What have you caught from your students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HWilson, Feb 16, 2012.

1. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Feb 16, 2012

I've been sick for more than a week now and this morning I started thinking about it .... What have you caught from your students? For example: stomach viruses, flu, head lice.. just to name a few.

I don't know of anything specifically I've caught from my students. Now there have been times I was sick along with many other students and knew I must have picked it up at school, but it was simple colds and stuff of that nature.

I will say, last spring I had a little bout with staph infection and I can not identify it exactly, but I'm pretty sure I got it from a homebound student's home I had been going to regularly.

3. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 17, 2012

My first day of my very first volunteer position, I caught strep throat. Other than that, I've had several colds as well as the flu. I get flu shots and wash my hands compulsively now! I still usually get sick once I start at a new school. My new job involves going to different places, so I'm hoping my immune system bulks up a little!

I've heard a little bit of rosemary oil behind the ears can ward off lice. Anyone have experience with this? I bought some but I'm afraid of using it because I don't want to smell too strong. I mostly wear my hair up as well. I had lice when I was in elementary school, there's no way I'd be able to handle it now! Yuck.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2012

At my last job, I had strep every year, including one year that I had it 4 times. I haven't had it since I moved, so I would guess it was the ventilation system.

I brought mono home to my BF when we first starting dating, but I guess I had already been exposed. In fact, since he has no siblings and there are no kids in his family at all, when we first started dating, he would get EVERYTHING. I was just passing on germs to him.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 17, 2012

I've caught colds, including sore throats here & there. A couple times fevers. But NEVER lice, pink eye or worse.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2012

The giggles! :D

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 17, 2012

My students have been coughing/sneezing all month. I have been wiping down everything with Clorox wipes. I make sure to wash my hands more than usual. I have not caught anything yet this year. In the past I have caught colds but nothing worse than that. I have a pretty good immune system I guess and I don't even catch anything from my husband when he's sick lol

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Feb 17, 2012

I worked in a daycare over the summer a few years ago and got lice. On the plus side, it made me make the short-short haircut that I had wanted for quite a while - I've kept the cut since then!

Other than that, I tend to not get sick from school... like ever. When swine flu was going around a couple years back I subbed many a time for a teacher who was out with it... never got sick. :)

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2012

Ugh, the flu, common cold, and strep/tonsillitis. I had never had strep throat in my life until I started at this school... and then had it four times in two years!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2012

I've built up my resistance. I also wash my hands frequently, have my own Kleenex box, don't eat any homemade student gifts, have students use wipes on desks once a week...

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 17, 2012

Serious lung and sinus infection that almost put me into the hospital (I was sick for 2 months and had a fever for over a week getting up to 104*) my first year of teaching.

Numerous colds that I just shrug off now.

Too many sinus infections to count.

And this week I got a new one: the STOMACH FLU! (Which I passed on to my hubby :( )

One student just got diagnosed with mono-- he's no longer contagious but GEEZ I just can't get a break at my school. Thankfully I stayed away from the pneumonia and bronchitis that has been going around grades 3 and 4 downstairs.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 17, 2012

The worst thing was scabies. It took forever to get rid of. I once worked at a day care that did not have good ventilation. The steam from the DW keep the place damp, and I got sinus infections every month. I was so happy to leave that place and get better.

13. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 17, 2012

I get a sore throat every year. I'm just now getting over it, and my voice has been coming and going. I'm praying I never get pink eye or strep.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 17, 2012

When I started student teaching I caught a cold and it did not go away for 6 weeks. I think I kept getting it from the students. I worked every single day, - couldn't afford to take off, because then i would have had to make up all the days - and I only felt miserable some days. Since then I only catch something 1-2 times / year, but I don't think it's from the students.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 17, 2012

Two years ago, a handful of students passed walking pneumonia to each other. I ended up contracting it, too. Not pretty!

I got my tonsils removed in June 2011. Since then, I haven't been sick at all. My tonsils were causing me a lot of trouble (constant tonsillitis and severe sleep apnea)!

16. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 17, 2012

I think you win! Or lose? :dizzy:

17. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 17, 2012

I got pink eye last year from a kiddo of mine. It swelled up so much that I looked like someone had beaten me up.

I can usually fend off other sicknesses.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 17, 2012

Thanks, bison.