What Have You Been Worried About Lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 13, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2009

Ms. I, you're right, many people seem to be going through tough times.

For me, I've been worrying for over a year now, and I"m exhausted.

I'm scared about:

1) not having a job

2) how I'm going to pay for two mortgages (I know subbing will help pay, but I still worry)

3) when will things will finally start going right with our house- seems like everything we do to make our house better comes with something annoying, broken part, machine doesn't work, etc etc. We keep finding new things that needs repairing or fixing. We definitely bought a house full of problems! We bought it back in April and are so not close to moving in.

4) school- paying for school, how am I going to work and take my classes at the same time, many classes that I need are offered only during the day

5) I also stress about my DH's anger

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2009

Peachy, again, I hope everything improves quickly!

I worry about how many days I'll be available to work when the school year begins since I have to take 3 college classes too. I'd like to be able to work at leaswt 3 days a wk.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

I worry about my new job (I'm excited, but nervous). I left a perfectly good job because the grass is always greener. Now, I'm scared.

Would love to start doctorate school, but I'm already starting at a new school, new district, and new grade. So, I don't even dare.

I worry about spending enough quality time with my kids during summer. During school, life is sooo hectic. By time I get home I am tired and often cranky. I love this time, but it feels like it's slipping away so quickly. I have to go back to work end of July -so about 1 month.

I worry that my oldest will be grown and gone before i realize it. He's 12, but remember being 12 and that was only a couple of years ago (not really).

I worry and hope that while putting so much effort into being a great teacher, I don't somehow miss being a great mom.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

-no job
    -money
    -relationships
    -masters program

5. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jun 29, 2009

not having a job yet
    not being able to go to Portugal this Summer

If I get a teaching job this coming school year- which I hope I do - I will be worried about it...It would be my first job in a new country.

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

I worry about my Mom, who is 87, in a nursing home and very frail.

I worry about my own health-I'm not young, but too young for all my problems. I can't imagine living the rest of my life with all of this junk.

I worry about my son, who is 21 and after 3 years still isn't finished with a two year college and will begin his 4th year. He also told me he smokes marijuana. This is probably why he hasn't finished this 2 year program. This is my main worry.

I worry about my husband's health. He is 71 and as healthy as a horse, but so many healthy people seem to just DIE, no matter what their age.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 29, 2009

I worry about my 19-year old daughter who I suspect has anorexia. I drove her back to her college town last week.

8. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

JOb
    Money
    My future
    Family
    All I can do now is trust my God.

9. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

- Money
    - Relatives` health
    - My flat
    - My eldest daughter - cause she does not care about her studies- as she did last year.

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

Finding employment for the upcoming school year and my upcoming marathon training are the two biggies

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Isn't that brutal???

I missed a bazillion days this year-- more than the past 23 years combined. Then, around March, Brian caught a stomach bug. The first day, my 5'2" son cried for me to stay home. So I did, and cried for half the mornng, feeeling like an awful teacher for staying home AGAIN. The next day I sucked it up and went to work, leaving him with the sitter. So of course I cried all the way to work because I felt like such a bad mom.

12. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I worry about whether or not I'll be able to get pregnant.

I worry about my husband's deployment even though it's months away.

13. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I worry if I will be a good teacher or not ( I am working on my MAT degree in an alternative certification program. Hopefully that I will receive my degree and certification in 13 months). I am a career changer.

I worry about getting a job after I graduate.

I worry about surviving on student loans until I graduate.

I worry about my health. I am trying to lose 115 lbs. So far: 30 lbs lost. I worry about my family's health especially for my mom and dad.

I worry that I will be single for the rest of my life and not being able to enjoy having my own family.

I worry that I may be overwhelm or burnout because I have been in grad school for 6 years and counting.

That's it for today.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2009

Any more comments? :)

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2009

Right now, I'm worrying a lot about my future, I worry that something will mess up and I won't get my UI checks anymore, I worry about not passing my calculus class.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2009

Peachy, can I help you with Calc??

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2009

Well, right now, we're working on Absolute maxima and minima. I get the concept but I'm stuck on a couple of problems. Here's one problem that's driving me crazy:
    "How should two nonegative numbers be chosen so that their sum is 1 and the sum of their squares is (a) as large as possible (b) as small as possible." I spent hours trying various formulas. I really thought I had it and then when I found the derivative and tested it, it didn't come out right. I can't remember what the problem was but I knew it wasn't right as soon as I tested it. If you could help, that would be great! :)

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2009

Let x= 1st
    1-x = 2nd

f(x)= x^2 + (1-x) ^2
    = x^2 + 1 -2x + x^2
    = 2x^2 -2x +1

f'(x)= 4x-2
    f(x)=0 at x=2
    So 2 and -1 would be your ideal choice, but the problem specifies that they're non-negative. So the closest you can come is 1 and 0... the sum of the squares is 1.

b) To make the sum of the squares as small as possible, use 1/2 and 1/2

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2009

Oh my gosh! I know exactly what I did wrong. I got the same f(x) formula as you but I wrote them as squared roots! :rolleyes: *slaps forehead* Thank you so much!!!!!!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2009

No problem :)

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2009

A parent being rude and being a bully. She has now demanded a meeting with the principal, myself, and another teacher. I'm not too worried because I didn't do anything wrong, but it preys on the back of my mind. What will she come up with now? And how do I make it so that she feels successful so that she'll back off without giving in to her bullying?

