What Have You Been Worried About Lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 13, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 13, 2009

These days, my biggest worries are:

- Doing well on my finals & for my 3 college classes.

- Starting to get everything together in my app to grad school.

- Studying & passing the GRE that I just found out I hv to tk! :mad: So if anyone has any GRE info, tips, study book titles, etc., please post them in the thread I started in the OTHER TESTS section titled GRE. Thanks a lot! I need all the help I can get. I have a full month to study! :unsure:

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2009

My life has been relatively stress free lately. Sprout is going great, and I'm quite happy. But then I applied for that great school and did the preliminary interview, and now I worry about it all the time! The director said she'd like me to do a sample lesson and talked about Thursday. I thought for sure I'd hear back from her with a solid date and time, but nothing yet! I know it's only Tuesday, but Thursday is only a day away, and tomorrow is filled with moving. An observed lesson isn't something you just whip out. I have an idea, but I'm not even sure of the area she wants to me to teach. And then what if her not calling/e-mailing means she's not interested? It was such a great school.

My life was so peaceful before I found that job posting. I hate waiting.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 13, 2009

I had a meltdown the other night-- Mother's Day actually.

It seems I just can't get caught up.

The laundry is of course always an issue. The house is a mess, particularly with the new puppy-- everything has to be out of reach. Food shopping is hit or miss.

I collected projects from each of my kids last Tuesday, then had a test scheduled for Friday. Of course, I had to call in on Friday when Kira caught a stomach bug, and I got nothing graded all weekend (1st Communion and party, School sports night, then Mother's Day at my sister's.) So I arrived to school Monday with 8 sets of papers basically untouched; I didn't even have an answer key for the tests on Friday (the plan was to do them on Thursday night, before everyone started throwing up.) My free time in school this week has been largely taken up with proctoring; our Seniors are taking their final exams and anyone with a morning on-call has been coveing proctoring. So I haven't gotten anything graded during those periods.

And I really really really REALLY don't want to miss another day of school. I know the administration is fine with the year I've had, but I also know that parents have a hard time with a kid who fails when the teacher has been out as many times as I have. As a parent I most definitely see the point.

Basically, I NEED summer!!! I need to not worry about anything more important than whether I have time to run the vacuum before I let the kids into the pool. And if my kids are sick, I want that to be my main focus, not whether or not they'll last at school or whether Peter or I have more to lose by calling in sick again.

Oh, yeah. Then there's the endocrinologist Thursday, plastic surgeon next week, orthodontist for Brian the week after that, and the next surgery hopefully in June (but probably on my 20th anniversary in July.)

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

Mine all revolves around getting a job. I thought I would be ok but one interviewer told me there were 80 applicants for the last one. Ack! Then last week I got 2 notifications that I wasn't even going to get an interview, and I still haven't heard anything from the 3 schools I did interview for. One of them was a month ago.

So I now I still have time but I am starting to panic. I just want to get a job so my boyfriend and I can find a place and get engaged and get married.

So now I am playing out all these what-ifs. What if I don't get anything and I have to stay here again? Can I really take another year of driving 2 hours to see him and vice versa?

I also know if I get a last minute job, I am going to have to pack this place up and move out at the drop of a hat. I also am trying to decide what to do about my classroom. I think I should just pack it up now in case, but where am I going to put it all and what a hassle if I just have to unpack it next year.

Argggggggg.

Have a meeting at career services tomorrow so hopefully that will help me feel better.

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

I've been worried about getting a tooth pull in two weeks. I went to the dentist yesterday because I have an old filling that partially came out and part of the tooth has been chipping away. Now the tooth has an abscess and I have to get that cleared up before getting it pulled. A dentist runs a close second to needles as one of my biggest fears. He gave me some Valium to take before the extraction, hopefully this helps.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

- Getting all of my paper work ready to job search
    - Waiting on FL and NC to process all of my paperwork
    - Finding a job
    - Moving to said job (I'm dead broke at the moment)
    - Surviving what is shaping up to be a very long, very hot, very humid summer (which seem to hit me harder each year)

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

I'm almost finished with the 5 classes I took this semester, but I have one big project left. I have to write a budget for an elementary school. But there's one problem....we've had absolutely no instruction on how to write a budget! It's an online class and nothing has been related to this. I'm so stressed out because I just want to be done-but I don't know how to do it!

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

I'm stressed about money (who isn't). We have 170 or so in the checking account, 20 in the savings. I just paid daycare which is 148 and I'll have to get gas again this week. I can't wait till my husband gets paid on Friday!!!

