What have you done...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

- Met my husband at a panty raid (it's a good story - I tell it to my seniors at the end of the year)
    - Went to elementary and high school with Greg Evigan, who starred in BJ and the Bear and My Two Dads in the 80's - the weirdest thing was that I went to the choir show at my HS a couple of years ago, and he was there with his family! Hadn't seen him in 30 years. Turns out his nephew goes to our school.
    - Worked in Hollywood as a writer for over ten years.
    - Taught screenwriting at an alternative university.
    - Walked on the bridge of a Klingon Bird of Prey while visiting the set of Star Trek: The Voyage Home.
    - Went along as another writer friend (a sci-fi novelist) visited Leonard Nimoy in his office at Paramount.
    - Was complimented by the late John Houseman when I was writing for The Paper Chase.
    - Was insulted by Kate Jackson when working on Scarecrow and Mrs. King (this was actually a common occurance on the show; she hated the writers).

Since I became a teacher, my life is relatively routine!

2. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

Unknowingly lived in the home of people wanted by the FBI!!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Oh my gosh. I avoided opening this thread for days because I thought it was going to be "what have I done to prepare for the coming year?" I was going to need to answer nothing.

LOL

Okay, I haven't read anything and I am really not that interesting, so I'll read the responses and see if I remember anything.

4. amethyst24

amethyst24 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

-Have had garage and pit passes for NASCAR races for the past 6 years
    -Been in Victory Lane for a Sprint Cup race 5 times
    -Met nearly ALL of the NASCAR drivers and have pictures taken with many!
    -Met Josh Turner
    -Never had a detention
    -Graduated high school with a GPA above 4.0

5. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

I also can operate a combine during harvest. I can also pull a full grain wagon with a tractor and use the auger to unload said wagon into the bin.
    I have raised a baby bird and released it. Peep was a mockingbird and hung around my parent's house and made many more mockingbirds.
    I am a CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit holder and can (about 1/2 the time) beat my hubby at the range. I guess I didn't tell him I was a small bore rifle champion when I was in school.
    I have been on RFD-TV with a student that was up for a national award.
    During my first year teaching, we had two hurricanes about two weeks apart, missed several weeks of school, and had no teacher workdays for the entire year. Part of the school roof collapsed and the roads flooded.
    I have hand-raised several baby goats and, on several ocassions, had my hands inside a pregnant goat to pull a baby that was being stubborn.
    I snowplowed the driveway in 15 degree weather with 25 mph winds on a tractor with no cab. I did have a 62 pound Australian Shepherd in my lap and that helped a bunch.
    The first time I pulled a trailer was with our 1 ton crew cab dually. I had a 25 foot flatbed trailer with about 150 square bales of hay on it and had to make 5 turns in town. Luckily, all the power poles on the corners survived.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

I was thinking of starting a thread like this, but someone beat me to it. Here are some of the things I have done:
    -spent more time camping than in hotel rooms
    -spent one night of camping surrounded by a herd of buffalo
    -gotten lost mustiple times and found my way back
    -naivgated the majority of London public transport without getting lost
    -panicked and nearly passed out in the middle of presenting a lesson during student teaching
    -climbed every step to the outter dome of St. Paul's Cathedral
    -attended Mass in the longest continually active RC Church in the country
    -kept a diary/journal more or less continuously since I was 14
    -stood by helplessly while my brother seized for 5 minutes and felt guilty that it happened at all (I was watching him when it happened; he was 7)
    -bought a man. transmission car even though I didn't know how to drive it because the price was right
    -survived so many travel/vacation disasters I can't even list them all-everything from blown tires to exploding engines

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2009

I did this too. It was my first car and I couldn't even drive it home from the dealer! The next three cars/suvs were standard though, and my current car is the first automatic I've had since then. I miss the standard's gas mileage though!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

I forgot to include that I've held an authentic Poor Richard's Almanack and have the pictures to prove it.

9. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I read this as

bought a man.