I'm not going to post anything more about it, but be thinking positive thoughts my way at 1:45 on Tuesday.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2009

OOPS. I lied. Go down to

f'(x)= 4x-2=0.

x = 1/2, not 2. So that's your critical point, the one that will give you your absolute min.

To get your absolute max, given your constraints, go for the smallest non-negative numbers you can find-- so we're back to 0 and 1. My answers were right but my 7th grade math was off.. sorry!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2009

Yeah, I just got to that part and got 1/2. I thought I did something wrong so I erased it all and came back here to see what I did wrong. Thanks! My calculus teacher said that we're getting the concept it's the algebra that's tough! :D

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2009

Calculus isn't easy, good luck!

25. mrs.et

mrs.et Rookie

Oct 25, 2009

I've been really worried about my mental health lately. I really dislike my job...been a waitress for 10 years, but I don't know how to go about getting a different job that pays my bills. With the economy, plus the fact that I go to school during the day...I haven't been able to find any options. :(

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2009

ms.et, I can see how you'd be tired of waitressing after 10 yrs. After a while, I'm sure it's just like going through the motions.

Do you have any clerical skills to maybe get a seretarial or clerical job? How about working at a hotel? It may not pay much better than waitressing, but it's a change of pace/scenery.

Good luck w/ your endeavors.

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2009

No need to worry about the rude parent. She's canceled the meeting with the principal until Friday. Hopefully, she'll cancel again. She must have realized she was making a big to-do about nothing.

The parent who said we didn't have the right to give her child an F was a no-show today. I knew she wouldn't show.

No need to worry about money and if I'll make it to Friday. My son got a large check and gave it to me. Darling child.

What's left to worry about? Must be something.

28. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

I worry about my son paying his student loans. They are coming due soon, and they will eat up a big portion of his paycheck. I started helping out with the interest charges when I ran out of the money I had saved for him, but that's hardly made a dent. I plan on retiring soon, and don't want to start going into that money to help him out. I've co-signed on a couple of them, and that's a worry too.

I worry about consolidation. I don't even know where to begin!

I worry about healthcare. Now that he is no longer in school, he has to come up with the money to pay for it himself. His company doesn't pay that much of a percentage.

I worry that he will have to live with us forever.:eek: for him and for us!

Worry, worry, worry, that's why I'm on the computer instead of tossing and turnig in my bed!

I just don't know how kids can get ahead these days!

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 27, 2009

I'm worried about my daughter! She is sick and very far away from home! She either has mono, or swine flu!!!

The thing that worries me is that she has a lump below her ribs on the left side. That could indicate an enlarged spleen, which is could require surgery. This girl has barely been sick a day in her life!

So I am trying to stay calm and she is doing all the right things. So I should not worry right?????

30. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

This is your daughter:love:, and no matter what you WILL worry!

But you are doing the right thing in staying calm and keeping in touch with her on a daily basis. Continue to encourage her to do all she can to get to the bottom of this.

Let us know how things turn out. You will be in my thoughts!

31. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2009

That is my concern, too. With 3 young adult boys I think it is really hard for them to get ahead right now. I have told them, if you just keep your head above water in this economy that is a victory in itself. I hate watching my kids struggle. One of them came home for supper and acted like he was starving - told his brother he hadn't had any money to buy food and hadn't eaten in 3 days - ahh - hunger finally beat out pride. I worry this is the first generation that won't be better off than their parents.

32. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 27, 2009

I'm worried about...
    - Not being able to find a new job next year.
    - If I find a new job, it will be worse than the one I have now.
    - Not being able to buy a house over the summer.
    - Not being close to my family and thinking that it won't happen...
    - Being alone forever :(

33. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

I worry I will miscarry.

A woman at my school did a couple of weeks ago, and a friend of ours gf just miscarried too.

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 27, 2009

Crzy-I just realized you were pregnant-congrats! I'll be praying that your little peanut is safe and healthy-think good thoughts!!

35. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

I hear you. And the sad thing is, these kids (at least mine) grew up having so much, and being told that with an education their quality of living will be so much better. And now he is starting his adult life with so much debt. :(

36. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

Not being able to find a job next year
    Not being able to find another apartment.

37. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 28, 2009

Thanks Jem! I'm doing the very best I can to keep him/her safe :)

38. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

There is a whole FB scare going on in our school. Someone let someone else on our private FB page and that person took pictures of some things ... and now some of us are waiting to see if we would be written up... Some people for having pictures with alcohol and me for making a comment that some people think they know everything about behaviors and don't give others a chance. I am worried but stand by my statement and it is nothing that I haven't said at work to my co-workers and the admin...

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

I'm worried about my interview tomorrow! I worry that I will ramble, blank on a question, not answer a question well enough, etc.

40. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

You'll do great, Peachy!

I'm worried that I am never going to be able to get a full-time job and move out on my own again. I feel so guilty for still living with my parents even though they love having me here and I pay room and board.