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 13, 2009

I don't mean to focus too much on myself, but to be honest, I'm stressed out about my health. It seems my joint condition is getting harder and harder to cope with, and while I will do what I can, I am worried that it will interfere with my being a good father and teacher. I don't want my DS to think daddy won't play with him cause daddy doesn't love him. The joints in my hands are falling more and more out of alignment, making them harder to use and more painful. And yet I use my hands for everything! I use them to read, to communicate with my DW, to grade papers, to play instruments, to conduct, to do things around the house, etc. I have no idea what I will do if I can't use my hands.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2009

Wow. I have a lot of praying to do this morning.

12. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

love you jem :) I'll pray that you hear about your job!

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 13, 2009

My worries:

*going to the dentist next Saturday, think I have a cavity
    *saving up a down payment for a house in time to buy in Spring
    *hoping we can buy before the housing prices creep up on us
    *my husbands new job, is hopefully stable
    *me getting a new job

blindteacher -- I hope the best for you. I could not imagine going through that. Next to that, my worries seem like nothing.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2009

Prayer answered! Second interview tomorrow! Now I am worrying about what lesson to present... ;)

15. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 13, 2009

I've been on the verge of tears all week. I'm worried that the school I work in now is going to open up the applications to the public so that instead of competeing against 4 applicants I'll be competeing against 100.
    I'm worried about what it means when they open up the applications to the public... am I that bad of a teacher? What have I done wrong?
    I'm worried about my job prospects for the SUMMER.
    I'm worried about my fiance having to go on a business trip the same weekend my cousin gets married. If he has to go on the business trip, he won't meet the crazy side of the family until our wedding next year!

16. andi137

andi137 Companion

May 13, 2009

I dont post very often but this one really hit home. I seem to have a lot on my mind lately and no one to really vent about it.

I am worried about my parents getting a divorce. I mean you would think as a 26 year old who is not living at home that this would not be a big deal, but WOW!! It is really affecting me. Nothings for sure yet which is what makes me worry even more. I think I just want to know either way.

In the midst of this I am also worried about myown marriage. Our 1 year anniversary was this past sunday and man I dont even know if we will make it to 2 years. So many issues have came about after the vows its crazy!

I am also worried about losing weight. I have gained like 20 pounds since all this has been happening which has been most of this school year.
    Boy I could keep going on but these are the main ones. It feels good to kind of get it off my chest!!!

17. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 13, 2009

Thank you so much, Miss Wull. I just went to the doctor today for my hands and it's not looking so good. But they think physical therapy might help.

18. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 13, 2009

Best of luck on the GRE! And good luck on your finals and grad school apps as well.

Sorry to hear about your meltdown, Alice. I hope you manage to get your various things together and good luck at all your doctors' appointments next week. Just remember summer is coming soon!

I hope you manage to find a job as soon as possible, Silver Spoon.

Are you getting your wisdom tooth pulled or another tooth? I hope it's not painful.

Paperwork can really be a pain in the neck. Good luck on getting all your documents together.

Good luck on your project. I hope you figure out how to write a budget. Maybe you could research online?

Money is a real stressor, especially in these times. Are there any side jobs you could do, for example, tutoring, to bring in some more money?

Thank you for your prayers.

Good luck on the job front and I hope you don't have a cavity!

The competition in these times are so stressful! I really hope you get the position! I hope your fiance has a chance to meet your family sooner, too.

I'm so sorry to hear that! Divorce is always tough on children no matter what their age. I hope the divorce is as peaceful as possible. And best of luck in your marriage too.

My prayers and well wishes to everyone!

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

Leaving the cats home alone while we're on vacation. They'll have food and water, access to the house, a neighbor to check on them, but the four of them are our family.

But then again, I'm having a hard time sticking them in the car and bringing them north with us. We did that two years ago, and they hated the trip and hated where we stayed. Hated it.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 13, 2009

BT, how incredibly kind of you to respond to each of our fears, when your own are so very important.

21. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

May 13, 2009

Good Luck on the second interview Jem!

I'm worried about getting everything packed and moving...my closing date on my house is the 29th....last day of school...boy this should be fun! There's a chance that it could close earlier which would be great!

22. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 13, 2009

*sigh* Getting my students end of course exam. I'm trying hard, but it's a little overwhelming, but I've been getting less and less subtle hints that my employment might just rest on getting a passing 75-80% of my kids past this test, which I'm not sure I can make happen. In the beginning I was lost in the curriculum and admittedly a little bit lackadaisacal because I didn't realize how much of a crunch there would be at the end. But I'm really trying. We've been reviewing constantly almost an entire 6 weeks, but I'm just not positive. I'm starting to freak out a bit.

23. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 13, 2009

This is a tough one! Leaving your cats at home feels like abandoning your kids, but at the same time cats are very attached to places. So it's always a hard choice between leaving them at home and taking them along. Could you maybe have them stay at your neighbor's house?

24. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 13, 2009

The end of the year is always hard. Just remember there is only so much you can do -- and it sounds like you have done the most you can -- but even then, a lot of the success is in the hands of your students. And at least this year gave you an idea about timing for next year.

