What Have You Been Worried About Lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 13, 2009.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 14, 2009

And for all the Grey's fans...I am now worried about if Izzie is going to die or not!...still can't decide if I want her off the show or not

2. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

May 14, 2009

I'm wondering if everyone on this thread kind of knows each other, in which case I'm a stranger throwing in my worries out of the blue...sorry if that's the case. It's amazing how being invited to share your worries is so appealling... you carry these things around all the time and it can be such a relief just to say (or type)them.

*I worry about whether or not my bf of two years is "the one" for me. If he is, why am I so unsure and hesitant about moving forward in the relationship? If he's not, how will I handle the gaping hole that him being gone would put in my life?

*I also worry about whether or not I am really cut out for this job or not.

Prayers to all the other worriers out there.

3. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

May 14, 2009

Okay, not "to" all the worriers...I mean for!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2009

Ms.H, we actually don't know each other though some of us have been around long enough to know enough about other posters to make it seem that way. I think because we don't know each other makes it easier to share our worries. I'll be praying for you as well. Do you think it could be just the school where you teach that makes it seem like this job isn't for you? And about the bf, if him being gone creates that big of a hole, then maybe he is the one.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

To add to my previous list of worries-- yesterday's biopsy.

It's so discouraging to be back at the biopsy stage almost a year after the last one.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 15, 2009

I am sorry Alice -praying for good news

Here's my current list

I am worried about my oldest daughter who is just so lost right now . . I worry she will settle for less than her best because it is easier . . . I worry she won't take advantage of everything right in front of her . . . I worry she is making choices that have life long consquences . . .

I am constantly worried about my youngest daughter and her upcoming surgery , , I worry that she will lose her vision . . Will I be strong enough for her if she does . . . I worry that her brain malformation can not be fixed . . . I worry if we are making the right decision . . . I worry if she will forgive us if we haven't . . .

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 15, 2009

INteacher, just remind yourself that you are making the best decision based upon the best information you have at this time.

Looking back upon my life, I have made some choices that I wish I could reverse, but they were the best choices at the time.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 15, 2009

thanks old teacher for the very kind words

I am not a "worrier" by nature but someone posted earlier about how good it felt to just spill everything out

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 16, 2009

I am now worried about not going to my friend's shower. I woke up and feel horrible and am thinking of not going. I feel like everyone is going to think that I am always sick and cancel everything. And I am worried about being rude to cancel the last minute

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 16, 2009

My worry... hubby got pink slipped... the way the economy is, I hope he can find another job. We CANNOT make it on my paycheck alone. It is so tight with both paychecks.

11. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 16, 2009

I'm so sorry to hear you're back to the biopsy stage, Alice. My prayers to you.

INteacher, I am so sorry to hear about your younger daughter. It must be so scary to have her going into a surgery where she could lose her vision. Please keep me updated so that whatever happens I can offer my support.

Please remember your older daughter is going to make her own choices and live her own consequences. We want to protect our kids and keep them from harm's way, but at the same time we must let them live their own lives and learn from their own mistakes.

Sue, if you're not feeling well, don't go. Everyone will see you are low energy and will probably end up getting annoyed with you for spoiling a good time.

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 16, 2009

Oh no, that is a tough situation to be in! Is there any way you can tutor on the side or do some work on the side to bring in some more money?

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

I'm so sorry... what line of work does he do?

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 16, 2009

He was the custodian at one of the elementary schools. He had personality conflicts with the germaphobic principal. He is umpiring softball, too, so that is helping and in the fall he will have HS football to referee. His last day is in June and his pay is scattered over the year, so he will get his last paycheck at the end of Aug. So, we have time to find him something new, but still... I'm one that has to have that sense of security... one of the reasons I like the tenured part of teaching.

He applied for an instructional aide at another system's alternative/in-school suspension programs. He was getting pretty good pay as the custodian. I hope whatever he finds new will pay as good or we will still be in a bind. Having a 3 year old at home makes it hard for me to find an after school job if he happens to end up with something in the evenings.

I hope something works out.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

OK, if he's a softball umpire, can he COACH softball on some level?

Can he find a custodial opening in someplace other than a school-- perhaps a hospital?

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 16, 2009

Oh, he was a massage therapist for a while. Went to school for that. That didn't pan out around here. No one has the money for a massage. We are an hour either direction from a big city and they prefer someone live near by if someone were to call for a massage and want one soon after the call. So, that put a kink into that. WIth the massage therapy's 2 year degree, it did give him a lot of science background... anatomy, biology, physiology. He got awards for high achievement in most of his classes. I'm hoping that science background with help with the alternative school aide position.

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 16, 2009

He's ump-ing with a couple of different softball associations... girls softball. In June, ASA (small college) softball starts up. He's doing travel ball right now... a tournament this weekend. If the weather holds up, he should get 6 games today.

I've been looking online at other systems' postings. I haven't thought about hospitals. I'll have to check into that, too.

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 16, 2009

I don't know about the coaching part. Schools would want someone with a teaching degree... get the most out of their hiring. Little League coaches are volunteers around here.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 16, 2009

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's pretty tight every where! I hope he finds something soon.

Alice, I've been out of the loop, I didn't know you had to have another biopsy. I'm so sorry and I'll keep you in my prayers.

