What Have You Been Worried About Lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 13, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

Not worried, but a little focused on the whole medical thing.

Last week I had a 4 month checkup with the radiation oncologist. He's a total sweetie, and was a rock during last year's radiation/pregnancy scare. But just going there brings it all back.

In mid November, I have a checkup with the regular oncologist. Again, I'm not worried, but it brings back the fact that this still isn't over. Ugh!!!

2. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

You're young!! Focus on the good things in your life (like spending time with your parents while you can). And eventually, you'll get hired! :)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Good luck Alice. You are such an inspiration!! I will remember the checking every 10th of the month because of you. :)

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2009

Well my worry about DD's health is over for the time being - she does not have mono, so it is probably swine flu or some other horrible flu. She is improving and her spleen is just fine! Yeah!

So for the moment, no worries!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Good luck, Alice!

Thanks, Peachy!

That's great, bonneb!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

Peachy~good luck tomorrow!!!

Alice~I'll be thinking bout you these next couple of months!

bonneb~I'm glad your daughter is on the mend.

I'm worried about whether dh will get deployed as soon as he finishes his national guard school, if aforementioned school will be out of state, and what I will do as a "single" parent for 3 months or longer if he's deployed, and how all of this will affect his REAL school that he's just started back up. I worry about landing a job in my school, and making sure I do everything right to ensure I stay there.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

I would have lived with my parents until my student loan and car was paid off if...they hadn't have moved out of the country:lol:. I didn't pay for room and board:blush:.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

I doubt my parents will move out the country any time soon, proud. My dad finally built his pole barn a few years ago and my mom got her new kitchen this year, so they're set for awhile now :).

9. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

Iam not eating ! drinking vitimin drinks but can't take food on at present...have dropped half a stone in weight !:unsure:

10. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 2, 2009

I graduated in May 08' with $71,000 worth of student loans. & to think that was only TWO years of college. If I tack on the $6,000 from community college that my parents are paying ... eh I don't even want to think about it. I am not too sure where your son has student loans from but have him look into maybe a graduated payment plan, or income based for the first few years. My loans are supposed to be $650 a month-- where I work now that is more than I can afford. I am on a plan where I pay 1/2 of each loan I have (I have 4). It comes to $203 a month for the 1st year, $303 a month after that 1st year, and after 3 full years it goes to $450 I believe. It may make paying it off seem like it takes forever BUT not having to figure out where I am getting the $650 from or asking my parents for money does help so much!!!

11. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 3, 2009

Thank you, Christeeena for assuring me that things can work out. I cringe every time I go to the mailbox, hoping yet another bill won't come in. So far, I think they are all in, and hopefully the damage isn't as bad as I had thought. I am meeting with my financial guy this week to get some advice from him, and I talked to someone at my bank this past weekend about how to consolidate. At least now I am getting some sleep. I was worried sick about it all last week.

Good luck with your own. It sounds like a good plan for keeping up with things. I will add it to our list of possible options.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2009

I hope you find help.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

I haven't mentioned it yet but I have been home sick for two days. I'm getting paranoid it may be serious. Obviously I am able to spend time on the computer so I'm not on my deathbed, but I'm afraid I've spent too much of that time researching H1N1...

14. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

I've done that many times myself. I've even convinced myself that I've had rare and serious illnesses, and needed to call a doctor fast!

I've found that it's always best to use common sense, don't research too much online and let your instincts and knowing your own body guide you to do the right thing.

Take care, I hope you get better real soon!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Calling a doctor is one thing, but researching possibilities online will make you crazy!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2009

Now that the new year is upon us, any worries?

None yet for me.

17. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 28, 2009

Financial worries, but that is all. I can't wait for 2010.

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 28, 2009

My school district sent all parents a link to a survey to review potential areas of cost cutting. The number one item was to cut teacher salaries; and number two was to discontinue admitting the children of faculty when the faculty lives out of district. I can't do a thing to change the outcome, so I am trying to let it go, but I would be gutted to change my daughters to our local school when I know how much better the one I teach in is for them. (Sorry, grammar).

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2009

No major worries. I always am concerned for my family's health and well-being but I wouldn't call them worries compared to others' major concerns. Did you ever read that story about putting all your troubles in a bucket and then having to choose from a roomful of trouble filled buckets? Most of the time you'd choose your own bucket. That's kind of where I am. I'm fortunate to have a great family (my own and my extended), a great job and marriage and relatively little to worry about. I pray for continued health and happiness...and I pray for those who are burdened.

Strange to go back to the very beginning of this thread (May '09) and know that some of the worries posted then are now gone for some or replaced by new worries, some worries persist for others. When we were young, my sister had a set of worry dolls she bought on vacation..she'd take out a doll for each of her worries...she always had a few out and she was probably about 12 at the time!

I wish you all the peace of the season and a good new year.

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2009

Shelly, I hope that these things work out for you. So far, no major worries for me. there is always something on my mind, though.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2009

I had a little pouch of worry dolls when I was young as well.

Here's what, rather who, I'm worried about: my sister, ninteen, left yesterday to join the Army Reserves.

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

Thanks!

Glad you're not worried about anything big right now!

23. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

Worry dolls...now that is a concept I would like to know more about. Are they just any old dolls? Or special ones? And where can you get them?

Once I had a student who was deeply missing a grandparent who had passed on. I had her write and draw about her feelings, then put them away in a covered shoebox I kept for her in the room. It seemed to help a bit.

24. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

Bless your sister, nineteen is so young. I hope it all works out for her. My friend's daughter has been in the army reserves for less than a year now, and it seems to have given her some direction and maturity. I will keep your little sis in my thoughts!

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2009

Thank you. It is young. She seems very nieve about it all, but I am wishing for the best. I have faith this will be great for her in the end.

Here's a picture of almost exactly what mine looked like:

[​IMG]

I was told to talk or think about my worries as I held a doll and then sleep with them so the dolls could take my worries away. Mine were in a puch I could wear around my neck. It's almost like prayer...

26. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Dec 30, 2009

Thank you for the picture. I love tiny, little things, and I love the concept. Now I have something new to keep my eye out for when shopping!

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 8, 2010

My diet

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

Getting older.

29. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 8, 2010

Being referred to the endocrinologist by my primary Dr.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

How frightening. Do you have any idea what's wrong?

For what it's worth, my varied medical background has also included some quality time with my endocrinologist. I had the right lobe of my thyroid removed last September. I had a goiter the size of a golf ball there.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns I can help you with.

31. MissSkippyjonJones

Apr 8, 2010

I have a goiter but when my Dr. did blood work, all of my thyroid levels are right in the middle of the average range. So he wants to rule out anything serious. :(

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

OK, so that sounds as though it's mostly preventative, just making sure.

My visits to the endo freaked me out more than they actually hurt. (I was recommended by my oncologist. 'Nuff said.) Hang in there and try very hard not to borrow trouble. Take it one step at a time and wait until you have news.

33. MissSkippyjonJones

Apr 8, 2010

Thank you! :)

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

If there's anything I can do to help, please feel free to PM me.

When's your appointment?

35. MissSkippyjonJones

Apr 8, 2010

They just sent in the referal yesterday so I am waiting to hear from the endocrinology dept. to schedule it. Thank you so much!

36. StrugglingTeach

StrugglingTeach Rookie

Apr 8, 2010

Work, work, work. Work is my primary stress right now and it is on my mind 24/7. :(

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 8, 2010

My husband is STILL out of work and is only getting piecemeal hours at a friend's office. The mortgage is a huge worry.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 8, 2010

Work, taking another certification test, taking summer classes.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

To be honest, right now I'm in a place where the concerns are all small.

Nope, not Polyanna.

But the black cloud has lifted and our worries are all manageable. We can make the mortgage, our jobs are secure, and everyone is healthy.

40. StrugglingTeach

StrugglingTeach Rookie

Apr 8, 2010

I've seen some of your posts on here and you seem like a positive person who truly loves her job. I would appreciate your feedback on my current work situation, if you don't mind. I posted about it on the New Teachers forum and it's still on the first page. I can't post a direct link because my post count isn't high enough. (No pressure by the way! Just if you feel like it.) :)