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 13, 2009

I'm worried about not being able to find a new teaching job.

I'm worried that I will find a new teaching job after I sign my new apartment lease and I won't be able to get out of my lease.

I'm worried that I will be stuck in my present teaching job at a school that does not value teachers and a principal who lets people (another program) talk to us like crap and then acts like we are crazy to think that we were talked to inappropriately.

I am worried that I will stuck in this city for another year and I will have to wait 2 more years to buy a house.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 13, 2009

I'm worried about:
    ~money and how we can pay all our bills on the little amount we make.
    ~finding a job for the next school year after searching for 2 years
    ~my masters classes- its the research class
    ~my dad being home, 7 miles outside of town, alone
    ~my sister and her marriage

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 13, 2009

I've been worried about my mom. She has seizures, an since Dad passed away in March she's by herself. I'm only three miles from her house, and I stop by or call every day. She's also got good neighbors who mow her yard and check on her. I still worry.

28. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

I've been worried about school. This has been a week full of appointments, rushing, and hurrying. Friday is a trip to 6 Flags for Homeschool Day. I'm wondering how to get as much done as we can.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

Wow you sound a lot like me. :)

30. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 13, 2009

I'm worried about this new chapter in my book. Being a recent grad what am I going to do with my life, where will I move, who will I be with. Everyone is pulling my in different directions and only I know what is best for me but I am afraid to do what is best for me.
    My biggest worry is FEAR.

31. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

Bt- how sweet of you to reply to everyone. My tooth is not a wisdom tooth. I do hope that pt helps your hand. To all those looking for a job, I hope you find one soon. To those with health problems, I hope all is well soon.

32. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 13, 2009

Proud2bateacher you should a lot like me as well with your first two things. The job and the lease.

33. english_bulldog

english_bulldog Rookie

May 13, 2009

Getting the money to pay for my remaining certification exams, ELA 8-12, ESL Supplemental, and Speech (to teach AVID). Each one of these costs $120, and then there is a $77 licensing fee. On top of all this, I have to take these three tests by August, and two of them are on the same day. The tests are going to have to be paid for by my fiance's paycheck, because tutoring ends next week. He makes minimum wage.

Also, my parents announced that they are moving out and "downsizing." This means that my fiance and I are going to have to find an apartment soon. Don't get me wrong - both my parents are close to retirement age, and I totally think they deserve to have money for traveling, etc. However, this does not make me any less frazzled. We're also having to do some redecorating to get the house up to par for selling...including spending this weekend redoing the bathroom..

34. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 13, 2009

This is the worry of so many in these times. I really hope we are able to come up with a new economic system soon so that we can be back in jobs.

35. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 13, 2009

Wow, that is very scary. Even though you check on her every day and your neighbors check on her, it only takes five minutes of alone time. Is she on anti-convulsant medication (if her seizures are epileptic)?

36. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

May 13, 2009

I am such a worrier, I don't even know where to start....

-so, I'm worried about our meeting with the bank tomorrow...to see whether we can get approved for a loan so we can FINALLY build our house! This has been such a long time coming, the plans are finalized, we have the land, we just need to be approved!
    -Then I worry that if we do get approved it will prove to be more than we can afford.
    -I worry about the long term security of my job (I know I have one next year, but there is talk of my school closing soon if enrollment doesn't stop declining).
    -I worry about my family's health (dad had cancer last year, and his next CAT scan is next month, brother had an unexplained heart attack two years ago).
    -I worry about my sister, who is 8 months pregnant. So far the pregnancy is going well, but I want things to be great...she wants this baby SO much!! (and I can't wait to be an aunt!!)

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2009

Thanks a lot, I need it! I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

And BT, I wish all the best with your condition w/ your hands.

38. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 14, 2009

Thank you, Ms. I., for your well wishes! I went to a specialist and found out my hands are quite arthritic. I am now looking into a special device that allows me to use my cane without grasping onto it. If this does not work I will look into a guide dog.

39. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

BT, I hope it all works our for you.

40. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 14, 2009

Thank you so much, DHE.

41. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 14, 2009

I am also a worrier..

- I worry about the real reason my boyfriend and i aren't getting engaged. I worry that it isn't because he isn't ready

-I worry about how many more years I have teaching, and what I will do when I can't teach anymore

-I worry about if I do get engaged to my boyfriend and him not understanding how hard a road he will have

-I worry about getting sicker and how much more I can take

-But right now most of all, I worry about getting my lesson plan book done before my observation:)

To everyone who has any worry-I hope everything works out and also there is no worry that is "better" than the other. Even if it is something little, it is still a big deal to you and that is what is important. I will be thinking of everyone who is looking for jobs, or for better health, or for anything else:)