I've been worried about my daughter with her new baby, and her husband. She's done well but had been just about physically disabled with the heart condition for the past 5 years. She had her last procedure last May and got pregnant in July (oops). Her heart won't ever be 100% percent again but she's fixed. She's dealing with sleep deprivation because Jackson doesn't sleep all night yet. I get 3 phone calls this week from her husband and he's telling me that she's not functioning like a well person?????? Oh my...he's a physical therapist and thinks she's falling into the trap where disabled people don't pick themselves back up and function normally. I had to go to her house, 30 miles away, after school this week and check things out for myself. She's just sleep-deprived and behind on her laundry!! My husband went there yesterday and helped her get caught up on things around the house. She hasn't asked for any help at all and is just behind. I called the SIN and had a long talk with him. Now I'm going to worry if he's being too hard on her at home.

20. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 16, 2009

Sleep deprivation can be extremely disabling, Hoot Owl. Maybe you can remind her husband of this. As a physical therapist he has probably seen the effects of stress in general on patients going through PT. I hope you manage to get a better grasp of the situation, and my best to your daughter. I will pray for her heart to be stronger.

21. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

SP, I am so sorry that you are feeling this economic punch. I would be the same way if it were my husband.

Hoot, I hope that Jackson will begin to sleep all night soon. Is there any way that you and your hubby can take him for a night or two to give DD a needed break? I think it is so sweet that your hubby went to give her a hand.

22. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 16, 2009

I have one more week of school and then I plan on spending at least one day a week with her. After she gets stronger and Jackson starts sleeping I think things will settle down. My hubby is the best!

23. smalltowngal

May 16, 2009

SP-I hope that your dh can find something between now and August. Keeping you in my prayers.

Hoot-how wonderful of your dh to go help out. I'll keep your daughter in my prayers.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 17, 2009

1) Money money money. I'm always so broke and I really don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Some days it's very depressing.

2) Where am I going to live when my lease is up? My boyfriend and I broke up, but we have to live together through September, and I don't know how I am going to afford living on my own.

3) Trying to lose weight before summer. It's getting down to the wire!

3) Guys. I feel like so many opportunities have opened up in the past few weeks since I broke up with my boyfriend. I'm not trying to rush into anything, but I feel like I really am ready to move on. I've met some great guys lately, and have run into some old friends as well. I guess I just don't know what to do, who to go out with, etc.

25. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 17, 2009

If you're young, strong, and healthy you can overcome anything.

26. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 17, 2009

Do you have any friends you could room with? Perhaps you could place a divider in the apartment you currently share with your ex-boyfriend to give you and him each other's privacy.

Just keep in mind the key to weight loss is to use up more calories than you consume. Increase your exercise and decrease your calorie-intake, while keeping the nutritional content the same. If you want some tips on low-calorie and high-nutrition foods, feel free to send me a PM.

If they're there, why not go for it? You can organize to meet at a restaurant or to go to his place to avoid the awkward situation of coming home to the apartment you share with your ex.

I hope everything works out for you, Driving Pigeon. My best wishes.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2009

I'm sick of being broke too! I can afford my bills & go shopping sometimes, but it would be nice to have a big windfall to travel or go on a big spree!

I'm not overweight, but I'd like to lose a good 50 pounds. The last weekend of June is my mom's friend's retirement party & I'd like to look fabulous...not that I don't now, but you know what I mean!

28. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 17, 2009

-Our district is falling apart at the seems
    -My hometown was hit by a tornado
    -Cleaning up tornado damage on the house I grew up in
    -I'm switching classrooms (but wasn't told a grade)
    -I was denied the extension on signing my contract upon finding out about my switching...I found out the day before they were to be signed
    -Interviewed in a district 3 hours from home...now waiting to hear
    -Potentially moving if I get the job
    -Wait...should I take the job??
    -My students are pushing every limit there could possibly be
    -My friend is being stupid and making me very angry

Oh how the little things just keep building up!!

29. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Ms. I, is this a typo? 50 pounds? I just looked on a height/weight ratio chart for healthy people and the delta between the lowest "small frame" weight and highest "large frame" weight was around 30 lbs. How could you lose 50 pounds and still be healthy? Curious minds ;)

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

Please don't take this as criticism, but can we assume you meant to say "5" pounds?

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2009

OK, well, I'm only 5'3", so I guess the weight I am now is considered overweight for my height. Maybe 40 pounds is good, then I'd be about 120...heck, I'd love to lose 15-20! Taking baby steps is the best way, then there's not this huge expectation & a higher chance at failure.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

Please forgive me if I sounded unkind. That most certainly was not my intention.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2009

I didn't take it negatively, but thanks for your latest comment! :)

34. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Ms. I, here's to your success!

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 17, 2009

Good luck, Ms. I!

I'm worry about a few things myself...
    Getting a new job, hoping my car doesn't die, fitting into a bridesmaids dress this summer. I'm sure a few other things to worry about will come to me :lol:

36. smalltowngal

May 17, 2009

Ms. I, I'm 5'5 and was told some time ago (you know, back when I actually weighted) that 120 was way underweight for me, and that I should be about 130. I laughed at that woman.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2009

Thanks TeacherShelly and TeacherNY! :) I wear a size 10 now w/ the weight I am now. I'd love to be a 3 or 5.

STG, for 5'3", I think 110 - 120 is good.

38. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 17, 2009

These are little things, hoping all goes well for you, at least hoping things get better.

39. smalltowngal

May 17, 2009

Ms.I, my goal is 10 more lbs. I'd love to be a size 5/6. I have those dang wide hips that make any size smaller than that impossible.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2009

I know there's a lot of rough times many posters are going through right now & I want to say that I hope things get easier fast & better things are yet to come! :love: