 3 of the cupcakes had stickers on the bottom and the person that got one of those cupcakes got to choose from 3 different restaurant gift cards.

Admin gave teachers beautiful pastries for breakfast.

I could eat neither the cupcake nor the pastry because of my diet, but it was still fun. :)

5. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 5, 2011

Our principal brough in muffins and fruit.

6. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 5, 2011

I got a bag (basically Wal-mart bag with our school district name) and a small pastry. We get lunch tomorrow.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 5, 2011

Our week has been awesome! On Monday, the PTA made a breakfast. On Tuesday, we had an assembly where they talked about how important the teachers are for the school and such and then they had a different student come up and say something nice about each teacher and give them flowers. Yesterday the PTA brought us lunch. Today after school one of the parents is offering a free yoga/pilates class in the gym. Our principal/AP also wrote each letters saying what they appreciate about us with a starbucks gift card included. Tomorrow there is supposed to be a "surprise" assembly as well as desserts at lunch from the PTA. We've also gotten a small gift in our boxes each day (pencils/rulers with our name on them, etc.)

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2011

waterfall, you guys are getting hooked up!

9. sewlo

sewlo Rookie

May 5, 2011

I work in a fairly affluent district. Our school had theme days for students. As a specials teacher I sometimes get overlooked, but I have gotten quite a few things!

Monday students were encouraged to bring in note pads, note cards, etc. I got several sets of cards, post-its, paper, etc -- much needed! Our local Chick-Fil-A had teacher appreciation day so I got free dinner, and another Chick-Fil-A gave us all coupons for a free sandwich.

Tuesday a local chiropractor came in and offered a free massage ... and now I think he's got a new client! :) Plus, he offered a GREAT coupon for us to use at his office. Admin provided banana splits.

Wednesday students were encouraged to bring in flowers, and I got several tulips, lilies, roses, etc. So fun! A local radio station provided us with donuts and coffee. A student also gave me a Chili's $10 gift card -- yeah!

Today was treat day. I got some chocolate, delicious banana bread, and a couple free lunches from the cafeteria (from a fellow teacher who has children in the buildling). Admin provided chips and salsa.

Tomorrow I'm not sure if I'll get anything, but they are providing lunch for us! Grilled burgers and hot dogs.

There is no question I work in a school that is affluent. I am thankful for the students, parents, and admin who are able to support us in this way!

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 5, 2011

PTO at both my schools provided lunch. One was chicken alfredo, salad rolls and strawberry shortcake. The other was great BBQ from the local business. Got a nice glass from each school with our mascot on it. I wont use the one with the bulldog though.

11. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

May 5, 2011

Last year the parents did a huge lunch for us for two days and we all got gift cards.

Sadly, this year none of us have received anything. :(

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 5, 2011

Lunch today...last year's PTO rocked...this year, not so much!

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 5, 2011

Yeah everyone is saying it's the best week they've done for us so far! We have a small but very dedicated PTA. Our admin is always great about recognizing us and showing their appreciation...we'll often get little notes attached to candy in our boxes saying things that they appreciate us for. Such a small thing that works wonders for morale!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 5, 2011

That's more than I got. I'm jealous!

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 5, 2011

We are spoiled this year!
    Our PTO has been giving us gifts at the end of the day.
    Monday it was a bag of mints and Yorks that said "You have MINT so much to us this year!"
    Tuesday was a bag of popcorn that said "Just POPPING up to say Thank You!"
    Yesterday was a package of Extra gum that said "You are EXTRA special to us!"
    Today it was "berry" jellies that said "We appreciate you BERRY much!"

Our Adoptors have also spoiled us big time.
    Monday they catered lunch from a local restaurant.
    Tuesday they
    Wednesday they treated us to Sonic Happy Hour.
    Today they had Chocolate day with tons of chocolate treats in the lounge.
    Tomorrow is an ice cream social, and a free massage.

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 5, 2011

Wow, lots of special treatments being done! How very cool.

Usually the PTO does a lunch for us and we get a small gift from admin. This year we have gotten nothing. I don't care about the small gift but I'm bummed about the lunch. Not so much because the lunch is so fabulous, but because about 50 people are being RIFed at the end of the year, and well, that just makes it an extra bad year to not do something. Morale is pretty low. Usually we have 200 people attending the citation banquet honoring retirees and those with 25 years service. This year we have maybe 100 planning to attend. So anyway, the lunch would have been something nice during a time that the mood is not great.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 5, 2011

Today we got a pack of notepads with our names and school information on them. :)

Plus, the student council delivered polar pops after lunch...

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2011

The PTO encourages families to bring in flowers. We are given a vase on Monday that says "Thanks a bunch!" and kids bring in flowers throughout the week. By the end of the week, we have a pretty bouquet. On Tuesday, the PTO provided breakfast, which consisted of muffins and fruit.

Our superintendent gave us a mug that contains the district logo.

Today, Student Council (which I advise) provided treats in the lounge (salads, desserts, chips & dip, veggies, fruit, and other munchies).

It's interesting how much variety there is amongst schools. At another school in my district, the PTO gives Applebees and Kwick Trip gift cards, and provides lunch and breakfast.

19. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

May 5, 2011

School shirt, cake,ice cream, Cinco de mayo lunch, and a BBQ tomorrow.(early release day:))

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 5, 2011

We had ink pens in our mailboxes on day this week. Today we got goodies and flowers from the student council. Tomorrow we're getting catered lunch. The Beta club always brings us goodies, too.

21. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 5, 2011

Whats an adoptor?

22. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

May 5, 2011

Monday the entire staff received a free meal from Chipotle (and we got to pick what we wanted!) We also received a free coupon book from PTA.
    Tuesday my homeroom mom brought me flowers and had my kids make cards. They were so adorable!
    Today my homeroom mom gave each of my kids a gift to give to me. I received a new stapler (much needed), electric pencil sharpener (MUCH needed), paper, construction paper, index cards....basically a bunch of supplies to get me started for next year.

It's been a perfect week!

23. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 5, 2011

We were given permission to leave an hour early yesterday. Kids left at 1. We did test training until 2. Principal said we could leave. We left.

24. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

May 5, 2011

Our PTO has been amazing this week! On monday we had a wonderful lunch catered in and the principal grilled hamburgers. On Tuesday we recieved a free movie pass. Yesterday we had an amazing breakfast served (anything you could imagine for breakfast was on there). This morning each teacher was given a small bag of chocolate. I believe tomorrow we are getting a gift card of some kind. ALSO we get to wear jeans all week!!

25. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 5, 2011

I guess teacher appreciation doesnt exist in my school. If it is a special week, nobody told us.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 5, 2011

Tuesday: PTO made breakfast
    Wednesday: P had Subway brought in
    Thursday: Grab bag, it was a small bag with a juice box, orange, gum, sucker, crackers & cookies.
    Friday: PTO is doing a catered lunch for us.

27. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 5, 2011

Our support staff always has a themed lunch for the teachers. Last year was "slumber party." They transformed the art room into a girly (all female staff that week) including beds, a "dance" area, movies, nail polish station, finger foods and frozen underwear! All of the staff and students were invited to wear pajamas.

This year we had a "Taste of Italy" and the support staff served us Italian food while dressed up as waiters (including fake mustaches).

Such a treat!

This year our PTO has spoiled us. Monday they provided pastries for breakfast, Tuesday we each had flowers on our desks, yesterday we received Thirty-one totes with some helpful items, today a gift bag with lotion and hand sanitizer. They really went all out!

28. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 5, 2011

A doughnut.

One of the other teachers brought in a box of doughnuts for us. I kind of considered that circular shape symbolic of the way they've treated us.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2011

A bountiful breakfast Tuesday from our PTO plus $10 gift cards to a local lunch place. Breakfast Wednesday catered by Huntington. Tomorrow the superintendent is hosting snacks for us.

30. Math

Math Cohort

May 5, 2011

I don't know if this counts being a HS Student.. I gave 3 teachers poems

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 5, 2011

I bet they appreciated it.

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 5, 2011

It would help if I spelled it correctly! School adopters are local businesses that support specific schools. Each school in our town has a list of adopters that helps out with events and other things at the school. They meet monthly with school administration, teacher representatives, and parents. Some of them are only involved with one school, while others are involved with multiple schools. They have also made certain gifts to the schools (like a laminater the year our school opened, or a Cricut this year), or sponsored programs such as our food closet which provides weekend snacks for students.

33. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 5, 2011

Oh! And I forgot to mention we've had daily drawings for gifts that the Adopters have donated throughout the week. I think there is a gift for every staff member.

34. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 5, 2011

Math, this is kinda what I recieved except they were letters from about 15 students. They were awesome, made me cry. I will cherish them forever. :wub:

Although I must say, teacher appreciation week at my high school is a WWAAAYYY different experience than what most of you have posted. Ya'll get a lot of stuff

35. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

May 5, 2011

Ours was postponed till next week b/c of the crazyness of testing week. We'll probably have a breakfast one day from the parents' club, and lunch provided by the P, and some small tokens. Today we got Crispie Cream donuts from the union, as well as our annual $5 GC for the local dairy bar. Also 2 packs of peeps & another thing of easter candy in the mailboxes from a board member today with the slogan "Peeps for your peeps!"

In years past we've had some really nice things. Once we all got a 10 minute relaxation massage; another year we had a Hawaiian lunch (one of our 1:1s is Hawaiian and she prepared all of the authentic food, and decorated...it was wonderful!) We hope she does it again.

36. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 5, 2011

Oh! Thats pretty neat and great of the local businesses to do!

37. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 5, 2011

Ours is postponed as well....we have 2 weeks of state testing though so it will be the week after.

38. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 5, 2011

Not a thing! :(

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

Many of you got very nice gifts/treatment!

That's a shame guys!

40. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 6, 2011

I hear we get a nice breakfast today.

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 6, 2011

Well, today's the last day. I'll let you guys know if I get anyting ;)
    I had to laugh the other day when a few people mentioned they were hungry because they didn't have breakfast. I asked them well, why didn't you have breakfast? They said they skipped it because they assumed we'd be given something like bagels or donuts for teacher appreciation :lol::lol: Silly rabbits!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.