I was wondering who.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

What a great thread, wish I had thought of it. So many amazing things!!!!

Respect to all of those who have served our country, and regrets to those of you who have lost loved ones and dealing with the tragedies of loses.

I suppose the most risque thing I've ever done was belly dance on t.v., I had a great looking stone in my belly button and the camera focused on it for several seconds. It's been years ago and my belly button was great.

I've climbed to the top of the pyramid at Chichen Itza.

Released baby sea turtles and watched mom sea turtles dig their holes and lay their eggs.

Been swimming in the Pacific, Mediterranean , and Caribbean.

Spent an afternoon sitting beside Ozzie Smith while he signed autographs.

Watched Chelsea Clinton dance in The Nutcracker.

Went to elementary through high school with Mike Huckabee.

Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Fed baby calves with a bottle.

Flown first class twice, it was a big deal to me.

NRA member and a concealed weapon permit card holder.

Hiked through a bamboo forest to get to the top of a waterfall on Maui and watched whales breaching.

Rode on a train from Paris to Nice.

Seen the Mona Lisa.

Been a chess master for a tournament of 150 kids.

Most importantly, raised two great kids.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 1, 2017

- Ran away from home on a Greyhound bus and crossed state lines and slept on park benches for a week before being arrested (I was a minor)
    - Breaking into my teacher's gradebooks and hacking my grades (I was not a good kid)
    - Participated in a medieval English archaeological excavation for a summer
    - Worked with extreme ultraviolet lasers powerful enough to give you cancer very quickly and blind you for two summers. (not necessarily in that order)
    - Classified and interpreted findings from Native American dig sites based on really old notes
    - One of only a handful of people trained in caring for one of the largest and rarest ancient Native American basket collections in California (darned if I remember any of it though)
    - Argued that the current explanation for infanticide in Hanuman Langurs is flawed based on analyzing data sets collected from primatologists.
    - Wrote an academic paper on how Neanderthals likely were not out-competed by modern humans but probably interbred with them based on evidence from multiple human archaeological sites (this was before this idea was commonly accepted, which now it is based on Neanderthal DNA sequences found in humans)

Some minor but interesting things:
    - Worked at Safeway stocking liquor and in the Starbucks kiosk
    - Worked as an assemblyperson putting together miniscule pressure sensors that they stick into your veins and push all the way up into your heart to measure the pressure there (involved hours of doing repetitive motions using a microscope)

Some things I hope to do:
    - Work at a space exploration agency and contribute to the furthering of human spaceflight
    - Learn to fly a plane

12. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 1, 2017

My claims to fame:

I have driven my car into a tree...than proceeded to exit said car and attempted to walk into a complete strangers house....DISCLAIMER: I was in a seizure and I thought I was at home. Seriously, my fight with epilepsy is the stuff stand up comedians dream of....

I have had Brain Surgery and woke up with staples in my forehead. (Seriously, who knew Office Depot was a cover for a Hospital..

I have performed a wedding

Been in community theater

Almost drowned in the Salt River in AZ

Been to the edge of the Grand Canyon and almost fallen off.....

Yep...its official i should not be allowed out of the house

13. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Apr 2, 2017

I have visited almost every state in the United States except for New Mexico, Alaska, and Hawaii.

I have climbed Mount Olympus in Greece, and the full climb to the top took two days.

I played Varsity Squash in both high school and college. (Many people have never heard of squash.)

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 2, 2017

About 14 years ago (while in college), I was roofied at a bar. I let someone buy me a drink and don't remember anything after that. I woke up in the hospital the next morning, though, with my friends by my side (I guess I was unresponsive and they called an ambulance).

15. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Apr 2, 2017

Rode an elephant multiple times.

As a teenager I used to sneak my boyfriend into the house and hide him in the closet hahaha.

Bought a house with my husband at 22.

Won a watermelon eating contest and a root beer drinking contest. Different days, of course!

Milked a cow. I'm a city girl, so it's not normal for me!